Who is winning Mr. Basketball

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Will Hager from Mercer Co ? Cant imagine any player doing more for his team..big time toughness and savy on 24-0 team.

Hager has never really stood out to me in the 4 times I've seen Mercer play. He's an All-Region type player, but i don't think he's an All-Stater (though based on his hype I expect he will be). Faulkner is by far the best player on the team, and I'd take Blevins as the top senior in the region.

Hager has never really stood out to me in the 4 times I've seen Mercer play. He's an All-Region type player, but i don't think he's an All-Stater (though based on his hype I expect he will be). Faulkner is by far the best player on the team, and I'd take Blevins as the top senior in the region.

Faulkner is a tremendous player, no question. I'm not comparing him to his own teammate.

Let's be honest. Hager never had the "hype" of a Goodin or Williams. It has always been theirs to lose. They are both elite players and are on another level compared to other seniors in this state. That said, whatever hype Hager had was based on his role as the leading SCORER the last 3 seasons at Mercer. Now that he's not doing that...

This year, he finds himself surrounded by 3 other kids that would be leading scorers on most high school teams. What's being asked of him this year is completely different than in the past. He's actually shooting less than 10 times per game, but shooting in the upper 50's % and mid 70's on FT's.

He controls the game for his team; is the vocal leader; averages more assists; and draws the toughest defensive assignment the second half of most games. He is doing whatever it takes to get the W, and his team is 24-0 today.

Most times, people see stats, scoring in particular. He could be averaging 23 PPG if that were his goal, but his team would suffer. Leaders lead, which requires personal sacrifice. This kid doesn't care about personal accolades, which is rare to say the least. His priority is winning.

It will come down to Goodin and Williams but I think overall Q is the best player in the state and deserves the award. Carson would be an excellent choice as well but I fear Q won't get the votes he should because of politics.

I do think Ben Weyer is a legit candidate as well. His numbers tell everyone all they need to know.

Faulkner is a tremendous player, no question. I'm not comparing him to his own teammate.

Let's be honest. Hager never had the "hype" of a Goodin or Williams. It has always been theirs to lose. They are both elite players and are on another level compared to other seniors in this state. That said, whatever hype Hager had was based on his role as the leading SCORER the last 3 seasons at Mercer. Now that he's not doing that...

This year, he finds himself surrounded by 3 other kids that would be leading scorers on most high school teams. What's being asked of him this year is completely different than in the past. He's actually shooting less than 10 times per game, but shooting in the upper 50's % and mid 70's on FT's.

He controls the game for his team; is the vocal leader; averages more assists; and draws the toughest defensive assignment the second half of most games. He is doing whatever it takes to get the W, and his team is 24-0 today.

Most times, people see stats, scoring in particular. He could be averaging 23 PPG if that were his goal, but his team would suffer. Leaders lead, which requires personal sacrifice. This kid doesn't care about personal accolades, which is rare to say the least. His priority is winning.

He is good, no doubt, and a key part of Mercer Co's success. I just haven't ever seen anything to tell me he's a top 10 player in the state, and if being a top 10 player in the state is questionable, you aren't Mr Basketball.

Doesn't mean he isn't good, just not the best.