Georgia 23 Notre Dame 17

16thBBall Fan

ND playoff chances gone now?

Yes and no. Them going on the road to a top 3 team and having a chance to won on their last possession. Is a lot better than previous games against top teams on national tv. With that said they obviously have to win out and probably get some style points a long the way with some wins by big margins to really get back in the talk. They need to hope OSU has their annual blow out lost to a bad team.

So now after saying all that, I guess yes chances aren't great lol. They will need a lot of help.

Not totally, but they need all of these to happen.

- Georgia win the SEC

- Alabama, LSU, Auburn to beat up on each other

- Two 2 loss Power 5 Champs

Notre Dame has a good enough schedule to make it a discussion about whether they get in over a 1 loss non conference champ.

I’m having a hard time deciding on what my ultimate takeaway is from that game last night. Was I wrong about ND or Georgia? Georgia didn’t look good last night. Notre Dame was very impressive, especially in the trenches. Georgia may not be in that elite group anymore. That Georgia team on the field last night is getting steamrolled by the rest of the teams in the top 6. Is Jake Fromm ever going to take the next step and stop being a game manager? I’m not sold on Georgia being able to win a national title anymore.

Hasn't there been a one loss team in the playoffs every year? This loss definitely did not ruin ND's playoff chances. It did reduce the margin for error for them the rest of the way.

If we are to analyze in general how much a loss hurts a teams chances, this loss is probably the best loss possible. It happens early in the year to a top 5 team on the road in the SEC and ND had a chance to win the game on their last possession.

Probably. But not just because of a close road loss to a top team.

The resentment of the 'independence' of ND is there. And since everyone else has to play in a conference championship the fact that ND skips the ACC Championship is something that ruffles feathers.

So if ND was going to go through Clemson in the ACC Championship I would say - no, the loss does not mean no playoff. However, since ND has only only two ranked teams left on its schedule - imploding Michigan and #21 Virginia - its hard to see how there is a case made for them this year now.

I’m having a hard time deciding on what my ultimate takeaway is from that game last night. Was I wrong about ND or Georgia? Georgia didn’t look good last night. Notre Dame was very impressive, especially in the trenches. Georgia may not be in that elite group anymore. That Georgia team on the field last night is getting steamrolled by the rest of the teams in the top 6. Is Jake Fromm ever going to take the next step and stop being a game manager? I’m not sold on Georgia being able to win a national title anymore.

I agree with a lot that you said. Fromm doesn’t seem like he’s playing any different since he’s been at Georgia and that spells trouble for them IMO with making the playoff. They are still the best of the SEC east, but I don’t see them coming close to beating Alabama or LSU right now. With saying that, Notre Dame did impress me, they played better overall than I expected, especially playing on the road.

I agree with a lot that you said. Fromm doesn’t seem like he’s playing any different since he’s been at Georgia and that spells trouble for them IMO with making the playoff. They are still the best of the SEC east, but I don’t see them coming close to beating Alabama or LSU right now. With saying that, Notre Dame did impress me, they played better overall than I expected, especially playing on the road.

I agree with all of this. It’s possible to be extremely disappointed in UGA but at the same time impressed with ND.

Probably. But not just because of a close road loss to a top team.

The resentment of the 'independence' of ND is there. And since everyone else has to play in a conference championship the fact that ND skips the ACC Championship is something that ruffles feathers.

So if ND was going to go through Clemson in the ACC Championship I would say - no, the loss does not mean no playoff. However, since ND has only only two ranked teams left on its schedule - imploding Michigan and #21 Virginia - its hard to see how there is a case made for them this year now.

This is my thinking as well. This loss, in and of itself, doesn't preclude them from making the playoffs. However there isn't enough meat on their remaining schedule for them to jump other one loss teams, should there be 4 or 5 others. They can make it, but a lot of craziness needs to happen between now and December.