So I was having a conversation with one of my co-workers today about who the Greatest Baseball Player of All Time was. I threw out some names, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Derek Jeter, Mickey Mantel, George Brett, Barry Bonds and he mentioned Bo Jackson.

It got me to thinking, who is really the greatest baseball player of all time?

Hank Aaron

Willie Mays

Babe Ruth

Mickey Mantel

Bo Jackson

Barry Bonds

A-Rod

George Brett

Jose Canseco

Who do you think the GOAT is?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it has been and will always be Willie Mays. The guy could absolutely do it all. Epitome of the 5-tool player.

Best all around talent for sure. Not sure if that makes him the GOAT...But he is definitely in the discussion.

Out of all the professional sports, I think baseball is the one where this question can be the most hotly contested. There are probably a good 15-20 guys that a legit case can be made for.

Off the top of my head and I'm probably forgetting quite a few...

Bonds

Griffey Jr.

Mantle

Williams

Mays

Henderson

Cobb

Wagner

Ruth

Aaron

Top 4 for WAR

Ruth

Mays

Cobb

Aaron

I think it is a very short list for actual consideration for GOAT, those four are at the top of that list.

Cy Young also as the only player in history with a higher career WAR than Ruth at the end of his career.

Top 4 for WAR

Ruth

Mays

Cobb

Aaron

I think it is a very short list for actual consideration for GOAT, those four are at the top of that list.

Cy Young also as the only player in history with a higher career WAR than Ruth at the end of his career.

Where did you get your #s from?

The top 4 I'm seeing are Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, and Barry Bonds.

Where did you get your #s from?

The top 4 I'm seeing are Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, and Barry Bonds.

First 4 were for HoF hitters only (forgot about Bonds not being HoF) then looked at pitchers and saw Cy Young was higher than Ruth.

Top four HoFers in War

Cy Young 170.50

Babe Ruth 163.10

Willie Mays 156.30

Walter Johnson 153.21

Bonds 162.40

Barry Bonds

Now you've done it. Great player but no way he should be discussed. We really have no clue how good he was. It is a true shame. (Cue UKMF)

If we include Bonds in this discussion, please give Lance Armstrong all of his trophies back and hand those Olympic medals back to all of those athletes, including the East German women.

Now you've done it. Great player but no way he should be discussed. We really have no clue how good he was. It is a true shame. (Cue UKMF)

If we include Bonds in this discussion, please give Lance Armstrong all of his trophies back and hand those Olympic medals back to all of those athletes, including the East German women.

I'm all for giving Lance Armstrong his trophies. I know how great Bonds was because I watched his entire career.