Manual 97 Portland Christian 7

I mean at some point someone has to raise their hand and ask if this one is necessary. I'm sure Manual wasn't running the score up on these guys and still beat them by 90. Then they'll most likely have to go through it again in the district tournament. No one is learning anything from this game. It's not fun for players or fans. I get it has to be played and there are several of these types of games across the state in district play, but maybe there could be an "opt out" option year to year when a really small, typically non-competitive team just can't come close to competing and shouldn't have to get their brains beat in. The program knows when their small school is able to compete and not compete. Just let them "opt out" before the season of championship play and just play a schedule on their level.

I mean at some point someone has to raise their hand and ask if this one is necessary. I'm sure Manual wasn't running the score up on these guys and still beat them by 90. Then they'll most likely have to go through it again in the district tournament. No one is learning anything from this game. It's not fun for players or fans. I get it has to be played and there are several of these types of games across the state in district play, but maybe there could be an "opt out" option year to year when a really small, typically non-competitive team just can't come close to competing and shouldn't have to get their brains beat in. The program knows when their small school is able to compete and not compete. Just let them "opt out" before the season of championship play and just play a schedule on their level.

Isn't this what they do in soccer. In CCH's district they don't play all the teams because of the blowout situation but get the number one seed. I just checked their schedule no one from the 35th District until post season. It seems like it would make sense.

Portland is a district game. Some folks want to play those regardless of score.

I get that, but I would think they would be able to back out of it if they really wanted to. I assume since they played the game, they didn't want to back out.