Covington Catholic 63 Ryle 46

Ryle, from the moment after they lost in the 2002 Sweet 16 to right now:

177 -208, 6 winning seasons, 3 district championships, six total visits to the Regional Tournament (2 of those trips were with losing records), and one regional tournament game win (vs. CovCath in OT in 2011 in which has been far the best post 2002 season).

That district is brutal in terms of parity. 4 large schools. They have had 2 years where they had a winning record and didn't make it to the region. Also the creation and rise of Cooper does not help. The past 15 years has seen what I would say comparably is a pretty stable coaching situation, with Niemi then Mullins, now McFarland. Besides Bobby Stauffer, I can't say that they have had many players that really blow you away talent wise.

I think you could go over Cooper, Conner, and Boone the same way and you would see a lot of comparable numbers. Just a very equal district. But I know that doesn't excuse a lot of the non-district losses and some bad years (6-23, 10-18, 10-17) that have occurred.

Ryle, from the moment after they lost in the 2002 Sweet 16 to right now:

177 -208, 6 winning seasons, 3 district championships, six total visits to the Regional Tournament (2 of those trips were with losing records), and one regional tournament game win (vs. CovCath in OT in 2011 in which has been far the best post 2002 season).

That district is brutal in terms of parity. 4 large schools. They have had 2 years where they had a winning record and didn't make it to the region. Also the creation and rise of Cooper does not help. The past 15 years has seen what I would say comparably is a pretty stable coaching situation, with Niemi then Mullins, now McFarland. Besides Bobby Stauffer, I can't say that they have had many players that really blow you away talent wise.

I think you could go over Cooper, Conner, and Boone the same way and you would see a lot of comparable numbers. Just a very equal district. But I know that doesn't excuse a lot of the non-district losses and some bad years (6-23, 10-18, 10-17) that have occurred.

Can't disagree with anything you said. Best player from Ryle has to be Dollman 6' 10 back in 2003, solid career at X, pretty successful in Europe. Think he was league MVP a few years ago.

Can't disagree with anything you said. Best player from Ryle has to be Dollman 6' 10 back in 2003' date=' solid career at X, pretty successful in Europe. Think he was league MVP a few years ago.[/quote']

Solid career at X?

JD had a great career at X.

It has been many years since Ryle had a good team and with the size of that school I just don't get it.

I think the majority of the reason is Cooper. The athletic talent in the county is now being spread across 4 schools rather than 3 like it was 8 years ago. In looking at the school boundaries (now and then), it appears to me that Ryle was impacted the most by the addition of Cooper.

People need to remember that the 33rd district with 4 6A schools and county rivals is one of the toughest districts in the state. Tough to get out of and others around NKY should be thankful your district is not like that.

Don't disagree that the 33rd is tough, but ask just anybody and they will say the 35th is the toughest district in NKY.

People need to remember that the 33rd district with 4 6A schools and county rivals is one of the toughest districts in the state. Tough to get out of and others around NKY should be thankful your district is not like that.

The issue isn't just getting out of the district . For recent years Ryle hasn't been competitive outside of the district either.

I can't get my head around the "why" but I can tell you that they have the right coach.

I think the majority of the reason is Cooper. The athletic talent in the county is now being spread across 4 schools rather than 3 like it was 8 years ago. In looking at the school boundaries (now and then), it appears to me that Ryle was impacted the most by the addition of Cooper.

But they still have big numbers, enrollment wise. Are they losing bball kids to CovCath? They should still be a high quality team year in and year out.