March 31, 20179 yr Did Japan Just Win the Whale Wars? | TakePart The whale wars are over. Or are they? Each year, the international Sea Shepherd movement dispatches vessels to harass Japanese ships hunting whales in the Southern Ocean. Using acid-filled bottles, smoke bombs, lasers, and metal-reinforced rope to damage propellers and rudders, Sea Shepherd activists aim to stop the slaughter conducted by Japan’s Institute of Cetacean Research in violation of international whaling regulations. But last week, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, the international coalition’s U.S. branch, and its founder, Paul Watson, settled a five-year legal battle in federal court with the ICR and Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha, the company that furnishes whaling vessels and crews. Sea Shepherd USA agreed to a permanent injunction that bars the group from attacking or endangering whaling vessels or approaching any whalers closer than 1,500 feet.
March 31, 20179 yr Author Looks like it. According to Wiki the Antarctic Minke Whale population is around 515,000. Not sure how hunting 330 a year is going to make any dent in that number. It's funny that mntref says in his OP he is fine with them killing all the dogs and cats they want but not whales. Why? Plenty more dogs, cats, rats than Minke Whales. More cows too. I have a soft side for the Whales.
March 31, 20179 yr From that article: Japan agreed to conduct only nonlethal research in the 2014–15 season. But this season, the fleet returned to port with 333 minke whales, and it plans to take the same number annually for the next 11 years.
March 31, 20179 yr I've actually spent a little time thinking about this in the past...and I guess this is my take: These whales that are being hunted are being hunted from a species that is in no danger of extinction. They have been hunted in what seems to be responsible numbers for the last decade or so - I would assume that is largely due to the fact that there isn't that much demand for the meat, which can contain excessively high levels of mercury. I don't know whether the concern with the hunting of these whales is due to the misconception that they are an endangered species, or if people think they are being over-hunted, or if there's just a general taboo due to cultural differences (similar to the fact that most people from western cultures abhorring Asian cultures eating dogs). I would guess a lot of the main reason is the taboo aspect...and I would assume a lot of the taboo stems from the fact that whales are a relatively intelligent animal species. Still, people hunt all kinds of animals that are relatively intelligent. Turkeys are some of the more intelligent animals I've ever come across, and those are hunted widely in our own culture. There are different types of monkeys that are hunted as a food source throughout the Amazon and parts of Asia. There are still legal elephant and hippopotamus hunts in Africa. Hell, pigs are even pretty smart animals when you get down to it. I'm not saying that I'm particularly in favor of hunting the whales - especially because the meat is so unhealthy for you due to the mercury - but so long as they're not doing any ecological damage, I really don't see the issue. For what it's worth, the United States, Canada, and Russia all openly allow native peoples to hunt Bowhead whales due to cultural tradition. As far as I know, Japan is the native culture to their country. I don't see why the same consideration isn't given to them.
March 31, 20179 yr I've actually spent a little time thinking about this in the past...and I guess this is my take: These whales that are being hunted are being hunted from a species that is in no danger of extinction. They have been hunted in what seems to be responsible numbers for the last decade or so - I would assume that is largely due to the fact that there isn't that much demand for the meat, which can contain excessively high levels of mercury. I don't know whether the concern with the hunting of these whales is due to the misconception that they are an endangered species, or if people think they are being over-hunted, or if there's just a general taboo due to cultural differences (similar to the fact that most people from western cultures abhorring Asian cultures eating dogs). I would guess a lot of the main reason is the taboo aspect...and I would assume a lot of the taboo stems from the fact that whales are a relatively intelligent animal species. Still, people hunt all kinds of animals that are relatively intelligent. Turkeys are some of the more intelligent animals I've ever come across, and those are hunted widely in our own culture. There are different types of monkeys that are hunted as a food source throughout the Amazon and parts of Asia. There are still legal elephant and hippopotamus hunts in Africa. Hell, pigs are even pretty smart animals when you get down to it. I'm not saying that I'm particularly in favor of hunting the whales - especially because the meat is so unhealthy for you due to the mercury - but so long as they're not doing any ecological damage, I really don't see the issue. For what it's worth, the United States, Canada, and Russia all openly allow native peoples to hunt Bowhead whales due to cultural tradition. As far as I know, Japan is the native culture to their country. I don't see why the same consideration isn't given to them. Good post and agree with almost all. I'll disagree on Turkey's being smart. They have great eye sight but other than that IMO they are generally pretty stupid.
March 31, 20179 yr It's hard for me to hammer the Japanese when I drive South every year and eat darn near everything I catch. But, for some reason, whales just feel different. It's kind of like how I would feel about killing a dolphin. But I guess that's their culture.
March 31, 20179 yr Plenty more dogs, cats, rats than Minke Whales. More cows too. I have a soft side for the Whales. So it's just a numbers game? Like I said the Minke whale population is no where near in trouble. I love animals in general and I don't pick and choose which ones I'm going to get bent out of shape about someone hunting as long as they do it humanly and legally. It's just comes off as extremely hypocritical to think it's ok to hunt/kill one animal but not another.
March 31, 20179 yr Good post and agree with almost all. I'll disagree on Turkey's being smart. They have great eye sight but other than that IMO they are generally pretty stupid. Well, maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better by saying turkeys are intelligent...because I can't hunt them worth a damn :lol2:
March 31, 20179 yr Well, maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better by saying turkeys are intelligent...because I can't hunt them worth a damn :lol2:You know, I've never had much luck when trying to hunt them but then I watch some hunting show and a guy sneaks up on one by hiding behind his decoy. I'm like what the hell....
March 31, 20179 yr Author So it's just a numbers game? Like I said the Minke whale population is no where near in trouble. I love animals in general and I don't pick and choose which ones I'm going to get bent out of shape about someone hunting as long as they do it humanly and legally. It's just comes off as extremely hypocritical to think it's ok to hunt/kill one animal but not another. Its a whale thing for me.
April 1, 20179 yr When it comes to hunting animals for food and clothing, my thing is just make the kill as quick and painless as possible which is why is angers me when some fur companies in South East Asia have been found often they may not fully kill the animal before skinning it, so you have a beaten up crippled animal lying on the ground skinned alive. The same when you hear of deer hobbling around in the woods with the head of an arrow in its butt. Would like to shove the arrow up the wanna be hunters butt. With these Minke Whales, it sounds like it varies how ethical the kill is. Sometimes quick with mercy kill coming rapidly, other times the mammal suffers abhorrently for numerous minutes. There is where I have trouble with the hunt.
April 3, 20179 yr When it comes to hunting animals for food and clothing, my thing is just make the kill as quick and painless as possible which is why is angers me when some fur companies in South East Asia have been found often they may not fully kill the animal before skinning it, so you have a beaten up crippled animal lying on the ground skinned alive. The same when you hear of deer hobbling around in the woods with the head of an arrow in its butt. Would like to shove the arrow up the wanna be hunters butt. With these Minke Whales, it sounds like it varies how ethical the kill is. Sometimes quick with mercy kill coming rapidly, other times the mammal suffers abhorrently for numerous minutes. There is where I have trouble with the hunt. Thanks for that!
April 3, 20179 yr When it comes to hunting animals for food and clothing, my thing is just make the kill as quick and painless as possible which is why is angers me when some fur companies in South East Asia have been found often they may not fully kill the animal before skinning it, so you have a beaten up crippled animal lying on the ground skinned alive. The same when you hear of deer hobbling around in the woods with the head of an arrow in its butt. Would like to shove the arrow up the wanna be hunters butt. With these Minke Whales, it sounds like it varies how ethical the kill is. Sometimes quick with mercy kill coming rapidly, other times the mammal suffers abhorrently for numerous minutes. There is where I have trouble with the hunt. I absolutely agree on this one, Bert. I don't think any living thing - be it a fly, a rat, a deer, a cow, or someone's grandmother - deserves to suffer at its death.
April 4, 20179 yr There are a lot of things that were "culturally" acceptable at one point in man's history which were abolished as we became more civilized.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.