OHIO to add a 7th Class in Football

Ohio now will have seven. Kentucky will have six. Way too many in both states. Attendance will continue to fall for regular season games. Tax levies will fail, and shortly everyone can pay for their own uniforms, buses and their own trophies. In a similar thread, the United States will continue to look for everything to be even in all we do while the Chinese zoom past us as the leader of the world.

I agree! "For Ohio", as even with the new division they have 72 teams in the top division, and 104 in each of the other 6 divisions. KY has about 32 per class correct?
About 36-37, on average. If your math is correct, Ohio would have to go to 18 or 19 classes to be as watered-down as Kentucky.

Here is the distribution of of the classes in Ohio.

Division I – 600 to 1,164

Division II – 410 to 599

Division III – 288 to 409

Division IV – 216 to 287

Division V – 159 to 215

Division VI – 114 to 158

Division VII – 30 to 111

That is a more narrow range that what Kentucky has. For example, 1A in Kentucky includes all schools with 200 or less boys. That is broken down into nearly 3 different classes in Ohio. So while there are more schools in each class in Ohio, in some ways it is harder for many schools in Kentucky than Ohio due to the broad range of boys in each class. That 50 boy school in Ohio will not have to play a school with 190 boys like the Kentucky school will.

Which would you rather do - compete against more schools closer in size or compete against fewer schools but have to beat schools with 3X the number of boys?

Here is the distribution of of the classes in Ohio.

Division I – 600 to 1,164

Division II – 410 to 599

Division III – 288 to 409

Division IV – 216 to 287

Division V – 159 to 215

Division VI – 114 to 158

Division VII – 30 to 111

That is a more narrow range that what Kentucky has. For example, 1A in Kentucky includes all schools with 200 or less boys. That is broken down into nearly 3 different classes in Ohio. So while there are more schools in each class in Ohio, in some ways it is harder for many schools in Kentucky than Ohio due to the broad range of boys in each class. That 50 boy school in Ohio will not have to play a school with 190 boys like the Kentucky school will.

Which would you rather do - compete against more schools closer in size or compete against fewer schools but have to beat schools with 3X the number of boys?

Are those three-grade or four-grade figures?

I don't know but it doesn't make a difference in the point I am making. The spread between the largest and smallest school in the classes is more narrow.
So what? Ohio is much more densely populated and has about three times the number of football schools that Kentucky does. Regardless of the enrollment differences, the classes aren't watered down by low numbers.

So what? Ohio is much more densely populated and has about three times the number of football schools that Kentucky does. Regardless of the enrollment differences, the classes aren't watered down by low numbers.

Let me put my question another way. If you have 125 boys in your school, would you prefer competing for a state title versus 70 schools with less than 150 students or 35 schools with 190 boys?

Let me put my question another way. If you have 125 boys in your school, would you prefer competing for a state title versus 70 schools with less than 150 students or 35 schools with 190 boys?
If you're good enough to compete, you're good enough to compete, unless you're playing schools with several times your enrollment ... besides, some schools choose to stay as small as they are.

The numbers never seem to affect Beechwood much.