Greatest NBA duos of All Time

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I immediately thought of Oscar Robertson and Lew Alcindor/Kareem Jabbar. I watched them play for Milwaukee. I expected them to be ranked higher. The reason for their low ranking included the fact that they had a third good player on the team, Bob Dandridge, and weren't strictly just a duo. However, that criteria wasn't applied consistently when you consider many other duos listed, esp. off of Celtic and Lakers teams. But, my reasons for ranking them higher would be heavily weighted by sentiment. Good list and fun to read through. It's hard to argue with their #1 pick, Jordan and Pippen.

I immediately thought of Oscar Robertson and Lew Alcindor/Kareem Jabbar. I watched them play for Milwaukee. I expected them to be ranked higher. The reason for their low ranking included the fact that they had a third good player on the team, Bob Dandridge, and weren't strictly just a duo. However, that criteria wasn't applied consistently when you consider many other duos listed, esp. off of Celtic and Lakers teams. But, my reasons for ranking them higher would be heavily weighted by sentiment. Good list and fun to read through. It's hard to argue with their #1 pick, Jordan and Pippen.

I think the main reason was because the Big O was on the downward slide of his career. Of course just about every player would love to have played so well on his/her regular career. :lol2:

Did Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain ever play together? If so, they might have been past their prime but they still would have been a good duo.

From 1968 to 1974 I believe. They appeared in the NBA Finals in '69 (lost in 7), '70 (lost in 7), '72 (Won it in 5), '73 (Lost in 5).

Both were on the downward flight but still adding something to the mix.

Kobe/Shaq>Magic/Kareem

I can see that. Maybe.

In the early 80's, Kareem was still averaging in the mid 20's in points and 8 to 10 boards a game. Magic was averaging 18-20 and 8-9 boards and 8-9 assists per game.

Kobe was averaging mid 20's and 5 boards during their Shaq run. Shaq was averaging about 28 points and 12 board per game in their run.

I can see that. Maybe.

In the early 80's, Kareem was still averaging in the mid 20's in points and 8 to 10 boards a game. Magic was averaging 18-20 and 8-9 boards and 8-9 assists per game.

Kobe was averaging mid 20's and 5 boards during their Shaq run. Shaq was averaging about 28 points and 12 board per game in their run.

Kobe and Shaq won 3 in a row. Magic and Kareem didn't. Magic choked in the Finals multiple times and his teams were annually better than anything Kobe and Shaq ever played with.

Kobe and Shaq went 16-1 in the playoffs once. Magic and Kareem never did that.

Kobe and Shaq won 3 in a row. Magic and Kareem didn't. Magic choked in the Finals multiple times and his teams were annually better than anything Kobe and Shaq ever played with.

Kobe and Shaq went 16-1 in the playoffs once. Magic and Kareem never did that.

Can't really argue that.

So do you think the Kobe-Shaq team played a squad equal to the 1983 Philadelphia 76'ers? (Remember that Magic didn't choke in that one. They just got beat. Well and it didn't help that James Worthy was missing)

Were any of the Kobe-Shaq opponents as good as the Celtics in '84?

Of course Kobe and Shaq lost to the powerful Detroit Pistons in the Finals. Hamilton and Rasheed and Ben were Hall of Famers. :lol2: Or does that choke not count? :popcorn:

Was being swept in 1999 part of the equation as well vs the Spurs?

Magic's First 8 seasons with Kareem went like this:

1st Beat 76'ers for Title

2nd Lost in First Round

3rd Beat 76'ers for Title

4th Lost in Finals to 76'ers

5th Lost in Finals to Celtics

6th Beat Celtics for Title

7th Lost in Conference Semi-Finals

8th Beat Celtics for Title

Kobe's First eight seasons with Shaq went like this:

1st Lost in Semi-Finals

2nd Lost in Conference Finals

3rd Lost in Semi-Finals

4th Beat Pacers for the Title

5th Beat the 76'ers for the Title

6th Beat the Nets for the Title

7th Lost in the Semi-Finals

8th Lost in the Finals to Pistons

Pretty even. Kobe won three in a row, I get that. Look at their Finals opponents and let's talk about that.

Magic won 4 in the same amount of time and failed to make the Finals only twice.