Are the Bengals Becoming Irrelevant In Cincinnati??

I honeslty don't know how true this is, nor do I have a report to verify it, but I was told that Mike Brown turns a profit on the Bengals before the gates even open for the first home game, so it really doesn't matter what the attendance is (granted he makes more).

Probably true on turning a profit before the doors open due to TV $$, but yesterday he was about 25K short of capacity. Figuring about $50/head with concessions, etc. that's about $1.25 million left on the table, to say nothing of the empty luxury boxes, club seats, etc. that add to that total. He's feeling it, but will he listen--Doubtful!! $1.25 mil would buy a pretty good GM, with a few scouts to boot??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably true on turning a profit before the doors open due to TV $$, but yesterday he was about 25K short of capacity. Figuring about $50/head with concessions, etc. that's about $1.25 million left on the table, to say nothing of the empty luxury boxes, club seats, etc. that add to that total. He's feeling it, but will he listen--Doubtful!! $1.25 mil would buy a pretty good GM, with a few scouts to boot??

I would say your $50 guess is very low estimate but I agree.

Home opener--43,000 announced, sounds like it was much less?? In danger of blackouts all year except when PB turns into Pittsburgh South?? 14 posts on the game update thread?? And worst of all--NO BGP final game thread??

Are the fans finally speaking with their wallets (Hope so)? Are the fans losing interest? Does Mike Brown & the Family care?

It is just going to be like it was for most of the 90's. The only games that might sell out in those years was the Steelers and Browns sometimes, not if it happens it probably will just be the Steelers.

As I said before one thing can change all that, and that is winning. However with the economy today, and how much tickets cost and most people believing the team won't win many games at all. Then people are just not going to come. This is not a shock, we have seen this before in the 90's, and if the team starts winning then people will slowly start coming to the games again.

I am going to the game this week with my dad, but only because we were able to score some free tickets. And as bad as they are, didn't want to pass that time up with pops! I might be secrelty cheering for Fred Jackson to have a big day though lol.

The franchise is a disgrace to professional sports.

Looks like I will be in attendance also. Who woulda thunk it?

^Smallest opening crowd in 30 years. It's going to take more than winning a few games. People are done.

Yeah obviously just wining 3 to 4 games this season is not going to get them to come. This season most likely people are not going to come, unless someway the Bengals are in playoff contention in December. Then we might see people come out, especially since there are a few big time teams coming in at the end of the year. Once again though that would take them being in playoff contention, and that is a BIG IF.

It has to be a factor. When you get frustrated fans and a bad economy it can be tough to write that check.

Agreed. I don't think they would be selling out, but the stadium wouldn't be as much of a ghost town as it was last week.

Then again, it's just incredibly difficult to get fired up about the Bengals these days. I didn't feel even a tinge of emotion last week when the Bengals lost, which is mainly from years of experience that implores me to never, ever expect the Bengals to win no matter what the situation in the game is. Even two or three years ago I would have been very frustrated about losing that game. I didn't bat an eye this week. I think a lot of us are just desensitized to it.

To be honest I am more excited about this year's team than last year's team.

Same here. I just the think the perfect storm hit and just keeps coming; CP leaving, Benson suspension, Bobbie Williams suspension, Simpson's fedex package, etc............maybe the Bengals are cursed like the Cubs. After watching the Bartman show tonight, I think I believe in curses. Did not know Buckner had on a Cubs batting glove when he misplayed Mookie's ball. Wow.