GOREDDEVILS

Who wins?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of history between these two programs, and you never know what will happen when they face off. They were district foes for so many years, back in the day where only one team from each district made the playoffs. I remember some of those wars. After they each moved to different districts, there have been some epic playoff games. Most recently...

In 2004, in the final game in Vipperman Stadium, Belfry faced Russell in the semifinals that will forever go down in Pirate folklore. It was the biggest crowd I have ever seen at Vipperman. There were fans on the hillside, surrounding the field, packed into the stands, everywhere. That was a crazy atmosphere. The game featured 4 of the best running backs in EKY history. Josh Gross and Kasey Clark for Russell and David Jones and Doug Howard for Belfry. It was a heavyweight fight and Belfry pulled away late to win 39-17 and move on to the Championship. After that win against Russell, hundreds of Belfry fans, former players, coaches and cheerleaders gathered just outside the Belfry locker room, underneath the scoreboard, and had the final countdown. When the count reached 0 the switch was flipped and the lights were shut off on Vipperman stadium for the final time as Belfry High School ended an era. It was emotional.

The 2005 Russell edition stopped a 2 time State Champion Belfry squad from a 3-peat. That was one fantastic game played at Russell. Belfry scored the go-ahead touchdown only to have it called back for a procedure penalty. It was a legit call, but Belfry fans really thought they let one get away from them that night. Russell went on to win the State Championship the following week.

In 2006 the Red Devils came to CAM and Belfry had revenge on their minds. Russell shut them down completely and won 19-0 in one of the best defensive performances against the Pirates I have seen in a long time. That was a crushing loss.

It has been all Belfry in the series since then, but the Russell game always stirs up something in the Pirate program.

I think this may be the most under-appreciated Russell team I can remember, and they are definitely among the most under appreciated teams in the State this season.

Russell is 10-1 and are a 2-point conversion away from 11-0. With the exception of the Raceland game the Devils have allowed 1 TD or fewer to every team they have played in Varsity action.

Since their 1 point loss to Ashland the Devils have outscored their foes 351-86 over their 8 game winning streak.

Russell was the victim of a schedule that didn't pan out as they anticipated. Ironton is no longer the Ironton of old..Ashland was being a bit unfairly judged based on their losses to Johnson Central and Raceland... and Raceland was the victim of back to back close losses, a play here or there and the Rams may have been #1 in 1A.

Russell has a ton of pride and I think they will block the recent scores and focus on the present and their D should give Belfry some issues. Conley is a great back, but I am not sure Russell has the explosive play ability to hurt Belfry.

I anticipate a game closer than what many think. That clock will be moving fast and Russell should be able to grind some First Downs behind Conley's running.

I do not think we see a running clock at all.. in fact I am going 31-7 Belfry with the game very much unsettled when the 4th Quarter begins.

Conley is a great back and he is playing in what seems like his 8th or 9th season at Russell. Just kidding of course but it seems like he has been there forever. He is also a really good defensive player.

I wonder where he is on Russell's all-time rushing/scoring lists.

Conley is a great back and he is playing in what seems like his 8th or 9th season at Russell. Just kidding of course but it seems like he has been there forever. He is also a really good defensive player.

I wonder where he is on Russell's all-time rushing/scoring lists.

I don't know the exact numbers, but he's in the neighborhood of 4500 yards and 70 TDs for his career. A few weeks ago, he passed Kasey Clark for 2nd place on the career rushing list. I think he stands at 3rd all time in TDs.

Nick's been a model of consistency. He's brought the same level of energy and competitiveness to every game he's played in his four years as a starter. He's a tremendous all around player. The stats don't really do him justice.

There was a time, not that long ago, when Russell and Belfry stood eye level with one another, duking it out for 2A supremecy. Then the Pirates kicked it into another gear while Russell simultaneously went in the opposite direction. The cavern that has existed between the two programs ever since, makes those mid 2000's battles seem like an eternity ago.

I want to believe that Russell has it in them to put on a performance that will wake up the echoes of Devils past. This year's team needs look no further than its own coaching staff for the necessary guidance. Coaches Gary Morris and Tracy Edwards were on Coach McGlone's staff 10-12 years ago. They know what it takes to win at the highest levels. Coach Josh Wills was a standout LBer in '05 & '06. He spearheaded defensive efforts that stymied the Pirates.

Ultimately, all they can do is dispense their wisdom. The players have to go out and play... play with fire... play with intensity... play with a purpose... play with pride... play for the name across the front of your jersey... play for your brothers standing on either side of you.

On Friday night, there will be a nervous energy knocking at your door. Don't be afraid of it. Let it in and embrace it. Channel it into something positive and then let it out.

Win or lose, when you walk off that field, make sure that when someone asks you, "Did you leave it all on the field tonight?", you can answer, without hesitation, "Yes, I had nothing left to give."

That is all that anyone can ask.

Go Russell!

Coach Josh Wills was a standout LBer in '05 & '06. He spearheaded defensive efforts that stymied the Pirates.

I didn't know Wills was on the staff, that's great. Spearheaded is an understatement. That kid was a one man wrecking crew in 06 and I saw #56 in my nightmares for quite a while.

I didn't know Wills was on the staff, that's great. Spearheaded is an understatement. That kid was a one man wrecking crew in 06 and I saw #56 in my nightmares for quite a while.

He was a good one. A classic McGlone era gaurd/linebacker combo. You see less and less of those nowadays.

I could be wrong, but I think Josh might be the defensive coordinator now. Coach Morris, who held that position for about 15 years or so, is still on the staff, though.