Does Highlands Have Boyle County to Thank???

jbwill2

Many people who have followed the Highlands football program seem to think that the program has taken a big leap forward over the past 5-6 years.

Earlier on, Highlands, thanks in large part to a very, very talented group of athletes (guys who come along very rarely), went on a big run from the mid-1990s through 2000, winning state titles in 1996, 1998, 1999 and 2000. The Bluebirds then graduated one of the program's best football classes ever following the 2000 season. In 2001, Boyle County entered Highlands' football class and proceeded to dominate the class from 2001-2003, culminating in a Boyle County beatdown of Highlands in the 2003 state title game. I remember reading a quote from Coach Mueller some time around the 2003 or 2004 season, when asked about the Boyle County threat to Highlands' football dominance. He said something to the effect of "Boyle County has learned how to 'out-Highlands' Highlands, and now we (Highlands) must learn how to 'out-Boyle County' Boyle County," which I took to mean that Highlands must adapt to the challenge and significantly upgrade how the program goes about preparing for and playing football. Highlands then beat Boyle County for the title in 2004, and a couple of years later became absolutely dominating in football.

So, in light of all this, does Highlands have Boyle County to thank for the kind of success the program has experienced over the past few years? Did the challenge posed by Boyle County a decade ago force Coach Mueller and the Highlands football program to make some significant changes?

Edited by jbwill2

Very interesting question and thoughts. That being said....I guess all I can say on behalf of Boyle County fans is you're welcome. I guess? :ohbrother: :D We may have created a monster...:notworthy::isurrender:

I know we are currently trying to get to Highlands' level from high school through the elementary leagues. Seeing what Highlands is doing every Friday at the level they are doing it is nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the plethora of football minds from Mueller, Lorenzen, Collinsworth and Hoge(just to name a few)contributing to the program assure that Highlands will maintain this level of success for many many years. I tip my cap to the Highlands program and I am grateful that Boyle and Highlands are in the same class for the next 3 years. Being in the same class only helps our program out in the long run.

"You're Welcome." :lol:

Actually Boyle tasted a run that is rare air for only a few programs in the state. We hope to continue to grow and be contenders but don't try to pretend that our heritage is on par with the Birds among others. :thumb:

Here's who you should thank; The parents that I just drove by tonight teaching the little ones the game of football in the pouring rain. There are some folks that like to grandstand and say they did this and that, but the folks on the frontlines earn my respect. You should also thank guys like Jared Lorenzen who give back to the program and it also doesn't hurt to have other pro football players like Cris Collinsworth and Merrill Hoge. Without these, the Highlands football program doesn't leap forward no matter what the "others" may lead you to believe.

I say this in all seriousness and zero bitterness:

The key to getting HHS back to the title in 2004 was Mike Mitchell and Mike Stowers. They were already really good. That put them over the top that year and they've rolled pretty well since then.

Here's who you should thank; The parents that I just drove by tonight teaching the little ones the game of football in the pouring rain. There are some folks that like to grandstand and say they did this and that' date=' but the folks on the[/b'] frontlines earn my respect. You should also thank guys like Jared Lorenzen who give back to the program and it also doesn't hurt to have other pro football players like Cris Collinsworth and Merrill Hoge. Without these, the Highlands football program doesn't leap forward no matter what the "others" may lead you to believe.

So you look down your nose at the people who "grandstand "(as you call it ) , and you can't get out of your recliner to go see a game in person ? I really don't think there are many Highlands fans that are worried about gaining " your respect ". I would prefer that you reply to this post in a private message , as I will not reply to your future post on this thread. ( As you can see , I retracted my " no comment " post.)

So you look down your nose at the people who "grandstand "(as you call it ) , and you can't get out of your recliner to go see a game in person ? I really don't think there are many Highlands fans that are worried about gaining " your respect ". I would prefer that you reply to this post in a private message , as I will not reply to your future post on this thread. ( As you can see , I retracted my " no comment " post.)

Whack - Hoosier loves PMs.

I say this in all seriousness and zero bitterness:

The key to getting HHS back to the title in 2004 was Mike Mitchell and Mike Stowers. They were already really good. That put them over the top that year and they've rolled pretty well since then.

Nevel's certainly helped that class too.

It appears to me that the key thing that has led to Highlands' dominance is the total commitment to platoon football. I would give credit to Dale Mueller for making that leap. Boyle County may have pushed Mueller to make that move in an effort to gain an edge but that is the move that has made the difference. I don't think anyone in N. Ky. was doing that till Mueller did it. Now other teams are doing it in an effort to catch the Bluebirds.

I agree with Hoosier on this one...There are too many ppl that deserve credit. More than big names or a certain class like the 2004 group there are the FAMILIES who sacrifice time, vacations, etc. To get their kids to practice, pack the lunches, support their son who isn't the star anymore or encourage them when they think abt giving up, or are there for them when their position has been changed or the sophomore who rarely gets in unless it's a blowout or JV game.

There is also a cradle of coaches led by Mueller who spend more hours that can be counted planning, practicing, meeting, breaking down film every week. It is as if they get together as soon as Friday's game is over & start all over again putting together a new game plan for the next opponent. These coaches are names that rarely get mentioned. Weinrich, Turner, Jones, Hall, Swope, Dill, Leopold, Behymer, Murray, Evans, and more. Of course, Collinsworth is an incredible person/coach to have on staff too!

Finally, IMO the Birds do a large part of winning in the offseason beginning the first day back after Christmas break, through spring football, all the way up to the summer. There are countless 3 hour long workouts all with 1goal...Get better everyday, while being a high character person & the best student you can be.