Japan kills 333 whales in annual Antarctic hunt

jericho

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm naive but why would anyone these days want to kill whales??? Aren't there alternative resources? It''s not like we need more lamp oil.

I found this quote...

Japanese Culture and Pride

This history is an important part of why the Japanese continue to hunt whales. Attempts to stop the nation's whaling are perceived by many as a threat to Japanese culture. According to its defenders, eating whale meat is an old and impenetrable Japanese tradition. "No one has the right to criticize the food culture of another people," said Matayuki Komatsu of Japan's Fisheries Agency.

I found this quote...

Japanese Culture and Pride

This history is an important part of why the Japanese continue to hunt whales. Attempts to stop the nation's whaling are perceived by many as a threat to Japanese culture. According to its defenders, eating whale meat is an old and impenetrable Japanese tradition. "No one has the right to criticize the food culture of another people," said Matayuki Komatsu of Japan's Fisheries Agency.

Taking the other side of this, I assume most of us eat animals too so how are the Japanese any different than any of us that eat animals?

Taking the other side of this, I assume most of us eat animals too so how are the Japanese any different than any of us that eat animals?

One answer could be that whale numbers are much less than cattle or rabbits. I would think some species of whales are on the endangered list.

One answer could be that whale numbers are much less than cattle or rabbits. I would think some species of whales are on the endangered list.

They only are hunting minke whales...a smaller species of whale. Minkes numbers are healthy and the species is not on any kind of conservation watchlist.

My understanding is that Iceland permits commercial whaling of Minke whales, an I believe one of the other Scandanavian countries (Finland/Norway/Sweden) allows it as well.

One of their boats that was intended as a "tactical vessel" to be used to obstruct the operations of Japanese whaling ships was struck by a whaler and later sunk. It wasn't one of their long-distance ships though. The Sea Shepherds have a fleet of 6 or 7 ships.

Not the little fiberglass boats, one of their bigger ones. Was sunk with a torpedo by a military ship for being in an unauthorized area.

They only are hunting minke whales...a smaller species of whale. Minkes numbers are healthy and the species is not on any kind of conservation watchlist.

My understanding is that Iceland permits commercial whaling of Minke whales, an I believe one of the other Scandanavian countries (Finland/Norway/Sweden) allows it as well.

So basically the title is click bait.

So basically the title is click bait.
Looks like it. According to Wiki the Antarctic Minke Whale population is around 515,000. Not sure how hunting 330 a year is going to make any dent in that number. It's funny that mntref says in his OP he is fine with them killing all the dogs and cats they want but not whales. Why?