Russell @ Belfry (3A Region 3 finals) 11/18

GOREDDEVILS

Who wins?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

It still bothers me that Mercer County won that State Championship in 2006

Russell was far and away the best 2A Team in Kentucky that year... Mercer County, despite what the KHSAA decided (For crying out loud they were operating out of 2 schools!) was not a 2A team. They were firmly a 3A team playing in 2A thanks to a loophole that they FULLY took to their advantage even when they weren't even quite ready to be consolidated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It still bothers me that Mercer County won that State Championship in 2006

Russell was far and away the best 2A Team in Kentucky that year... Mercer County, despite what the KHSAA decided (For crying out loud they were operating out of 2 schools!) was not a 2A team. They were firmly a 3A team playing in 2A thanks to a loophole that they FULLY took to their advantage even when they weren't even quite ready to be consolidated.

That was a jagged pill to swallow, for sure. But, even in defeat, I couldn't have been any prouder of that Russell team. Not many outside of Flatwoods gave them a shot. Their performance in the championship game is one of Russell's all time defensive gems.

I think this year's defense is the best Russell's had since that '06 bunch. Best overall team we've had, too.

Will it be enough to make things interesting, though? Friday needs to hurry up and get here. I'm starting to get a little anxious.

I would be shocked if this one is not a running clock.

Russell has had a great season and aside from the Ashland game done everything right, but they are not at the same level as Belfry. If this game is closing is due to Belfry having turnover problems and/or penalty problems (Belfry has been known to do both at times so it is not impossible)

Good luck to both

These two teams are quite familiar with one another at this point. Belfry has numerous three and four year starters that have been there, done that vs Russell. The Red Devils have a handful of guys that have seen more of Belfry the past two seasons than they'd probably like.

On Russell's side, guys like Nick Conley, Landon Brewer, Maxx Blackburn, Evan Ison, Drey Boehm, and Jacob Pierce need to show up ready to play the game of their lives. Those are the senior leaders on this team who have looked this Belfry monster in eye before. They know what awaits them on Pond Creek Friday night.

Conley needs 20-25 touches in this game, IMO. Last year, he had just 13. I think Nick gets stronger as the game goes on. He needs to work up a good lather.

Considering Belfry's excellent team speed on defense, I think Russell needs to leave the jet sweeps out of the game plan. Nick's had a lot of success with those over the last two years, but Belfry's lateral quickness will probably negate those sweeps. He seems to like running out of the pistol. It allows him to gain some forward momentum and attack the line of scrimmage. At 210-215 lbs, he's most effective when he gets north/south right away.

Russell's adopted some double TE sets this year, for the first time under Maynard. Brewer(6'2", 210) and Ryan Stump(6'3", 220) have some size on'em, and both are good blockers in the running game.

Normally, lining up and trying to match muscle with Belfry isn't a good idea. But I think Russell needs to run right at them and set a physical tone early. Let'em know you're tired of being the nail to Belfry's hammer. Establishing an effective running game early might open up the passing game a bit.

Russell hopes to rekindle magic

Rocky Stanley | The Daily Independent

Third-year Russell football assistant coach Josh Wills vividly recalls the last time the Red Devils took down Belfry.

Ten years ago, the standout linebacker and offensive lineman helped lead a buzzsaw defensive effort in Russell’s 19-0 state semifinal road victory — one of only four times the Pirates have been blanked since 1998.

“What I remember most is how focused we were as a team,” Wills said. “Usually in a big game, you just want to come out with a win. Everybody wanted to go up there and send a message going in to play Mercer County.”

The Red Devils, seeking back-to-back Class 2A championships, were on a mission to beat Belfry for the second consecutive year and get a matchup with top-ranked Mercer County, a new consolidation that many people thought belonged in Class 3A. Russell dropped a 15-12 heartbreaker in the final despite another outstanding performance on defense.

Continued in the link below...

Russell hopes to rekindle magic | Sports | dailyindependent.com

I'm going to take a timeout from this thread to do a little bragging...

Congratulations to Nick Conley, Austin Smith, Austin Braden, Drey Boehm, Landon Brewer, Jacob Pierce, Maxx Blackburn, and Ryan Stump for being named to the All EKC team.

Congrats also to TJ Maynard for being named Coach of the Year. Additionally, Conley was named EKC Offensive POY.

This is a nice Belfry hype video and a really unique look at CAM Stadium.

I really enjoyed watching the the Belfry video. As you know I have been around awhile and watched all of these games that have been talked about in this thread so I will try not to repeat what has already been said. These two teams have a lot of respect for each other. This is one of those games that Russell must be perfect and Belfry will have to make a lot of mistakes for it to be an upset.

Belfry will be keying on Conley and I expect that will slow him dow. IMO Smith QB will have to throw the ball alot and with accuracy. Russell has some very good recievers who can make big plays. I feel that is the key for Russell to have any chance.

Ray Horton has feasted on the Devils the past two years

Any success Russell hopes to have on Offense directly starts with whether they can block him and keep him out of the backfield.

Frankly, Russell doesn't have anyone capable of handling Horton 1 on 1(who does, really?). I think that's where the double TE formations will come in handy.

I think it would benefit Russell to roll Smith out a lot and give him plenty of run/pass options. He throws well on the run. He's also an excellent runner and his legs could play a huge role in this game. Chances are, they'll have to.