Gatlinburg Teen Arsonists Possible Charges / Sentences

Watusi

The two teens in TN who started the fire that eventually spread into 14 different fires could face life in prison, or lesser sentences depending on the charges. The aggrivated arson charge could mean 60 years, first degree murder could mean life in prison.

The possibilities are complicated and the prosecutor says "Everything is on the table". All of the above is dependent upon the boys being tried as adults.

14 people died, 2,400 buildings destroyed, 175 injured, 20,000 acres burned.

Teens could face 6

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never see the light of day again IMO.
I feel like that will happen too, but you never know with a jury.

If they try them as adults, it sounds like according to TN law, the prosecutor will be able to go for 1st degree murder. Hard for a jury to send teenagers to prison for life.

Did they deliberately set the fire or was this a campfire/bonfire type that got out of control?
They won't release much info because it is a juvenile case. Intent will be the crux of the case.

I'd bet my house that the only reason they were found out was because they talked. Whether it was from guilt or bragging, I have no idea.

I don't see how they'd get charged with first degree murder, but everything less than that is a real possibility.

I also don't believe they'll get life in prison as 2C just alluded to.

The article details that TN has a law that if someone dies because of the result of your crime (for certain crimes, and arson is one of them), whether you intended to harm anyone or not, then you can be charged with 1st Degree Murder. A nuance of the law in that state I gather.

The article details that TN has a law that if someone dies because of the result of your crime (for certain crimes, and arson is one of them), whether you intended to harm anyone or not, then you can be charged with 1st Degree Murder. A nuance of the law in that state I gather.

Gotcha. I'd still be surprised if they were convicted of that.

Gotcha. I'd still be surprised if they were convicted of that.
It would be a tough sell to a jury, but this is a big case.

If they intentionally set the fire, it would make a big difference. Since it is being called arson, I assume they intentionally set the fire. The defense will try and argue otherwise no doubt.

It would be a tough sell to a jury, but this is a big case.

If they intentionally set the fire, it would make a big difference. Since it is being called arson, I assume they intentionally set the fire. The defense will try and argue otherwise no doubt.

If they intentionally set A fire and it got out of control, that's one thing. Be hard to convict them of murder for that.

If they intentionally set the fire in a way that isn't consistent with a "normal" camp fire, they're in huge trouble.

I think first degree murder would only be if they said "hey let's set this fire and kill people."

I doubt they intended to kill people.

TN law is that they intended to set the fire. That intent is then transferred to the deaths.

Not saying I agree, just that is what it is. If they try them as adults they can go for 14 counts of murder.

I doubt you could get a jury to convict of murder, but 14 counts of manslaughter would put them away forever if the judge sentences to serve consecutively.

If they intentionally set A fire and it got out of control, that's one thing. Be hard to convict them of murder for that.

If they intentionally set the fire in a way that isn't consistent with a "normal" camp fire, they're in huge trouble.

One story I read said they were seen walking around throwing down matches, if that's true it is hard to defend them.