Spencer County 60 North Oldham 52

They were both really good games. Henry lost it in the fourth after having a solid 8 point lead for the first 25 minutes of the game. They lost that game on their own. Makes me sad as I am an HC fan, but I played under coach holland at HC for 3 years so I am happy for him. I don't know if this game was really an upset, just a huge meltdown by a NO team that looked like an all star team the first half of the ball game. The Rowan kid for NO is a stud. He will be POYin the 8th next year in my opinion.

The first 5 games in the tournament were decided by a total of 13 points.

Pretty cool. The Spencer 8 point win over North made up most of those 13 points!

Spencer rallied from a double-digit halftime deficit. Hats off to the Bears, who defeated North for the second time this season. It's a "magic carpet ride" for the Bears...

Kudos also to the North Oldham Mustangs; David Henley did an awesome job building this team for the end-of-the-year push, and few teams were playing as well as North at the end. The Mustangs did it without much size up front (other than Devon Rowan) and without a true point guard.

Should be a huge crowd in New Castle tomorrow night for the final. An "all-blue" final between two district champs, and the only two teams in the tournament to record over 20 wins in the season this year in the 8th region.

For Spencer - the region player of the year (Logan Dunbar), coach of the year (Jacob Barmore), and another all-region performer (Trey Wyatt) vs. Oldham County's three all-region players: Kerry Smith, Tyler Wesley, and Nolan Denise. Should be a barn-burner. Before the tournament, I predicted that the winner of the finals would be lucky to reach 50 points, and I'm sticking with that prediction, especially now that the defensive-minded Colonels are in the finals.

This will be a knock-down, drag-out battle, but it will be interesting to see how Spencer's huge emotional surge helps or hurts them... They have to be on a HUGE high right now. A school that has for so long lived in the shadows of Shelby and Anderson in the 30th is living the dream - and one game away from the Sweet 16.

But Oldham is also on a bit of an emotional ride...Oldham's rather significant successes in the first part of this century (Oldham won the region in 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2007) makes everyone forget that none of these kids have ever even played in the region tournament. Oldham has been as absent from the region tourney the last three seasons as Spencer has...

Kudos to both teams and best of luck tomorrow night.

For all the fans - if you can, GO TO THE ROY AND ENJOY THIS SPECTACLE. The 8th Region tournament, held in the old, tradition-laden Roy L. Winchester gymnasium, is like no other region in the state. This is the 49th consecutive year that the 8th region has held its tournament here - longer than any other region has been in one venue. It's unlike any other region tournament in that it 1) is a clearly a HS environment, with wood bleachers, what's left of a stage at one end (the renovations basically eliminated its use as a stage), 2) it's larger than 90% of the HS gyms in the state, and when full has nearly 6,000 people packed into it, and 3) it doesn't have the "modern" - almost antiseptic - feel that the college and other non-HS venues have such as Bellarmine, BOK, Murray State, WKU, etc. At Henry County, the fans are right on the edge of the court... Come out and see what should be an exciting, tight battle.

If you cannot attend, listen to the game live on the internet at http://www.pegasussportsky.com Click on any of the school logos, then click on the game listing under "Upcoming / Live Broadcasts" (OR...you can listen after the game to the broadcast as an archive for at least a year...)

I was very impressed with Spencer's fans. They were loud the entire game!!!

Yes they were. Crazy amounts of fans, and for such a small school to have that many students there was verryyyy impressive. Kudos to them. They made the game even better, except for the I believe that we will win chants. Lol.

I am not sure Spencer should be considered a small school. They don't play in the Class A tournament. Does anyone know their enrollment?

They are not a Class A school. Per KHSAA, they will be Class 4A in football next year, with an average 2 Year (boys) enrollment of 443.5, so they have about 887 students. That makes them just a hair larger than North Oldham (441.5 boys) and just a hair smaller than Collins (460 boys).

Just below North Oldham in Region 8 is Henry County (355.5 boys), Carroll County (295.5 boys), and Owen County (294.5 boys), to give you a point of reference...

If you go in Spencer's gym, though, it is truly a small-school atmosphere - tremendous when the place is full. It supposedly seats 1,600, but that's pushing it, I think.

Pretty cool. The Spencer 8 point win over North made up most of those 13 points!

Spencer rallied from a double-digit halftime deficit. Hats off to the Bears, who defeated North for the second time this season. It's a "magic carpet ride" for the Bears...

Kudos also to the North Oldham Mustangs; David Henley did an awesome job building this team for the end-of-the-year push, and few teams were playing as well as North at the end. The Mustangs did it without much size up front (other than Devon Rowan) and without a true point guard.

Should be a huge crowd in New Castle tomorrow night for the final. An "all-blue" final between two district champs, and the only two teams in the tournament to record over 20 wins in the season this year in the 8th region.

For Spencer - the region player of the year (Logan Dunbar), coach of the year (Jacob Barmore), and another all-region performer (Trey Wyatt) vs. Oldham County's three all-region players: Kerry Smith, Tyler Wesley, and Nolan Denise. Should be a barn-burner. Before the tournament, I predicted that the winner of the finals would be lucky to reach 50 points, and I'm sticking with that prediction, especially now that the defensive-minded Colonels are in the finals.

This will be a knock-down, drag-out battle, but it will be interesting to see how Spencer's huge emotional surge helps or hurts them... They have to be on a HUGE high right now. A school that has for so long lived in the shadows of Shelby and Anderson in the 30th is living the dream - and one game away from the Sweet 16.

But Oldham is also on a bit of an emotional ride...Oldham's rather significant successes in the first part of this century (Oldham won the region in 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2007) makes everyone forget that none of these kids have ever even played in the region tournament. Oldham has been as absent from the region tourney the last three seasons as Spencer has...

Kudos to both teams and best of luck tomorrow night.

For all the fans - if you can, GO TO THE ROY AND ENJOY THIS SPECTACLE. The 8th Region tournament, held in the old, tradition-laden Roy L. Winchester gymnasium, is like no other region in the state. This is the 49th consecutive year that the 8th region has held its tournament here - longer than any other region has been in one venue. It's unlike any other region tournament in that it 1) is a clearly a HS environment, with wood bleachers, what's left of a stage at one end (the renovations basically eliminated its use as a stage), 2) it's larger than 90% of the HS gyms in the state, and when full has nearly 6,000 people packed into it, and 3) it doesn't have the "modern" - almost antiseptic - feel that the college and other non-HS venues have such as Bellarmine, BOK, Murray State, WKU, etc. At Henry County, the fans are right on the edge of the court... Come out and see what should be an exciting, tight battle.

If you cannot attend, listen to the game live on the internet at http://www.pegasussportsky.com Click on any of the school logos, then click on the game listing under "Upcoming / Live Broadcasts" (OR...you can listen after the game to the broadcast as an archive for at least a year...)

Absolutely agree with the Colonel. If you have not been to Henry County, you need to go. We have said for 6 years that the atmosphere at the 8th Region tournament is probably the best in the state. Yes, it gets a bit warm in the gym and don't let the new front of the school fool you. It's OLD SCHOOL in the Roy. I took some pics last night that I'll post this afternoon of the inside. I hope that next year that the Region or even the state does something special to commerate the 50th year of holding the tournament there. Make sure you wave to the Colonel up top in the old press box!! We were on the floor last night and literally, the fans were looming right over the top of us.