Enrollment and Class assignment questions

Walk The Plank

Could somebody please tell me how Central, with an enrollment of just over a thousand, and Corbin, with an enrollment of just around a thousand manage to stay 3-A while Belfry, with an enrollment of less than 700 stays 3-A? Even 1-A Pikeville, Belfry's next opponent has an enrollment of around 800! I know Corbin and Pikeville are Independent schools yet Central is Public! What gives? Assuming everything holds true to form in the playoffs can Belfry go on the road to Louisville and beat a Central team that is I think, 29-2 at home in the playoffs? Assuming they can and Corbin breezes thru an easy bracket would they not have to travel to CAM, where I think Belfry is 30-2 in playoff games to play Belfry in the semis? An even bigger joke is the class rankings in West Virginia. BOTH Huntington and Cabell Midland have enrollments between 1500 and 2000 and would easily be two of the largest 6-A teams in KY because of the classification restraints are a mere 3-A in WV! I think Belfry has a legit chance for a thumb ring!

Has nothing to do with total Enrollment, it averages out the number of boys a school has. Belfry during the last had a high average of boys. Central has ALOT of girls in their school, but they average the same amount of boys as Belfry does. I've done a whole post about this before. Enrollment reports are on the KHSAA website.

Could somebody please tell me how Central, with an enrollment of just over a thousand, and Corbin, with an enrollment of just around a thousand manage to stay 3-A while Belfry, with an enrollment of less than 700 stays 3-A? Even 1-A Pikeville, Belfry's next opponent has an enrollment of around 800! I know Corbin and Pikeville are Independent schools yet Central is Public! What gives? Assuming everything holds true to form in the playoffs can Belfry go on the road to Louisville and beat a Central team that is I think, 29-2 at home in the playoffs? Assuming they can and Corbin breezes thru an easy bracket would they not have to travel to CAM, where I think Belfry is 30-2 in playoff games to play Belfry in the semis? An even bigger joke is the class rankings in West Virginia. BOTH Huntington and Cabell Midland have enrollments between 1500 and 2000 and would easily be two of the largest 6-A teams in KY because of the classification restraints are a mere 3-A in WV! I think Belfry has a legit chance for a thumb ring!

Shuttlesorth is right about the alignment. The most recent alignment was done in 2014 and is in place for the 2015-2018 seasons.

That alignment was based on a 4 year average of boys enrollment only. While Belfry only has 326 boys in the 2016/17 class, they had quite a bit more boys in the previous 4 classes (2011-2014) prior to realignment. Belfry's male enrollment was 387, 411, 394 and 331 for those 4 years, and that is what the KHSAA used to form the most recent alignment.

You can look at several years of enrollment figures here ---> Enrollment Reports | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

For comparison, here is the total enrollment (4 Grades) and male enrollment figures for some notable 3A schools, and also for Pikeville, who has no where near the enrollment you quoted. These figures are for the 2016/17 school year

Belfry, 612 total, 326 boys

Pikeville, 358 total, 195 boys

Lexington Catholic, 842 total, 451 boys

Boyle County, 865 total, 436 boys

Corbin, 927 total, 465 boys

Central 1108 total, 361 boys

Central has way more girls than boys because their nursing program is so strong. A fact that I'm sure the boys all enjoy :D

@Watusi, dropping down to 2A at the next realignment is a very real possibility for Belfry, correct? It's crazy to think that after all the success they've had in recent years that they'd actually drop down a class.

Conversely, I look for Corbin to move up to 4A soon. Their enrollment has been trending up lately.

I don't think Belfry will drop, DMC. Their 4 year avg enrollment would still put them in the lower third of 3A IMO.

@Watusi, dropping down to 2A at the next realignment is a very real possibility for Belfry, correct? It's crazy to think that after all the success they've had in recent years that they'd actually drop down a class.

Conversely, I look for Corbin to move up to 4A soon. Their enrollment has been trending up lately.

They won't drop down, Belfry isn't losing boys at a rate that they'll drop down any time soon. Belfry has more boys then they did in the early 2000's. Corbin will move up and I'd look for Johnson Central to join 5A

They won't drop down, Belfry isn't losing boys at a rate that they'll drop down any time soon. Belfry has more boys then they did in the early 2000's. Corbin will move up and I'd look for Johnson Central to join 5A
The economy, especially the decline in the coal industry, has not been good.

BHS has lost quite a bit of boys, too. Not as fast as girls, but still a significantly drop after 4 straight years of high male enrollment.

Boys enrollment peaked in 11/12 at 411 and has dropped 20.7% to 326.

Girls enrollment peaked in 10/11 at 382 and has dropped 25.1% to 286.

That is a big drop in only 5-6 years.

4 Year Avg boys enrollment from 09/10 yr through 12/13 yr = 392

4 Year Avg boys enrollment from 13/14 yr through 16/14 yr = 334

I don't know what the current year, 17/18 enrollment figures are, but it would be interesting to note.

Enrollment for Belfry High School

[TABLE=width: 256]

[TR]

[TD=width: 64]Year[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, width: 64, align: right]Total[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, width: 64, align: right]Boys[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, width: 64, align: right]Girls[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]07/08[/TD]

[TD=align: right]704[/TD]

[TD=align: right]349[/TD]

[TD=align: right]355[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]08/09[/TD]

[TD=align: right]714[/TD]

[TD=align: right]351[/TD]

[TD=align: right]363[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]09/10[/TD]

[TD=align: right]721[/TD]

[TD=align: right]375[/TD]

[TD=align: right]346[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10/11[/TD]

[TD=align: right]769[/TD]

[TD=align: right]387[/TD]

[TD=align: right]382[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11/12[/TD]

[TD=align: right]767[/TD]

[TD=align: right]411[/TD]

[TD=align: right]356[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12/13[/TD]

[TD=align: right]738[/TD]

[TD=align: right]394[/TD]

[TD=align: right]344[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]13/14[/TD]

[TD=align: right]649[/TD]

[TD=align: right]331[/TD]

[TD=align: right]318[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14/15[/TD]

[TD=align: right]615[/TD]

[TD=align: right]341[/TD]

[TD=align: right]274[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]15/16[/TD]

[TD=align: right]634[/TD]

[TD=align: right]338[/TD]

[TD=align: right]296[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]16/17[/TD]

[TD=align: right]612[/TD]

[TD=align: right]326[/TD]

[TD=align: right]286

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The economy, especially the decline in the coal industry, has not been good.

BHS has lost quite a bit of boys, too. Not as fast as girls, but still a significantly drop after 4 straight years of high male enrollment.

Boys enrollment peaked in 11/12 at 411 and has dropped 20.7% to 326.

Girls enrollment peaked in 10/11 at 382 and has dropped 25.1% to 286.

That is a big drop in only 5-6 years.

4 Year Avg boys enrollment from 09/10 yr through 12/13 yr = 392

4 Year Avg boys enrollment from 13/14 yr through 16/14 yr = 334

I don't know what the current year, 17/18 enrollment figures are, but it would be interesting to note.

Enrollment for Belfry High School

[TABLE=width: 256]

[TR]

[TD=width: 64]Year[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, width: 64, align: right]Total[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, width: 64, align: right]Boys[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, width: 64, align: right]Girls[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]07/08[/TD]

[TD=align: right]704[/TD]

[TD=align: right]349[/TD]

[TD=align: right]355[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]08/09[/TD]

[TD=align: right]714[/TD]

[TD=align: right]351[/TD]

[TD=align: right]363[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]09/10[/TD]

[TD=align: right]721[/TD]

[TD=align: right]375[/TD]

[TD=align: right]346[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10/11[/TD]

[TD=align: right]769[/TD]

[TD=align: right]387[/TD]

[TD=align: right]382[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11/12[/TD]

[TD=align: right]767[/TD]

[TD=align: right]411[/TD]

[TD=align: right]356[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12/13[/TD]

[TD=align: right]738[/TD]

[TD=align: right]394[/TD]

[TD=align: right]344[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]13/14[/TD]

[TD=align: right]649[/TD]

[TD=align: right]331[/TD]

[TD=align: right]318[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14/15[/TD]

[TD=align: right]615[/TD]

[TD=align: right]341[/TD]

[TD=align: right]274[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]15/16[/TD]

[TD=align: right]634[/TD]

[TD=align: right]338[/TD]

[TD=align: right]296[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]16/17[/TD]

[TD=align: right]612[/TD]

[TD=align: right]326[/TD]

[TD=align: right]286

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Unrelated question to the topic, but has something happened since 10/11 that has caused such a gap between the numbers of girls and boys?

Unrelated question to the topic, but has something happened since 10/11 that has caused such a gap between the numbers of girls and boys?
I think when Belfry won their first state championship in 2003, Coach Haywood made a request for people to have more boys and less girls. :D

Seriously, I don't know but I am not aware of anything other than just an unusual trend.