Bowling Green Purples Regular Season Recap

Purples end regular season with a 9 and 1 record. With the exception of about a 20 minute meltdown at St X, they could/would have run the table.

Special Teams - B+ This year Special Team squad has done an above average job. Jr. Lee Ramsey has greatly improved his leg strength as well as his accuracy (should be top 5 kicker in Bluegrass next season). Rarely will you see an opposing team advance the ball past the 30 on kickoff returns past the Purples.

Defense - B+ Purples do great job against the run and are typically lights out against the pass. Tre Fant has to be the defensive MVP with 9 picks in 10 games. Much can be said about our line backers as well. Some across state think their Defense is as good as Purples; not so fast. What separates Purples with most other squads is our stats in the 2nd half. Our defensive coaches are simply the best at making halftime adjustments.

Offense - A Jr. Jamele Carothers has 17 TDS with around 950 yards in 10 games. He has a real chance to be alltime leading scorer at BG when he hangs it up after next season. Jr. Clark Payne has stepped in the QB position and has done a fantastic job. 21 TDS with only 4 picks. 65% completion rate. Very heady, accurate player.

Could have gone into greater detail in all areas but bottom line is Purples had a great season and are primed for another run. Without looking over any team the Purples have week 3 circled on the calendar. Purples and Red Devils go way back. Much respect. Should be a doosey.

Food for thought. Next season our skills will be QB Payne, RB Carothers and WR Wilson (12 receiving TDS this year). A few starters on our O Line will return (it really won't matter with Carothers being so good). Add a large group of upcoming solid players should make a very special season. I believe we will have 8 running clock games out of 15 games with a perfect season.

First things first. Good luck Purples. 5 more wins!

Anyone who writes "it really won't matter" in regards to the quality of an offensive line, is not to be trusted in terms of football knowledge.

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying is there will only be 2 regular season games for Purples next year that stand a chance to beat BG. I honestly think that we would beat most teams we play next year with an all FROSH line.

Our O-line will always be one of the better lines you will find in the state but may be down next year, in regards to the"usual" BG line.

Of course, O line is important but purples only have to have a strong showing on the O line 2 times in regular season (which they will) and maybe 3 times in post season (which they will). A down year on the O line for BG is like a great year on the O line for another team in the bluegrass.

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying is there will only be 2 regular season games for Purples next year that stand a chance to beat BG. I honestly think that we would beat most teams we play next year with an all FROSH line.

Our O-line will always be one of the better lines you will find in the state but may be down next year, in regards to the"usual" BG line.

Of course, O line is important but purples only have to have a strong showing on the O line 2 times in regular season (which they will) and maybe 3 times in post season (which they will). A down year on the O line for BG is like a great year on the O line for another team in the bluegrass.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You may want to shut it down before more football people read the stuff you are saying.

ur O-line will always be one of the better lines you will find in the state but may be down next year, in regards to the"usual" BG line.

Interesting :popcorn:

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying is there will only be 2 regular season games for Purples next year that stand a chance to beat BG. I honestly think that we would beat most teams we play next year with an all FROSH line. Our O-line will always be one of the better lines you will find in the state but may be down next year' date=' in regards to the"usual" BG line. Of course, O line is important but purples only have to have a strong showing on the O line 2 times in regular season (which they will) and maybe 3 times in post season (which they will). A down year on the O line for BG is like a great year on the O line for another team in the bluegrass.[/quote']

What???????

Spoken like a true PURPLE FAN ! BG is good but they are not unbeatable !

I just think any notion that a varsity team will have success with purely a freshman offensive line is absolutely absurd. There's a fine line between optimism and crazy, and this is probably as crazy of a statement I've seen in quite a while.

I think I am in a no win situation. I can see how my words are strong and how it sits "un-well" with many. I simply am saying that our running game should not struggle next year due to the fact that a Mr. Football quality player will be in the backfield. Our O - Line will not be as strong as in years past but they will still do a great job of protecting the QB and making their assignments.

Most of our opponents will struggle stopping our running game. Not sure what else I can say. It is what it is.