Jordan Nevels to Highlands?

rhino

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is happening, it is because of academic as well as athletic reasons. If this were college and his athletic skills earned him a choice between two fine football schools; would he not choose to attend the one that had the better scholastic reputation - even if its only a small difference? I think they are just trying to give him a better opportunity to receive either an athletic or academic scholarship.

Originally posted by gametime

to say jordan has little chance at getting a free ride from sk in unfounded since his brothers all played there and have or will move onto the next level. i would guess academics has more to do with it than others think. this is a very bright family, that even though they possess great athletic talent, they all know that their minds are their real future. i was at an sk practice earlier this season and heard chris talking to the team after practice. he was stating that football is what it is, a sport, and you never know when it might be your last game ever. he focused on the importance of being a well rounded young man and not just an athlete. keep in mind this is comming from a former college ball player that has since graduated and is working towards his law degree at chase law school. i have never mentioned this topic to any of the nevels brothers because its their families personal decision and i dont care to know why he is moving, but i would say from personal experience that academics has as much if not more weight than athletics in this decision.

Are you telling me that SK cannot prepare a good student for college? Is there something there preventing him from achieiving his degree in college? It sounds like it worked out alright for the other boys in his family.

I'm not criticizing his decision. I trust that he and his family have thought this through. However, call me a cynic, but to say this is as much or more of an academic decision is crazy. I know that Scott High School has an excellent AP program. Why didn't he decide to go there? He wouldn't have to move. Could it be their football program struggles as much as SK's?

As we all would, he wants to play for a team that can contend. Good luck to him and I look forward to watching my team match up with him and the Birds.

Who knows? Maybe he'll be so busy with homework that he won't have time to play any sport.

Originally posted by cshs1981

Are you telling me that SK cannot prepare a good student for college? Is there something there preventing him from achieiving his degree in college?

Speaking for myself, no he could get a fine education at Simon Kenton. But if you had the chance to go to a higher rated academic school who happens to have a better football program as well, so you could give yourself not only a good chance to get an academic scholarship, but possibly an athletic scholarship, wouldn't you move too?

If athletics is simply PRIMARILY the reason for his transfer (as opposed to the ONLY reason) it is STILL a violation according to the KHSAA bylaws.

High School sports should NOT be about kids "shopping" around to find the best athletic situation for themselves...when it gets to this, we should disband SCHOOL'S sponsorships of athletics and go to the "club" system like in Europe!!! (similar to AAU basketball or "travelling" soccer teams) Do we really want that?

Does it really matter whether we think it's right or wrong morally or according to the bylaws. I'm pretty sure if it's all ready common knowledge then it's an ok move and to bring up any sorts of possibility's of this being a violation of any sort would be arrogant and naive to think that it's not all ready water under the bridge.

But hey that's jsut me. As for Jordan's ability's academic's i'm sure will play a part in to where he end's up in college, but i know that his option's WILL NOT be limited due to his ability's on the field or in the class room. As long as he stay's healthy he will have college's from all over the nation trying to get him on there campus, he can be that good.

I agree with those who say that in school you get out what you put in. For instance I'm sure that you can learn the quadratic equation at any high school in NKY. If you work hard enough you will learn what you need and graduate. In college it is similar, I can learn about any subject of my choice at just about any school of my choice. Take for instance NKU and Yale, if I work hard enough I will learn and graduate from both places. Would my degree from NKU carry the same weight as a degree from Yale??? Unfortunately not.

I'm in no position to say what will or will not happen in the future.

I know what I would like to see happen but I don't think I really have a say in the matter. I'm just waiting to hear a final decision just like everybody else.

Honestly more than anything I just really enjoy refuting peoples' points. Maybe I should think about law school.:D :argue:

Originally posted by blueblood2445

I agree with those who say that in school you get out what you put in. For instance I'm sure that you can learn the quadratic equation at any high school in NKY. If you work hard enough you will learn what you need and graduate. In college it is similar, I can learn about any subject of my choice at just about any school of my choice. Take for instance NKU and Yale, if I work hard enough I will learn and graduate from both places. Would my degree from NKU carry the same weight as a degree from Yale??? Unfortunately not.

Blood, if you're saying that you can learn the same at both Yale and NKU but Yale helps you because of their reputation, I agree. However, I don't think that logic applies to high school , regardless if you're talking about athletics or academics.

Athletics: If the kid can play, he'll be seen at SK just like Highlands. Its not like he's stuck in the mountains in say, Jackson, where not many people get to see him.

Academics: Only applies for a college example - not high school.

Athletics: If the kid can play, he'll be seen at SK just like Highlands. Its not like he's stuck in the mountains in say, Jackson, where not many people get to see him.

Academics: Only applies for a college example - not high school.

I disagree. With the reputation Highlands has around the state, it is more likely for a scout to see him there than it would be at Simon Kenton.

[Academics: Only applies for a college example - not high school. [/b]

It may not have an effect on whether you get a scholarship to college; but it sure will have an effect on how you do once you get there.

[bAthletics: If the kid can play, he'll be seen at SK just like Highlands. Its not like he's stuck in the mountains in say, Jackson, where not many people get to see him. [/b]

For all you folks in Jackson - Remember, that's "cshs1981.":lol: :lol: :lol: