Most Talented Singer That Does Nothing For You

Clyde

Thought of this while watching Adele sing on the Grammys.

Incredibly talented singer yet does ZERO for me from a enjoyment factor.

Yours?

Again, this is someone/group you recognize has talent but you just don't get into them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to thread-jack but If I may, I'll use this as an opportunity to say that Kanye West's "performance" on SNL the other night was out of this world ridiculous. Paying it any attention at all enough to say how talentless it was almost feels like an insult to my intelligence.

Also, wasn't overwhelmed as it appears that many were about Kendrick Lamar on the Grammy's either.

Sure, he can remember a lot of words, and was intense in delivering them, but rattling off annoying rapid fire wordage that (OK I'm slow) I can't keep up with, and am not interested enough to keep up with after it starts getting on my nerves after about 5 seconds, is not to me a demonstration of talent. Everyone has their taste I suppose, and though I'm not big on Justin Bieber, at least he's singing a tune with a melody that isn't half bad.

Thought of this while watching Adele sing on the Grammys.

Incredibly talented singer yet does ZERO for me from a enjoyment factor.

Yours?

Again, this is someone/group you recognize has talent but you just don't get into them.

Though Adele's performance tonight on the Grammy's didn't much rock my world, I must admit that a few of her tunes here and there have really moved me.

Janis Joplin

I second Janis Joplin.

In my younger days I always knew that she was supposed to be cool and that I was supposed to dig her, but honestly she did nothing more for me than just get on my nerves.

She always seemed to get tossed into the dead rock star legends like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, and while I certainly dug them, her screeching screamin' was like nails down a chalk board to me.

Joni Mitchell is endearing somehow, and I have been moved at times by some footage of the earlier part of her career, and I understand her place in music history, but there's a certain signature vocal thing she does in her phrasing where in some jazzy sorta way she'll sustain, bend, and twist a note that annoys me to the point that I cringe every time I hear an example of it, and she seems to use this technique in almost all of her songs. Drives me nuts and tends to sour any appreciation that I have for her artistry.