Herman Cain wins the Florida Republican Straw Poll

swamprat

I am still gathering information on him, but on the surface I like what I see. His 999 plan has merit from where I sit, if only but a starting gun to real tax reform.

In a nutshell the 999 plan overview is...

9% flat corporate income tax rate

9% flat personal income tax rate

9% national sales tax

No deductions.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still gathering information on him, but on the surface I like what I see. His 999 plan has merit from where I sit, if only but a starting gun to real tax reform.

In a nutshell the 999 plan overview is...

9% flat corporate income tax rate

9% flat personal income tax rate

9% national sales tax

No deductions.

Way too many questions about this plan to be able to say it's a good idea or not IMO.

I've read that the lower middle class and the poor will be harmed the most due to the sales tax hitting them the hardest as far as % of income.

Questions about people who get 1099s today for labor. Are they now going to have to start charging sales tax to cover their new liability?

Will the 9 9 9 revenue be enough?

So with this plan, a person may have to pay upwards of 14 to 15% tax on any and all items? What about food?

Does that also mean that with the restaurant meals taxes of some localities, a meal could have a tax bill of 18 to 20%?

I'm not against the plan, just trying to figure out what it really effects. One thing is for sure, the poor waiter/waitress better expect lower tips and thereby lower pay on that job.

Doesn't he end the payroll tax with his plan? If so, that's 7.65 from both employer and employee. That's going to offset a lot of the sales tax effect but how do they figure social security into the equation? I would love to see some revenue projections.

The most common projection I've seen is revenue of $1.8T with spending of $2.1T.

However, that assumes our behavior stays the same.

Doesn't he end the payroll tax with his plan? If so, that's 7.65 from both employer and employee. That's going to offset a lot of the sales tax effect but how do they figure social security into the equation? I would love to see some revenue projections.

Didn't think about that part. You are correct that it makes one wonder where SSI fits into this. Thanks for the feedback.