Trump 2017 State of the Union Address

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it officially a State of the Union address? I keep hearing it referenced as a "joint address to Congress." I assume it is basically the same thing, but I honestly did not know he was addressing congress until someone posted here last week than the former KY Governor was giving the response.

Since the President is required to give information on the State of The Union yearly, tonight's speech would be fulfilling a constitutional duty of the office.

Tradition alone makes the speech an annual one and tradition states that it's a state of the union only after the first full year, as a new president is considered unable to adequately describe the complete state of the union after only a short time in office.

I believe the most prickly issue for Trump tonight is going to be the immigration / national protectionism issue. We have what basically amounts to American terrorism against foreigners taking place. We have Jews being targeted. Get out of "my country " is becoming an accepted battle cry against immigrants. And with all of this background Trump apparently is going to feature tonight three Americans who have been attacked in some way by illegal immigrants. This issue is going to be talked about after the speech tonight.

I am interested in how the audience reacts to things. A cool tradition of the address are the standing ovations or declining to clap at matters as a sign of disagreement. I can see a lot of eyes looking each which way to see if this congressional leader is going to sit or stand before following suit.

Good point Bugatti. With the militancy we are seeing on the Democratic side of things that will be interesting.

I think it will be equally as interesting to see what the Republican Congressmen publicly applaud. It seems most have tolerated President Trump rather than embracing him so far, mainly through silence. I'm curious where they appease him with cheers and if he has any areas with lukewarm response.

I think it will be equally as interesting to see what the Republican Congressmen publicly applaud. It seems most have tolerated President Trump rather than embracing him so far, mainly through silence. I'm curious where they appease him with cheers and if he has any areas with lukewarm response.

Free trade, Obamacare reform and the budget/deficit are three topics where there seems to be a split within Republicans

I can't watch because it's past my bedtime. But after hearing our speaker today ar lunch, it seems that Congress is most looking for direction from President Trump with regard to repeal/replace AHCA and hints of his intentions regrading tax reform.

Surprisingly, in my opinion, immigration seemed to be way down the list.