KHSAA Board of Control approves Football Playoff Structure in 5A, 6A & RFP Ball

theguru

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 24, 2016

The Board of Control conducted its fifth regularly scheduled meeting of the school year at the Lexington Center on March 18th, during which time it finalized the playoff format for 5A and 6A, approved the issuance of an RFP to designate a new official ball, and elected its President-elect for 2016-17.

After an extensive review of potential playoff formats over several meetings that was finalized in January, the Board reviewed the proposed cross-bracketing table for Class 5A and 6A for 2016 through 2018. Following the review, the Board approved the cross-bracket table for 5A and 6A, and will continue review of playoff pairing discussions in 2A, 3A and 4A for 2017 and 2018 during its May meeting, following receipt of survey results. The adopted table of cross-bracket pairings is available at http://www.khsaa.org/football/playoffpairings.pdf.

With the Association’s current ball contract with Rawlings set to expire at the end of the school year, the Board approved the issuance of an RFP for designation as the official ball in Basketball and Football, and if deemed necessary, Baseball and Softball. The Board will also consider extensions and alternate proposals for the designated balls in Soccer (Select) and Volleyball (Baden) at its May meeting.

In other action Friday, the Board elected Jefferson County Public Schools Athletics/Activities/Academic Competitions Department, Jerry Wyman, as the President-elect of the Board of Control for 2016-17, serving under President Scott Hawkins.

The final regularly scheduled Board of Control meeting of the 2015-16 academic year is set for May 10-11 at the KHSAA Offices.

3/24/16 – Board of Control Approves Football Playoff Structure in 5A, 6A; Issuance of RFP for Official Ball | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So both teams that make semi finals will make their way to a nutural city (twice or more the distance for 16 and 17 year old kids to drive, not only to the game but FROM the game) where only 5% of the crowd will be from the host town.

Scenerio: BG plays Red Devils at Highlands. Both sets of fans (many teens) gets home between 1 and 2am.

Am I missing something? Makes no sense to me. I live in Bowling Green. Do I really want to go to my high school stadium to watch a game vs another team other than my team? I think they just cut their attendance in half.

Is a parent going to let their kid go to a game, letting them drive 3 or 4 hours on Highway to get home in middle of night?

Crazy

So both teams that make semi finals will make their way to a nutural city (twice or more the distance for 16 and 17 year old kids to drive, not only to the game but FROM the game) where only 5% of the crowd will be from the host town.

Scenerio: BG plays Red Devils at Highlands. Both sets of fans (many teens) gets home between 1 and 2am.

Am I missing something? Makes no sense to me. I live in Bowling Green. Do I really want to go to my high school stadium to watch a game vs another team other than my team? I think they just cut their attendance in half.

Is a parent going to let their kid go to a game, letting them drive 3 or 4 hours on Highway to get home in middle of night?

Crazy

If you were reading what I posted, perhaps you misinterpreted. What I meant was that the winner of Bowling Green and Owensboro (Bowling Green/Owensboro) at Highlands in 2016 semifinals, basically what I consider the most likely scenario. NOT that Bowling Green and Owensboro would play against each other at Highlands.

Observations on 6A (assuming I'm reading this correctly):

A chance for an all Louisville final in 2017. I can already hear the whining.

Dodge 'em must not have lobbied hard enough. The SK district is paired against the Trinity district in 2017.

Man, it would be awesome if there was some way to seed the playoffs. Rank the teams 1-32.

Can you imagine how some coaches would pad their non-district schedules if this ever happened. Could SK play a varsity schedule against freshman teams?

In 6A, there will not be an all-Jefferson County final over the next three years.

2016: D2 will play at D4 if they are equal seeds in the regional final.Then the McCracken/Male/StX winner would play at D4 in semis.

District 4 will host District 6 in 2017 if the final two are the same seed in regional. The winner would travel to McCracken/Male/St X survivor (D1/D3) for the semis.

2018: D1 will play D4 and if both are same seed in regional final D4 will host. Then that winner plays at D2/D3 survivor in semis.

Make your travel plans early :thumb: