A Case for Homer Bailey

jimmyref

OK I get it. $106 million wasted instead of Johnny Cueto or Mike Leake. But in 2019, the Cincinnati Reds will pay Homer Bailey $23 Million dollars. Options= A) If we trade him to another team, we will certainly have to pay part of that contract and we get no pitching from him. Plus since he is a 10 year total service and 5 with the same team, he gets to refuse the trade, if he wants to. B) Release him- 23 Million still to be paid plus the 5 million buyout next year. c) Move him to the bullpen- Homer doesn't like it and his K's have decreased with his arm injuries. Unless he develops a knuckleball, I don't think that will fly D) Pitch him every 5 days. 1-14 last year, team went 1-19 in his 20 starts. But, in those 20 starts, he got 2.82 runs support with 15 games ( 75%), he got 4 runs or less, half of them ( 50% ) 2 runs or less. 75% of his starts, he lasted 5 innings or more and faced at least 21 batters in every game. With the new pitching coach's help, maybe he can be our 5th starter. Even in last year, he still is better than Stephenson, Reed, Stephens, Romano, as an option. Converting Lorenzen or Garrett to a starter? Been there done that. So name him the 5th starter, and hope for the best. What is your thoughts?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put him in the bullpen and just never pitch him unless we are getting smoked and its the 4th inning. I will be thrilled when he is finally no longer in a Reds uniform.

This is where I'm at. If you refuse to pay him to not play (and it's not my money to say whether to or not), put him in the bullpen where he hates life and let him rot.

Y'all brothers or something? Lol, how?

I was there when he threw a no hitter. It was awesome. I notice how we never score runs or play good defense when he pitches. I can remember four times this year when he gave up a homerun right after and error that would have ended the inning.

He hasn't been as bad as people think.

I was there when he threw a no hitter. It was awesome. I notice how we never score runs or play good defense when he pitches. I can remember four times this year when he gave up a homerun right after and error that would have ended the inning.

I was there when he threw it as well, stuck around after I finished vending. But man, I want him out of Cincy.

I understand the no hitter reasoning for sure.

He has been as bad as people think though, and his attitude made it that much worse, IMO.

Yes, errors and things happen, but they don't explain his 6+ ERA.

I wish I was smart enough to examine his pitching motion of this year versus several years ago. Batters seem to knowing exactly what he is throwing. His fastball doesn't have the movement that it once had. Maybe a new pitching coach can figure it out and help him. Otherwise, get him out of town.