BluegrassPreps Class 2A Football Rankings (9/24) Discussion

Ram

Class 2A

Mayfield made a statement with a downright dominant performance as they took 3A Corbin to the woodshed across state lines. The Cardinals now look to do some housekeeping as they square off with Murray in what should amount to the District Championship game. DeSales got a nice challenge from Lexington Catholic but eventually prevailed. The Colts have one more challenge before District play begins and 6A North Hardin is no team to overlook. Somerset continues to ride their stout defense to victories. The Jumpers will need to continue that trend against an excellent 1A Raceland squad. Walton-Verona falls just on the outside of the Top 10 once more. The Bearcats have an opportunity to move up with 1A Paintsville making the long trek.

1. DeSales at 6A #10 North Hardin

2. Mayfield at Murray

3. Christian Academy of Louisville vs. 6A Meade County

4. Owensboro Catholic vs. McLean County

5. Somerset vs. 1A #2 Raceland

6. Glasgow vs. Green County

7. Danville at 6A Tates Creek

8. Lloyd vs. 6A Conner

9. Lexington Christian vs. Middlesboro

10. Newport Central Catholic -- OPEN

From what I heard it was pretty much 1 way... I'd also say high school football is a far cry from NFL. Lol

True. But scrimmages do have to be taken with a grain of salt because it is hard to know exactly what each team is trying to get from it. I watched a scrimmage once where a team ran the same play ten straight times - it wasn't working but they were working on blocking assignments. I also saw a three-team scrimmage this year where a team had prepared for one opponent but hadn't done anything for the other. I say all of that not to make excuses (or to argue for or against Lloyd and Walton), but just to say there are so many factors that go into scrimmaging.

The Owensboro Catholic and McLean County has a chance to be a big time game.

I'm interested to see if McLean can give them a run. Owensboro Catholic has traditionally been head and shoulders above the rest of that district but McLean seems pretty solid. It does seem like things have started to click of late for the Aces.

I'm interested to see if McLean can give them a run. Owensboro Catholic has traditionally been head and shoulders above the rest of that district but McLean seems pretty solid. It does seem like things have started to click of late for the Aces.

I agree. What caught my eye on this game was that Apollo beat McLean by 3. Owensboro Catholic won by 3 on pretty much a last second field goal. I usually don’t like to compare scores, but catching that stat intrigued me on this one.

True. But scrimmages do have to be taken with a grain of salt because it is hard to know exactly what each team is trying to get from it. I watched a scrimmage once where a team ran the same play ten straight times - it wasn't working but they were working on blocking assignments. I also saw a three-team scrimmage this year where a team had prepared for one opponent but hadn't done anything for the other. I say all of that not to make excuses (or to argue for or against Lloyd and Walton), but just to say there are so many factors that go into scrimmaging.

I get it... but I've been around football for a long time and coached for 18 years... scrimmage here in NKY usually goes as a live game 1st half and 2nd half is for your practice plays, 2nds, etc... with that being said, my point is that this ranking system can't be correct. Need some refining as Lloyd Walton game is a good example.

Owensboro Catholic didn't just win by a last second field goal. They had a run by Williams down to the Apollo 2 called back with 6 min left in 4th quarter that would have probably put them up 40-17. Next play they throw a pick and Apollo scores then gets an onside and scores again late. Apollo made a great comeback at the end to make it a ball game. McLean has got a tough football team this year. If this game was at McLean I'd be a little more leary but it's not and Owensboro Catholic's offense is finding their stride right now. I expect it to be tight early and maybe even just a two score game midway through the 3rd but eventually OC's playmakers will take over and pull away and win by 3-4 touchdowns.

New Cath has played one heck of a schedule....with that said, they have yet to win many quality games in my book. Doesn't mean they are weak, it's that it hard to tell where they stand in 2A. Also they are one of the smallest team in 2A , don't they drop to 1A next year..

No now there district is that bad. But they have played Cal, Belfry, Campbell, and Conner. That don't seem like a walk in the park. There isn't a team ranked below them that could handle that kind of schedule. Seems to me you really hold a grudge against them.

And they weren’t competitive in a single one of those games. So if they’re #10, 2A must be really weak outside the top 4. Also, Lloyd is the best team in that district.