What's the coolest "natural sight" you've ever seen?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say, as far as wildlife goes, one of the coolest things that I have ever personally witnessed took place one day when I was still working in homebuilding. I was doing a framing walk-though, and I was standing on the landing in a 2-story foyer, and I looked out the big foyer window to see a small group of black-capped chickadees fluttering right in front of the window. Just as I looked, I saw a red-tailed hawk come shooting across my field of vision (faster than hell), and grab two of the chickadees right out of the air in its talons. The other birds scattered. I ran down the steps and out the door to watch the hawk come to rest on the branch of a dead tree about 70 yards away from me, and eat both of the birds then and there. It was amazing.

Also, I once had chance to see a great horned own sitting on top of a telephone pole when I got home late one night (in the middle of Fort Mitchell) when I was living at home in my college days. The sky was clear and the moon was full, so the owl's silhouette on the pole was all I noticed at first. I sat and watched for probably 2 or 3 minutes, and then I went in the house and got one of my brothers, and we came out to see the owl swiveling its head and looking around. We walked a little closer to the pole, and when we got probably about 15 or 20 feet away from it, the owl flew off. It looked absolutely ENORMOUS in the sky, and it was utterly and completely silent as it flew. It was absolutely stunning, and I honestly just got the chills thinking about it as I was typing here...

Red Rock Canyon in Nevada or Glacier Bay in Alaska. Seeing the glacier's "caving" was awesome.

Another pretty amazing sight was seeing three killer whales swimming right on side of our cruise ship while exiting Glaicer Bay. From over 100 feet up, they looked as small as dolphins when they were jumping out of the water.

Had a momma bear (not sure what kind) and her two cubs cross about 5 feet in front of my Dad and I on Laurel Falls trail down in Gatlinburg about 6 years ago. That was pretty remarkable as well.

Yes, it's amazing on so many levels. I want to go back someday.

Me too. It's funny how it's there, and then it just ends. Really a cool place. I don't know if there's another like it or not, but I'm glad I've seen that one. Saw Mt Rushmore the same trip like most who are out there. Badlands were much more interesting to me.

I had an "owl" experience once while turkey hunting in Texas. We were trying to "roost" turkeys for the next morning's hunt. I was sitting in a small depression at the base of a mesquite tree that was about 50 yards from a river's edge where the turkeys usually roost in the cottonwoods. So, I heard an owl across the way start calling, so I started owl hooting. Finally got a couple of turkeys to gobble, but I didn't hear the real owl anymore. Of course I'm in full camo, and I felt something funky near me, you know the feeling. So, I looked up on the mesquite tree about 8 feet above me and that stinkin' owl had landed in that tree. I saw him the same time he saw me and we both pooped. He flew out of that mesquite tree and lit in one of the cottonwoods and cut one of the awfullest shines I've ever heard. Every gobbler in earshot was gobbling his head off. Worked out great, but for a brief second, staring nearly eye to eye with a 2 1/2 foot owl startled the pee out of me. It's amazing that he lit in that tree and never made a sound. Not one.

Me too. It's funny how it's there, and then it just ends. Really a cool place. I don't know if there's another like it or not, but I'm glad I've seen that one. Saw Mt Rushmore the same trip like most who are out there. Badlands were much more interesting to me.

Agreed much cooler.

My younger brother went backpacking there, ad my parents have vacationed there as well. I really hope to go there someday...

I hope you do someday. Obviously I highly recommend it.

Around 15 years ago I was in Provo, Utah. I drove up to the base of the mountain, as far as the road would go, not too far from Brigham Young University's football stadium. I looked to the west, overlooking the city, Provo Lake beyond that and another mountain range beyond that. It was a breathtaking scene.