Taft (OH) 40 Covington Catholic 38

Lots of weaknesses exposed for CovCath

Shooting and FT shooting were awful.

I haven't seen any stats, but they're not gonna be pretty. :no:

Taft played poorly as well.

It was an all around ugly game, and probably the worst I've seen in quite awhile.

It was an all around ugly game, and probably the worst I've seen in quite awhile.

I am assuming that CovCath played down to Taft’s level?

I made the same statement, about it being the worst game maybe I have ever watched between what are suppose to be two pretty good teams.

Taft is ranked 29th in Ohio according to MaxPreps, so they aren’t chumps. Not a bad loss. Good game to learn what need to work on.

They indeed have strong talented athletes with loads of potential, and no doubt both teams pestered each other to avoid anything coming easy, but still Taft, and CovCath included just kept tossing up rushed brick after brick even when wide open, and missing sure bet close range shots, as well as both being dismal at the line making it appear that both are vulgarly overrated.

I kept reflecting back to preseason when the word on the street was that CovCath would again be the team to beat in the 9th, and I'm sure of it that with their all around talent and toughness, Cooper will without doubt be the team to beat them. We already know that Highlands did.

It pains me to say this, and especially about the Colonels, but both teams just came away looking rather pedestrian with their game, and forgive me because I know that they exerted a ton of energy in this loss, but I saw nothing that might suggest that CovCath has any real shooters on their team.

I know a team can have an off night, but seems that this is more than just a fluke, and they've nary a player that can really light it up.

I suppose that's just the way it goes, and they can't always be so fortunate as they've been in their recent past, but who exactly were the hype builders ( admittedly I bought into it too) referring to when they thought that CovCath was infallible?

To be fair they do play their guts out, and no one could call them a cupcake, but I don't know that they can actually live up to the hype, and feel for them that they've perhaps been unfairly asked to maintain the standard of what we all have come to expect from the boys in blue up on the Dixie Hwy.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it might be time for a sobering dose of reality that even while they're bound to have their share of successes this season, that pre-season 9th Region crowning of them might've been a bit too premature.

Still for them there's much room for improvement, and lots to learn, and realizing just what a good program they have at CovCath, I do expect to see a team much better prepared come post season.