2018 All BluegrassPreps.com Boys Basketball Team Discussion

2018 All BluegrassPreps.com Boys Basketball Team

Continuing its tradition of leadership in Kentucky high school sports information, news and discussion, BluegrassPreps.com announces its seventh annual All-BluegrassPreps.com Boys Basketball Team.

BluegrassPreps.com honors the state's top 10 players, with emphasis on building a true team. The All-BluegrassPreps.com team recognizes 10 players whose versatility and all-around contributions to their respective teams sets them apart.

2018 All BluegrassPreps.com Team

Dontaie Allen - Pendleton County

Trevon Faulkner - Mercer County

CJ Fredrick - Covington Catholic

Adam Kunkel - Cooper

Michael Moreno - Scott County

Mickey Pearson - John Hardin

Skyelar Potter - Warren Central

Jay Scrubb - Trinity

KyKy Tandy - University Heights Academy

Detorrion Ware - Christian County

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: CJ Fredrick - Covington Catholic

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the list was just made at the start of the season, doesn't look like the production from the season was taken into account if you are picking the ten best performers from the 2017-2018 basketball season.

Steven Fitzgerald had a better season than 95% of the players on your list.

Looks like the list was just made at the start of the season, doesn't look like the production from the season was taken into account if you are picking the ten best performers from the 2017-2018 basketball season.

Who does he play for?

You're kidding, right? He had a fine season I'm sure, but you do realize your comment literally states that only one player on this list had a better season than Fitzgerald. In the words of Chris Carter..."Com' on man"!

And to be honest, I don't know if there is a player on this list that I would take off in favor of him. I think it's a pretty tight list.

Who does he play for?

Just to add a little info to this claim instead of a simple number, Fitzgerald averaged 30.2 ppg (all these numbers are flexible because Pulaski County posted no stats over the last four games), shot 55% from the field, 39% from three, and grabbed 8.4 rebounds per game. Team was 22-10 and lost to Southwestern in regional semifinals, a slight disappointment in the eyes of most around the 12th Region.

Pulaski played four of the teams that had all-state players - Trinity, Cooper, Mercer, and John Hardin. Numbers in those games:

vs. Trinity (LOST 86-76); 41 points on 14-35 shooting, 4-10 from three, 4 rebounds (Scrubb had 18 & 7)

vs. Cooper (LOST 74-52); 33 points on 9-21 shooting, 2-8 from three, 4 rebounds (Kunkel had 22 & 10)

vs. Mercer County (LOST 80-70); 35 points on 15-29 shooting, 4-14 from three, 11 rebounds (Faulkner had 24 & 5)

vs. John Hardin (WON 82-76); 33 points on 8-19 shooting, 1-4 from three, 13 rebounds (Pearson had 25 & 12)

vs. Mercer County (LOST 86-84); didn't play due to suspension (Faulkner 32 & 11)

Clearly he is a great player. I don't think anyone is at fault for thinking Fitzgerald is an all-state player. However, leaving him off the list is hardly a crime since the ten listed are also terrific players. The numbers, at least to me, show him right on the edge of the list.

Just to add a little info to this claim instead of a simple number, Fitzgerald averaged 30.2 ppg (all these numbers are flexible because Pulaski County posted no stats over the last four games), shot 55% from the field, 39% from three, and grabbed 8.4 rebounds per game. Team was 22-10 and lost to Southwestern in regional semifinals, a slight disappointment in the eyes of most around the 12th Region.

Pulaski played four of the teams that had all-state players - Trinity, Cooper, Mercer, and John Hardin. Numbers in those games:

vs. Trinity (LOST 86-76); 41 points on 14-35 shooting, 4-10 from three, 4 rebounds (Scrubb had 18 & 7)

vs. Cooper (LOST 74-52); 33 points on 9-21 shooting, 2-8 from three, 4 rebounds (Kunkel had 22 & 10)

vs. Mercer County (LOST 80-70); 35 points on 15-29 shooting, 4-14 from three, 11 rebounds (Faulkner had 24 & 5)

vs. John Hardin (WON 82-76); 33 points on 8-19 shooting, 1-4 from three, 13 rebounds (Pearson had 25 & 12)

vs. Mercer County (LOST 86-84); didn't play due to suspension (Faulkner 32 & 11)

Clearly he is a great player. I don't think anyone is at fault for thinking Fitzgerald is an all-state player. However, leaving him off the list is hardly a crime since the ten listed are also terrific players. The numbers, at least to me, show him right on the edge of the list.

44% in those games

Good post.

You're kidding, right? He had a fine season I'm sure, but you do realize your comment literally states that only one player on this list had a better season than Fitzgerald. In the words of Chris Carter..."Com' on man"!

And to be honest, I don't know if there is a player on this list that I would take off in favor of him. I think it's a pretty tight list.

That was my initial thought as well.

Understand who do you take off but who on that list had a better but season than Fitzgerald? Outside the kids who led their team to state can’t say one did.

Also, Harmon led the state in scoring and Free Throw % which was 2 Of the 6 individual awards given out at the Mr Basketball banquet, he was only one to win multiple awards from the season, hard to leave him off as well.

If you had either one of them on the list and took any one person off you could make the same argument for the guy left off, but just hard for me to see someone over Fitzgerald with the number he put up and the schedule he played and performances against top tier teams.

Understand who do you take off but who on that list had a better but season than Fitzgerald? Outside the kids who led their team to state can’t say one did.

Also, Harmon led the state in scoring and Free Throw % which was 2 Of the 6 individual awards given out at the Mr Basketball banquet, he was only one to win multiple awards from the season, hard to leave him off as well.

If you had either one of them on the list and took any one person off you could make the same argument for the guy left off, but just hard for me to see someone over Fitzgerald with the number he put up and the schedule he played and performances against top tier teams.

Every person on that list made their team better this season with the exception of Kunkel and he was most likely at worst a top 5 Mr. Basketball candidate all season. To me that is the glaring difference between the kids that made this list and Zion Harmon and Steven Fitzgerald not making the list.

Not to mention the voting on this team takes place after the Sweet 16 so a full season with the postseason taken under consideration when it comes to the voting as well. Every player on that list led their team to at least the region finals with the exceptions of Dontaie Allen and Adam Kunkel who led Cooper to the region semis where they lost to the eventual state champion by 4 points. Closest margin of victory for CovCath since January 23rd.