8th Region 2019-2020

Figured I'd start this because I already miss basketball season and I want to look forward to next year. I will make some observations but please be sure to chime in throughout the offseason with any new 8th region news.

I think next season is the year of the individual player. What I mean by that is there is alot of returning individual talent. In some rankings I've seen for the 2020 class the 8th region features 2 of the top 3. Powell who sat out a year for North Oldham and McKnight at Collins. The talent does stop there because I believe the top scorer in the 8th region returns for South Oldham. Luke Morrison will lead the Dragons who could be arguably be considered the region favorites. Spencer County with Sam Conley and their young core will look to return to the Roy and win an extra game or two. Getting there and winning a game this past season was huge for them. Kelly Niece should continue to put up big numbers next year. SK played alot of underclassmen this year and should make it out of their district again. And take a look at all the small school talent next year. Trevor Hardin at Henry County who I was very impressed with. He could be a sleeper for region POY. Reece Webster at Trimble County who I believe is on pace to break TC scoring records. Wyatt Supplee who is a bucket getter for a Carroll County team that will be improved. Rassman at Gallatin County along with a couple of other returning starters should keep Gallatin the favorites on their district. Owen County was also very young and their 8th grader, I believe his last name is Teague really impressed me. They are maybe a year or 2 away from being back at the Roy. Speaking of 8th graders North Oldham has one of the top kids in the 2023 class.

I'm sure I forgot some kids but those are just the ones I've seen off the top of my head. My top 5 teams I would say:

1. Collins

2. South Oldham

3. Spencer County

4. North Oldham

5. Gallatin County

Walton had a banner year for the 8th last year, just not sure what they have returning. I know they lose Miles a d Pardee. That's alot of height and skill gone. North Oldham could blow the competition away but until I've seen how good Powell is and fits in, I can't put them ahead of who's already been there. Oldham county always seems to be there but if I remember correct they lost quite a bit from last year. The favorites have to begin and end with McKnight and Vail at Collins.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walton loses a lot more than Miles and Pardee. They lose nine seniors and I could be wrong but every contributor from this past year so expect them to take a major step back.Simon Kenton should win the 32nd convincingly and if I had to guess the runner up I would go with Grant County making its return to the ROY.

I agree with your top five. Collins returns the best backcourt in the region, and South returns the defending region player of the year Luke Morrison in addition to I believe three of their other five starters if I’m not mistaken. North Oldham should be much better next year now that they have Powell back. 29th district is going to be very competitive. The 30th district will also be interesting as they add Woodford County.

I think your write up is spot on. The 8th region is going to be very strong next year. Not only will there be some superstars like you've called out... but, there will also be some emerging underclassmen trying to prove themselves. Lots of talent, with several solid teams competing for the title... should be a lot of fun!

That North Oldham, South Oldham, Oldham County, Trimble County district will be tough. Not exactly sure what OC has returning but they're always in the mix. Trimble needs to get out of that district and move in with Carroll, Gallatin, etc. Tough for a coach to have hope for winning there in that district. When is the last time they made the region?

The small school district in my opinion is the most interesting and competitive. Gallatin will probably be the favorites but second is up for grabs. Owen Co., Carroll Co., and Henry Co. Eminence is the only team that is total rebuild mode.