Some baseball related things on KHSAA Board of Control docket for Thursday (9-20):

Some baseball related things on KHSAA Board of Control docket for Thursday (9-20):

4.6. Consider Alternative Formats State Baseball

4.7. Staff Discretion on Postseason Site Specifications

4.8. BGSG Request - for scrimmage exemption

4.9. Local Authority for 3rd Inning 15 Run Rule

Link to full docket:

KSBA's Public Portal

Was told they are going to go back to the old format from 10 or so years ago and only take 8 teams to the state tournament and bring that semi state thing back again. So I guess they think it’s good to only have 8 teams at the state tournament instead of 16. Wonder if they’d ever cut the basketball sweet 16 field in half :) hopefully this isnt true.

Was told they are going to go back to the old format from 10 or so years ago and only take 8 teams to the state tournament and bring that semi state thing back again. So I guess they think it’s good to only have 8 teams at the state tournament instead of 16. Wonder if they’d ever cut the basketball sweet 16 field in half :) hopefully this isnt true.

From the annual meeting today it sounded like whatever format they use, it will be used in both baseball and softball.

I'm six in one hand, a half dozen in the other on this decision honestly.

Having been an assistant coach in a semi-state best 2 out of 3 series to reach the state tournament I don't have an issue with it being this way, the only drawback is that the losing team doesn't get that "We made the state tournament feeling that they would have received if they had played at Whitaker Bank ballpark or wherever it is hosted later on down the road.

Playing at a neutral site high school field just doesn't have the same feeling of accomplishment that I would think a Regional winner deserves..... even if they get bounced in the first round of the tournament.

I can see why they would do this in regards to a time issue. Baseball takes a long time to play a game, even a 7 inning game. Having to spread a tournament out over a 2 weekend span is not fun either. Travel & hotel expenses for teams, hotel expenses for parents and fans, & having to fit around the home schedule of the Legends isn't always easy. Being able to knock this out in a Thursday ---->Sat or Friday----->Sun scenario is much easier to do with a 4/2/1 tournament game bracket than a 4/4/4/2/1 scenario over two weekends.

True, but thought over two weekends would help smaller schools,a little.

Then semi-state should be pretty similar. The semi-state was the week before when they used to do it. A small school can use their ace, advance, use their ace again. I'd say for small schools it increases their chances of making the final four.

I don’t see how they are going to get all the post season in the time frame they have scheduled, and to get the region and semi state in before June 5th is not going to give any small school a fighting chance. Region has to start May 27 (Memorial Day) with weather and graduations most regions are not getting done until Friday or Saturday. That means finishing may 31 or June 1. That leaves June 2 which is a Sunday, which some regions where making plans on having to play championship that day. So no semi state starting that day. That leaves you Monday and Tuesday, June 3 and 4 to get semi state in with state tournament starting June 5th. You better have a lot of pitching and definitely will been benifit the bigger school with more depth. Also going to be a shame to not see some of the better pitchers throw at the state tournament because they had to throw in semi state to just get there team there. I don’t like the set up!

I don’t see how they are going to get all the post season in the time frame they have scheduled, and to get the region and semi state in before June 5th is not going to give any small school a fighting chance. Region has to start May 27 (Memorial Day) with weather and graduations most regions are not getting done until Friday or Saturday. That means finishing may 31 or June 1. That leaves June 2 which is a Sunday, which some regions where making plans on having to play championship that day. So no semi state starting that day. That leaves you Monday and Tuesday, June 3 and 4 to get semi state in with state tournament starting June 5th. You better have a lot of pitching and definitely will been benifit the bigger school with more depth. Also going to be a shame to not see some of the better pitchers throw at the state tournament because they had to throw in semi state to just get there team there. I don’t like the set up!

I thought I saw that they were allowing region tournament play to begin on the Saturday before Memorial Day?

Might be. I haven’t seen that yet that would help but cause another problem between the dist. And the region tournaments. There was two districts in our region that didn’t get done until Friday that week because of weather and two of the teams playing having graduation that week. One of those districts played their district championship game at 2:00 on that Friday afternoon. Doesn’t leave much time for a district draw much less the pitching issues it causes. It will all workout, always does but i think they have created more problems then they have solved.