The Dark Knight Rises

SvFan4life

Finally got out to see the movie last night. Great movie. I thought it ABSOLUTELY stood up to The Dark Knight, but I'd say The Dark Knight was a little better all in all. I'd have to go with DragonFire's A+ versus A++ comparison.

Count me as one that really liked Bane's voice. I thought Michael Cane's performance was borderline heartbreaking - great work on his part. I was a little disappointed by the ending, though. I felt like it was too much of Christopher Nolan's bowing down to Warner Brothers' desires. I wanted a clearer "the end of Batman".

Spoilers (Highlight To Read):

Also regarding the ending, Nolan has long touted his disdain for the character of Robin. His obvious allusion to Robin taking up Batman's mantle (and thereby giving way to Warner Brothers' next series of comic book into feature action movies) was kind of a let down, personally.

As with others, I'd have to agree that the Robin character wasn't tough to call: orphan and loner with a penchant for doing good and fighting crime. At least his name wasn't "Dick Grayson".

As someone who grew up a relative comic book geek, I was pretty positive that Miranda Tate would play Talia al Ghul...although going into the movie, I had hoped they were going to do a little more with her as a character. I thought it ended up being very well done, though. I, for one, was not positive, but was curious as to whether or not she was the climber when Ra's al Ghul explained that he was the father of the climber.

I thought Catwoman was absolutely as well done as she could have been.

For some reason or another, I really appreciated Cillian Murphy's brief appearance as Dr. Jonathan Crane.

Also, did anybody else think Daggett's assistant Stryver looked creepy as hell?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got out to see the movie last night. Great movie. I thought it ABSOLUTELY stood up to The Dark Knight, but I'd say The Dark Knight was a little better all in all. I'd have to go with DragonFire's A+ versus A++ comparison.

Count me as one that really liked Bane's voice. I thought Michael Cane's performance was borderline heartbreaking - great work on his part. I was a little disappointed by the ending, though. I felt like it was too much of Christopher Nolan's bowing down to Warner Brothers' desires. I wanted a clearer "the end of Batman".

Spoilers (Highlight To Read):

Also regarding the ending, Nolan has long touted his disdain for the character of Robin. His obvious allusion to Robin taking up Batman's mantle (and thereby giving way to Warner Brothers' next series of comic book into feature action movies) was kind of a let down, personally.

As with others, I'd have to agree that the Robin character wasn't tough to call: orphan and loner with a penchant for doing good and fighting crime. At least his name wasn't "Dick Grayson".

As someone who grew up a relative comic book geek, I was pretty positive that Miranda Tate would play Talia al Ghul...although going into the movie, I had hoped they were going to do a little more with her as a character. I thought it ended up being very well done, though. I, for one, was not positive, but was curious as to whether or not she was the climber when Ra's al Ghul explained that he was the father of the climber.

I thought Catwoman was absolutely as well done as she could have been.

For some reason or another, I really appreciated Cillian Murphy's brief appearance as Dr. Jonathan Crane.

Also, did anybody else think Daggett's assistant Stryver looked creepy as hell?

NW?

Not 100% sure what you're asking...

Nightwing?

Yes. Should they pursue that course with a separate movie, do you think they'd consider going the Nightwing route? He's a little cooler than Robin, IMO. The movie left the impression that Bruce Wayne was retired and he was leaving all the "Batman" stuff with the Robin guy.

Yes. Should they pursue that course with a separate movie, do you think they'd consider going the Nightwing route? He's a little cooler than Robin, IMO. The movie left the impression that Bruce Wayne was retired and he was leaving all the "Batman" stuff with the Robin guy.

You know, I was talking about that with my buddy that I saw the movie with. It sure would seem that would be the direction Nolan was pointing...

You know, I was talking about that with my buddy that I saw the movie with. It sure would seem that would be the direction Nolan was pointing...

I thought more of Nightwing than Robin. I don't think Robin would even register as an afterthought in Chris Nolan's world. Nightwing however, is alright. I could see a story where he takes over Bruce Wayne's legacy, but rather than be Batman, he'd alter the suit and create a new character with the same cave and gadgets. Just a guess.

I don't expect Nolan to be making the movie, but I could see Warner Bros. and DC going forward with it. They could just start entirely new, but if they wanted, I think Nolan left them a perfect starting point and back-story for a Nightwing character and movie(s). I'd watch it.

I thought more of Nightwing than Robin. I don't think Robin would even register as an afterthought in Chris Nolan's world. Nightwing however, is alright. I could see a story where he takes over Bruce Wayne's legacy, but rather than be Batman, he'd alter the suit and create a new character with the same cave and gadgets. Just a guess.

I don't expect Nolan to be making the movie, but I could see Warner Bros. and DC going forward with it. They could just start entirely new, but if they wanted, I think Nolan left them a perfect starting point and back-story for a Nightwing character and movie(s). I'd watch it.

Good point.

And I agree that Nolan wouldn't be likely to make the movie. Particularly because, if you ask me...I'd wager to guess that the ending (SPOILER): John Blake revealed as ROBIN Blake, and more particularly the open-ended detail of Bruce Wayne surviving was more of a Warner Bros/DC idea than a Nolan one. It gives Warner Bros and DC Comics more opportunity to capitalize on the success of Nolan's Dark Knight movies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...