Do you have any big plans for 420 Day?

theguru

I figure it never hurts to ask. :sssh:

And while I was reading up I came across this Time article tracing the probable origin of the term 420 as code for marijuana:

The most credible story traces 4/20 to Marin County, Calif. In 1971, five students at San Rafael High School would meet at 4:20 p.m. by the campus’ statue of chemist Louis Pasteur to partake. They chose that specific time because extracurricular activities had usually ended by then. This group — Steve Capper, Dave Reddix, Jeffrey Noel, Larry Schwartz, and Mark Gravich — became known as the “Waldos” because they met at a wall. They would say “420” to each other as code for marijuana.

As Reddix told TIME in 2017, “We got tired of the Friday-night football scene with all of the jocks. We were the guys sitting under the stands smoking a doobie, wondering what we were doing there.”

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna go to church, but then I got high....

I was gonna hunt some Easter eggs, but then I got high...

Woke up and it's Derby Day, and I know why...

Because I got high, because I got high, because I got hiiiiiiigh.

... yeah no plans. Heading home to Louisville for the weekend. My sister is coming in from Kansas City with her family. That's it.

Nope, but Boone County has their prom on 4/20. And to boot, it is Easter weekend with Sonrise services the next day. It makes no sense why they schedule prom on Easter weekend.

The Government isn't required to "check with" any religious populations before scheduling an event so it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't personally, but I have a couple of hipster neighbors who I assume will be treating 4/20 just like any other day....and by that I mean, yes. Big weed plans.

Do you think your neighbors were hipsters first or do you think the devil's lettuce made them hipsters?

The Government isn't required to "check with" any religious populations before scheduling an event so it makes perfect sense to me.

You won't get an argument from me about whether the government is required to do so. Of course, there is no law against taking your community's culture into account when planning events. Failing to give these kinds of things any consideration is, well, inconsiderate, like offering a free lunch buffet as a morale booster to employees of a public school in Detroit during the month of Ramadan. There certainly isn't any law against it but I would question the prudence of doing so. Scheduling prom on Easter weekend is one of these things where it is lawful but a little inconsiderate on the part of the school administration. I also think having the Homecoming Dance on a Friday night, after the football game is inconsiderate to the athletes, band, and cheerleaders. They get to the dance late, and in the case of the players, are a little too tired to really partake of the festivities. Saturday night would be a fine night for a Homecoming Dance.

There may be reasons of which I am unaware that prom was scheduled on 4/20, like availability of the venue, but to not take cultural issues into account when planning events is shortsighted.

You won't get an argument from me about whether the government is required to do so. Of course, there is no law against taking your community's culture into account when planning events. Failing to give these kinds of things any consideration is, well, inconsiderate, like offering a free lunch buffet as a morale booster to employees of a public school in Detroit during the month of Ramadan. There certainly isn't any law against it but I would question the prudence of doing so. Scheduling prom on Easter weekend is one of these things where it is lawful but a little inconsiderate on the part of the school administration. I also think having the Homecoming Dance on a Friday night, after the football game is inconsiderate to the athletes, band, and cheerleaders. They get to the dance late, and in the case of the players, are a little too tired to really partake of the festivities. Saturday night would be a fine night for a Homecoming Dance.

There may be reasons of which I am unaware that prom was scheduled on 4/20, like availability of the venue, but to not take cultural issues into account when planning events is shortsighted.

You assume that they didn’t take things into consideration. Our junior prom is tomorrow night and I can tell you why it was scheduled as such. Venue. You don’t want prom in March. No way we could have it Derby weekend, not because Derby is sacred, but because we wouldn’t have a venue or rentals. I’ve been the prom coordinator before. There is soooo much to consider in every decision. What is happening on Sunday is just one of those things.