Is 2A the premier class in the Bluegrass?

When a program with the recent success of Mayfield begins the season ranked 5th in the BGP class rankings, the safe answer is... yeah, probably. No other class in the state can boast as much quality and depth at the top than 2A.

You want brand name programs? How about the Danville Admirals, Newport Central Catholic Thoroughbreds, and the aforementioned Mayfield Cardinals? Those three schools have combined for 27 state championships. Mayfield is Mayfield, their presence here requires no explanation. The top ranked Admirals, under the guidance of Clay Clevenger, appear to be reclaiming their rightful place among Kentucky's elite and return loads of talent from last year's runner-up. And NewCath has long proven itself a championship winning program and a force to be reckoned with year in and year out.

You want depth? Consider this... If the 7th ranked 'Breds are standing victorious at Kroger Field in December, would anyone truly be shocked? Given their championship pedigree and schedule strength, they should be right in the mix, as they always are.

I haven't even mentioned last season's champions, Christian Academy-Louisville, who return plenty of talent from that 2016 squad, including the best player in the class, all-around playmaker Milton Wright. Right in CAL's own back yard is their chief rival, DeSales. The Colts won back to back titles in 2013 & 2014, and have remained among 2A's elite over the past two seasons and don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

The 3rd ranked Eagles of Lexington Christian Academy will also have plenty to say about how this all shakes out, returning just as much, if not more, offensive firepower than anyone. I pity the defenses tasked with slowing them down this year.

Then you've got perennial contender, Owensboro Catholic. The Aces have have been the runner-up in this class a handful of times over the years and consistently hover around the top 5, starting out this year at #6. Coach John Edge has a couple of possible future D1 talents leading the way in QB Will Warren and RB Vonn Williams.

All signs point toward 2A being the most competitive and hotly contested class in Kentucky. No team in either half of the playoff bracket will have a cakewalk to Kroger Field. Every championship is earned, but the 2A title in 2017 will be more hard earned than any other.

Class 2A is the premier class in the Bluegrass. Of course, that's just one man's opinion. What's yours?

If these teams were stocks which one would you buy?

Probably CAL.

They've got arguably the best young coach in the state and a large talent pool to draw from. Plus, their middle school team won back to back KYMSFA in '14 & '15. They're probably just beginning to scratch the surface of how good they can be.

Probably CAL.

They've got arguably the best young coach in the state and a large talent pool to draw from. Plus, their middle school team won back to back KYMSFA in '14 & '15. They're probably just beginning to scratch the surface of how good they can be.

I actually meant this year. Long term CAL ain't bad.

Mayfield played CAL down to the wire in Middle school one of those years.

As far as this year, I'll have a better idea on Mayfield's stock Friday night.

I actually meant this year. Long term CAL ain't bad.

Mayfield played CAL down to the wire in Middle school one of those years.

As far as this year, I'll have a better idea on Mayfield's stock Friday night.

Give me Danville this year. If they can just get steady play from the QB position, they could look like a vintage Ads team with all that speed. They don't need Zach Thornton to be Zack Dampier in order to win it all, in my opinion.

Most likely, they,ll move to 2a in the next alignment.. it's possible, Pikeville could move up and Caldwell Co could move down also.. If those 3 things happen, 2a really will be loaded, even more so than they are now.. it also looks like NCC could move down to 1a..

I still think 6A is the premier class. 2A would be next. Honestly KY needs to have 4 classes IMO.

6A is Trinity's world, the rest are just living in it. For that reason, I can't put it at the top.

Kentucky definitely needs fewer classes. 4 was fine, certainly no more than 5. Imagine how much more competitive most of the classes would be if they just subtracted one class.

6A is Trinity's world, the rest are just living in it. For that reason, I can't put it at the top.

Kentucky definitely needs fewer classes. 4 was fine, certainly no more than 5. Imagine how much more competitive most of the classes would be if they just subtracted one class.

You can't, but if you removed the power 3 (yes, I know Trinity is the main character), 6A would be well balanced.

2A seems to be the deepest... especially if the realignment occurs how MHSCardinal said.