MLB Rule Changes

Some new changes coming to the game.

MLB to implement new rule changes that will shake up look of sport

Among the major ones...

* Pitcher to be required to face at least three batters. (Starting in 2020)

* Mound visits reduced from six to five. Next year may be only four.

* Hard trade deadline of July 31. Nothing after that.

* Commercial breaks between innings shortened by 20 seconds (down to 2 minutes)

* Minimum time spent on DL is going back to 15 days (no more 10 day)

* And beginning next year, September call ups will involve all of 2 players. There'll be 26 roster players during most of the season...then 28 during September.

Noticably missing is the pitch clock. Apparently it's been shelved. (Which is good, in my opinion.)

Did you guys see the minor league rule test changes this year?

-The mound will be moved back 2 feet, midway through the season.

-The bases will be larger, in effect shortening the distance 4" between home and first.

-Computer called Balls and Strikes.

It's just taking place in one of the independent leagues.

-The bases will be larger, in effect shortening the distance 4" between home and first.

I’m guessing this league is doing it on their own and MLB has nothing to do with these changes.

I hate the 3 batter limit. To me that is just dumb and eliminates a lot of strategy. I know the 3 batter limit will require a different kind of strategy but I prefer the old way.

So if a pitcher comes in with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning and gets the first guy he faces out to end the inning, does he have to pitch to at least the first two batters in the bottom of the seventh inning? If so, what if his spot comes as a batter in the top of the seventh inning? Is the manager not allowed to pinch hit for him?

So if a pitcher comes in with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning and gets the first guy he faces out to end the inning, does he have to pitch to at least the first two batters in the bottom of the seventh inning? If so, what if his spot comes as a batter in the top of the seventh inning? Is the manager not allowed to pinch hit for him?

I would assume they could hit for them.

Yeah, I think the rule only applies within that half an inning. What they're trying to eliminate is the extra walks to the mound by the manager and the time it takes to have a reliever come in and do his warm up pitches.

Moving the mound back is just plain stupid. Look at the number of arm injuries they already have...and now you want the pitchers to throw farther?!? If they think there's too much of an advantage for the pitcher, then what they need to do is what they did the last time they thought that...and lower the mound height.

I would assume they could hit for them.

Yeah, I think the rule only applies within that half an inning. What they're trying to eliminate is the extra walks to the mound by the manager and the time it takes to have a reliever come in and do his warm up pitches.

The rule reads that there is a 3 batter minimum barring injury OR the end of the inning. So it would allow a pitcher to face one batter then he replaced at the beginning of the next inning.