Attn: Fans/Supporters of traditional football powers

Jim Schue

Why does your school been able to build its tradition, and continue to be successful year in and year out? I'm looking for specific things that the program and its supporters do that helps give the team an extra advantage. And please, none of that public-private sniping or allegations of illegal/unethical activites in this thread, that's not what I'm looking for here. I would ask moderators quickly delete any post that crosses the line into that territory. I'm mostly looking for things done at the lower levels (middle school, JV, etc), or things the fans and supporters and school administration do to help the team get a leg up (fund-raising, etc.).

I may also contact some of you through PM to elaborate, if that's OK with you.

Thanks,

JS

The most obvious advantage Trinity, St. X, Desales, Holy Cross, Sacred Heart, Assumption, Mercy and Presentation have is the Catholic Schools Athletic Association (CSAA). The CSAA is the body which organizes grade school athletics among the Catholic grade schools which are predominately in Jefferson County.

When a football player, volleyball player, etc. arrives their freshman year, they already have 4-6 years of experience in that sport being coached by the wonderful coaches the CSAA has. This is a huge advantage over the publics who many of their athletes first experience at organized sports may be their freshman year.

Well down here in Russell we have a JFL league in place. I think we start the little ones in flag football at 5. Then when they hit 7 they move up to full contact. From 7-10 they play on the same team. 7-8 year olds make up the "B" team and the 9-10 make up the "A" team. After that they move up by grades. We have a sixth grade, seventh grade, eighth grade and Freshman teams before moving on to Varsity ball. Effectively a youngster could have 8 years of experience before moving to varsity ball. Hope that's the kind of information you were looking for.

Starting in the fourth grade in Mayfield the kids learn the same base plays and being a smaller school helps some too in my opinion...8 years later you have the same core group running the same plays on Varsity. They have been coached by former Mayfield players who want them to excel! Mayfield always also plays a tough non-district schedule to ready them for the playoffs. Plus the pride of playing for Mayfield is still somewhat loathed after!

Starting in the fourth grade in Mayfield the kids learn the same base plays and being a smaller school helps some too in my opinion...8 years later you have the same core group running the same plays on Varsity. They have been coached by former Mayfield players who want them to excel! Mayfield always also plays a tough non-district schedule to ready them for the playoffs. Plus the pride of playing for Mayfield is still somewhat loathed after!

Didn't you mean sought after ? ;)

I agree with Bert for Louisville schools. There is simply no way to express the value of the CSAA and the quality of the coaches these kids work with throughout their formative years. They, as much as anyone, deserve a great deal of credit for what the high schools are able to achieve after the kids enter their schools.

It looks as if the common factor in all these post is the Junior Football Leagues and the answer to your question. :thumb:

I think it is that (Jr. football) PLUS the participation percentage levels once the students reach high school. In other words, at successful programs the kids play as a grade/middle schooler and then CONTINUE to play entering high school. Or they may even first start playing upon entering high school. In not so successful programs, many of the students who once played football choose another sport, choose other activities, or simply no longer chose to play upon entering high school.

I agree with Bert for Louisville schools. There is simply no way to express the value of the CSAA and the quality of the coaches these kids work with throughout their formative years. They, as much as anyone, deserve a great deal of credit for what the high schools are able to achieve after the kids enter their schools.

The CSAA is a huge advantage. X also has family oriented traditions that bring the team together:

1. On 2 a days...the players must eat together in the gym.

2. There are Freshman, JV, and Varsity picnics for players and family.

3. There is a STX MOMS club.

4. There are Football parents groups.

5. Top players stand on the sideline at Freshman games and cheer on their younger "brothers". This year, Vic Anderson attended just about every game giving advise and support.

6. Coaches continually preach "for the Team" and not the individual.

7. Players get to design their own "Team Football shirt"

There are many speeches and motivational exercises every year...For Example...this year X brought in the young man who plays football...but has no legs. Very moving to a young impressionable high schooler to see this type of drive in someone their age.....takes all the excuses about being tired...or whatever away!

I think it is important for the Jr. League programs to keep it fun and informative. It should be instructional not necessarily play just to win. Rotating alot of kids into positions and teaching basics will turn little league'rs into eager, knowledgable freshman and JV players. Too long a season on top of only the chosen few getting playing time will cause burnout.

I think it is important for the Jr. League programs to keep it fun and informative. It should be instructional not necessarily play just to win. Rotating alot of kids into positions and teaching basics will turn little league'rs into eager, knowledgable freshman and JV players. Too long a season on top of only the chosen few getting playing time will cause burnout.

I have coached in the CSAA for several years and this is the case.

In the 3rd and 4th Grade divisions...playing time MUST be equal. For example in basketball...all players must have equal time...The scorer's table keeps track to ensure compliance.

There are also several teams so everyone gets to play. No one gets cut at our school. Once again take basketball, We had 27 kids sign up for the 7th and 8th grade team. So we have 3 teams. The 1st team coach picks his team, then the second team, and so forth. They then compete against other 1st, 2nd or 3rd teams. Everyone gets plenty of time this way.

Divisions are also set up like KHSAA in A, AA,...etc.. divisions

In Crittenden Co. we had always had a youth league consisting of 4 teams that had players from 3rd-6th grade. This stopped in the fall of '93 when they went to 2 teams, one of 3rd and 4th graders, and another for 5th-6th graders. These teams then began playing other towns, I believe they consisted of Morganfield,Sturgis, Dixin, Clay, South Hopkins and possibly one or 2 other teams that I can't remember. That year the 5th and 6th grade team went 11-1 and won the WKY little league title. The class of 2000 was in 6th grade when they/we won that very first year so they (we) were the first class to reach the ranks of HS in the fall of 96. Prior to the Youth Football league that played other communities The Rockets had only had I think 4 or 5 winning seasons in the High School ranks. Since 96 they've had 8 winning seasons. The key I think starts with competitive little league

Why does your school been able to build its tradition, and continue to be successful year in and year out? I'm looking for specific things that the program and its supporters do that helps give the team an extra advantage. I'm mostly looking for things done at the lower levels (middle school, JV, etc), or things the fans and supporters and school administration do to help the team get a leg up (fund-raising, etc.).

I may also contact some of you through PM to elaborate, if that's OK with you.

Thanks,

JS

A quality youth league program is only one piece of the puzzle for all of the true traditional powers. A supportive admin. is vital as is community suport, a strong booster club that contributes $ and manpower. The booster club here recently played a major role in getting Mayfield Football a new state of the art practice facility. Mayfield has always been one of the states traditional football powers going all the back to the programs birth so it is difficult to see the origins of how our program reached lofty heights. Our job ever since has been to maintain but that is a different animal in someways than starting from scratch. Kids here grow up going to high school games dreaming of playing just like their dads and granddads did. If your looking for how to start up a program and try and make it successful I think a hard look at the Boyle Co. program is a great blueprint