Are the Bengals Becoming Irrelevant In Cincinnati??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown will never get the same kind of revenue stream from his stadium deal in LA that he gets in Cincy. That's all he cares about, his money.

I agree completely, which is the reason I don't see the team going to LA. Brown would never get near the revenue that he is getting in Cincinnati if the team was in Los Angeles and he may not it in other areas.

^ I would say it is more frustration than anything.

Probably a big combination of both. The Bengals did great selling out games for a long time there, but right when the economy really started to go way down so did the attendance. We saw the Bengals barely start to sell out games, and that was even during the 2009 playoff season, and then even early last year when people had a lot of hope for them. So economy definitely has played a big role in it, and then the fact that people don't like Mike Brown, and most people thought the team would suck this year. That leads to the attendance in games we have seen so far.

To be honest I am more excited about this year's team than last year's team.

Same here. I just the think the perfect storm hit and just keeps coming; CP leaving, Benson suspension, Bobbie Williams suspension, Simpson's fedex package, etc............maybe the Bengals are cursed like the Cubs. After watching the Bartman show tonight, I think I believe in curses. Did not know Buckner had on a Cubs batting glove when he misplayed Mookie's ball. Wow.

I have to call bull on those comments. It's easy to say that when we saw the end result of last years team, and the Diva receivers. However before last season started the Bengals just came out from making the playoffs. Looked like the improved their receiver core by adding Shipley and Gresham, and TO. So every Bengal fan had huge hopes for last season. It's easy to forget the excitement people had before last year, since we know how it ended up. Yes it can be refreshing seeing a bunch of new players that will be here with us for the next decade, so makes it excited to see. However there is no way a Bengal fan could have been more excited about this years team than last years. Don't let how last season went, make you forget how everyone felt before last season started and the Patriots quickly changed things.

I don't see Mike Brown doing that right now. He's got a very good situation for his wallet. Even when the Bungles suck, he's still going to make money. Obviously it doesn't come down to wins and loses.

I honeslty don't know how true this is, nor do I have a report to verify it, but I was told that Mike Brown turns a profit on the Bengals before the gates even open for the first home game, so it really doesn't matter what the attendance is (granted he makes more).

I can't find the story right now, but I'm almost certain it was on the Grantland.com site, but it was noting how crummy owners such as Mike Brown have little incentive to try to win because of the TV deal, if for no other reason than the fact it's safer from an economic standpoint to stand pat rather than sign the needed guys to get them over the hump, because the potential payoff of winning the Super Bowl might be less than just running the franchise on the cheap.

Enjoy being used, Bengals fans. I'd laugh, but the situation is far too sad for that.

I think Jacksonville has a pretty big lead in the race to be the LA team.

From what I've read, they're even more locked-in to their current situation than the Bengals.

Really, why don't they just move the current low-rent franchise in the desert to LA, then have them swap uniforms, logos, etc., with St. Louis so that everything can be right again?

Bening from Northern Kentucky and a huge football fan, it would phase me one bit to see the Bengals leave for LA or any other destination. The only sad thing about that move would be a number of people that would be out of work. But I say let them go to LA.

I am starting to think that Mike Brown is like the chick who owns the Indians in Major League...He is doing his best to make the team as bad as they can be so that way the move and he can make even more money.

Brown will never get the same kind of revenue stream from his stadium deal in LA that he gets in Cincy. That's all he cares about, his money.

Correct. His franchise is worth almost 900 million and it's making almost 50 million a year. Why try to win?