Interesting fact about NFL Teams and the Drafted players

I heard this and thought it was a bit too high so I did some research.

Mike Tricco said this after the draft was over , he said that 32% of the players in the NFL were not drafted. I thought that was a high number of undrafted Free Agents in the league but a little research shows that to be the case.

In 2014 there were over 400 players who never heard their name called during the NFL Draft the years they were signed by NFL teams. So big of a part does the undrafted free agents make up each NFL team's makeup that just last year the Cleveland Browns had an astounding 22 players who were not drafted. That is a 42% makeup of their entire roster.

Just thought that spoke volumes on how much of a crap shoot the draft is in my opinion. For every Toom Brady out there who doesn't get drafted until the later rounds, there are even more stories of those who never got their name called at all yet have huge NFL careers.

Mike Tricco said this after the draft was over , he said that 32% of the players in the NFL were not drafted. I thought that was a high number of undrafted Free Agents in the league but a little research shows that to be the case.

In 2014 there were over 400 players who never heard their name called during the NFL Draft the years they were signed by NFL teams. So big of a part does the undrafted free agents make up each NFL team's makeup that just last year the Cleveland Browns had an astounding 22 players who were not drafted. That is a 42% makeup of their entire roster.

Just thought that spoke volumes on how much of a crap shoot the draft is in my opinion. For every Toom Brady out there who doesn't get drafted until the later rounds, there are even more stories of those who never got their name called at all yet have huge NFL careers.

Very true. The Bengals the last few years basically have had all undrafted players at linebacker. This will be probably one of the first years in a long time where they will have more guys who were actually drafted than undrafted at linebacker. Ryan Hewitt and Tez are obviously two of the better ones they have who were undrafted, and also Andrew Hawkins before he left.

So it is definitely a sign for the guys who didn't get drafted not to give up, because you still could have a chance. You just have to make the most of the opportunity when you do get that chance.

Often these players are put in better positions to succeed because they can go where their needs are in demand. Now is this opening day roster or a total count of the guys they play in a given season?

Don't think for a minute though that this makes the draft less important. Despite what seems like a high number, this still means 7 out of every 10 players ARE drafted. And by and large, most impact players (ie stars) ARE drafted. And while there may be 400 undrafted players on rosters in the NFL, each year only 30-40 undrafted rookies make an NFL roster each year....about 1 (and at most 2) per team. So yes, there are good (and even great) players to be had outside of the draft, but it's very difficult to be successful without drafting well. And if you are undrafted, the odds are not in your favor of making an NFL roster.

And La'el Collins is in that sitation if he gets his named cleared with authorities this week and since he's ineligible to be put in the 2016 draft, his only option is to be an undrafted FA. I'm hoping that he chooses the Steelers.:lol2:

And the other thing about the undrafted FA, they can often choose which team they want to sign with--when more than one team is interested. This means they can look at the roster and see which team is more likely to need what they offer. It's still an uphill battle.

Don't think for a minute though that this makes the draft less important. Despite what seems like a high number, this still means 7 out of every 10 players ARE drafted. And by and large, most impact players (ie stars) ARE drafted. And while there may be 400 undrafted players on rosters in the NFL, each year only 30-40 undrafted rookies make an NFL roster each year....about 1 (and at most 2) per team. So yes, there are good (and even great) players to be had outside of the draft, but it's very difficult to be successful without drafting well. And if you are undrafted, the odds are not in your favor of making an NFL roster.

I agree with you. On the bold, I would be interested in seeing how many undrafted players have been named to the Pro Bowl. There are those unusual situations like Burfict, but my guess is 99% of the players who make the Pro Bowl are drafted players.

I agree with you. On the bold, I would be interested in seeing how many undrafted players have been named to the Pro Bowl. There are those unusual situations like Burfict, but my guess is 99% of the players who make the Pro Bowl are drafted players.

According to this article, of the 88 players named to pro bowl for this year, 13 were undrafted.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/For-undrafted-players-first-Pro-Bowl-always-special/682c0c79-0ff9-44e4-adb0-12f0ae268494

According to this article, of the 88 players named to pro bowl for this year, 13 were undrafted.

For undrafted players, first Pro Bowl always special

So only 85% are drafted :smug:

James Harrison has a defensive MVP & was undrafted. Kurt Warner, too.

Wes Welker, Antonio Gates, Arian Foster, Vontaze Burfict & Fred Jackson were all undrafted. I'm sure there are many others, too.

James Harrison has a defensive MVP & was undrafted. Kurt Warner, too.

Wes Welker, Antonio Gates, Arian Foster, Vontaze Burfict & Fred Jackson were all undrafted. I'm sure there are many others, too.

Victor Cruz, Tony Romo