Trinity due to be a preseason top 10 team in Rivals Rankings

jbwill2

RE, the question that may point out why some are saying you are off base is this - what public schools in Kentucky will not allow an out of district student attend their school? The only ones I know of in Northern Kentucky are the Boone County Schools. I believe every other school in N. Ky. allows out of district students in if they have the room. You quoted Mueller above, but Highlands is just like every other N. Ky. school (except Boone) and allows out of district students to attend their school. So where is the advantage/disadvantage?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question VR. I am not as familiar with the rest of the state's districts as I am with the NKY for obvious reasons (where I reside). I think it would be interesting to find out. I looked for a website, but could not find one. I would be interested in finding out. Do you think the BC School District is the only one (or one of few) that does not allow this? Would like to see a chart with a break down.

That's a good question VR. I am not as familiar with the rest of the state's districts as I am with the NKY for obvious reasons (where I reside). I think it would be interesting to find out. I looked for a website, but could not find one. I would be interested in finding out. Do you think the BC School District is the only one (or one of few) that does not allow this? Would like to see a chart with a break down.

Why don't you start a thread and ask everyone to name the schools that are open enrollment and the ones that are not.

It most certainly is an issue when the publics have to beat the privates for a state championship. HUGE advantage for the privates. HUGE. Anytime you can take kids from out of district and start forming all star teams in the privates, the entire system has lost it's integrity. It becomes more like AAU basketball imo. There are no barriers or borders, they need to have separation. If anyone in their right mind thinks there is no advantage here and it's all fair, then you must be a fan of the privates.

Out of district, hell try out of state.

I don't disagree RE. I just wonder how to classify the schools like Beechwood, Highlands, etc that are their own independent school system, yet can accept children from outside their district if they have the availability at the school, and if the parents pay for them to attend school there. A third tier, or throw them in with the private schools? Your thoughts?

Private, let's face it their success is linked to their ability to accept just about any player. In the same light and as much as it pains me. I think you should also include schools from LARGE counties that have open enrollment such as the 3 NKY counties, Fayette, and Jefferson (disclaimer I have no idea which of those counties other than Kenton allows open enrollment.)

I don't see it as a public-private issue at all. Just look at the big public schools in Ohio, they are right there with the privates. 6A public school football in KY is mediocre at best and that is the issue, not Trinity.

Alot of those big schools in OH are established, and not up and coming programs like we have in KY. Not to mention the fact that very few schools match up with Trinity number wise or in terms of depth. Public school are at a disadvantage and that's just about all there is to it.

You are correct that private schools and many independent schools have an advantage. No question. However, the KHSAA is not giving them an advantage. Schools that do not allow out of district schools are giving them that advantage. I do concur that it will never be totally even because schools such as Boone County schools do HAVE to take kids that live within their district. Even if Boone opened it up to outsiders there would still be limitations placed upon them simply because of the in-district kids that would get first priority. However, should Boone open it up and a kid decide that Ryle would be better for him than his district school (or private school option) then the public schools would be in better shape.

It's not as cut and dry as either side makes it out to be.

I undertstand what you are saying but I think RE's stance is that of it's much easier to have one governing body make adjustments rather than trying to tell 100 different bodies that they're costing their school the chance to be real winners because of their policies.

Exactly right. The only ones you hear making this argument are the less successful among the public schools. They need to focus on learning from the others, not trying to eliminate them.

Less successful than who? The teams that have the said advantage? Hahaha come on BF, I love ya and all but let's be real here. I'd say there are only a handfull of teams in the state that really truely excell that don't have an advantage over their opponents in ragards to enrollment and more the likely that handfull probably has an advantage that I'm just not aware of.

How is it not cut and dry Clyde?

As I stated previously, schools such as Boone County schools simply do not have the room to open their doors to outsiders. They're bulging at the seams now. You can debate whether they planned properly for the growth explosion but , as Tracy Jones says, it is what it is. They can't change their current situation.

Private schools like CCH do not have to take kids simply based on where they live. Conner does. Ryle does. The publics will never be playing by the same rules as privates even if every one of them opens their doors to outsiders. You can't change the basic foundation of the public education system.

Before someone says "what about Highlands" let me remind you that Ft Thomas hasn't been filled with empty land for decades that are now being filled with new subdivisions. Beechwood would be the same. Boone schools will "only" grow this year by less than 1,000 students. My guess is that's the lowest in 5+ years.

My bet is that if Conner or Ryle or Boone had the rules changed tomorrow it would have very little impact on their program even if you had kids knocking on the door saying "let me play for you." There simply isn't room and you can't bump a kid that lives IN the district for Johnny QB.

So, essentially, we're having an academic discussion because of the realities of the situation. I am only speaking locally and specifically Boone schools. I have no idea what the rest of the schools face.

Clyde, the problem is: this didn't take place "yesterday", and it will not be fixed "tomorrow". This problem has been in the making for years, and now everyone wants a fix "today". Admittedly, I don't know all the complexities of the Boone County School System, but what if they had open enrollment say, 20 years ago. Could they have better planed for the current space problem? Would they be 6A powers now? How would that have affected the current situation?

Clyde, the problem is: this didn't take place "yesterday", and it will not be fixed "tomorrow". This problem has been in the making for years, and now everyone wants a fix "today". Admittedly, I don't know all the complexities of the Boone County School System, but what if they had open enrollment say, 20 years ago. Could they have better planed for the current space problem? Would they be 6A powers now? How would that have affected the current situation?

IMO it would not have had any impact or minimal at best.

I don't think anyone could have said 20 years ago that the county would experience the rapid growth that they did.

IMO it would not have had any impact or minimal at best.

I don't think anyone could have said 20 years ago that the county would experience the rapid growth that they did.

Maybe not, but maybe certain decisions could have been made that would have made an impact on enrollment. I (and others) have said repeatedly that the solution to space issues related to enrollment need not be that a new school is immediately built. Expansion is certainly always an option, and I wonder why more school systems don't employ it. It certainly seems that it would be a viable, cost effective solution. Resources are diluted by building completely new schools. Trinity wasn't always a large in either enrollment or size of facilities. Strategic planning has increased both the size of the campus (with academic goals being met before undertaking athletic goals) and the enrollment. When brand new schools are built, you then dilute the student enrollment at the schools from which they draw their enrollment, thus the cycle continues.

Again, it's up to each individual district to decide what they think is best. But there are pros and cons to any decision made. Trinity, for example, is limited in expansion by location. I'm not sure what more they could do academically. I'm almost positive that not much at all can be done athletically. Many public schools have far more athletic facilities than Trinity. So, the fact that a school doesn't have their own track, for instance, or tennis courts or baseball fields (Trinity has none of these) doesn't necessarily mean the school sacrifices the opportunity to put a quality athletic product out there. The biggest influence, in my opinion, is the siphoning off of the student base, diluting the athletic pool.

Maybe not, but maybe certain decisions could have been made that would have made an impact on enrollment. I (and others) have said repeatedly that the solution to space issues related to enrollment need not be that a new school is immediately built. Expansion is certainly always an option, and I wonder why more school systems don't employ it. It certainly seems that it would be a viable, cost effective solution. Resources are diluted by building completely new schools. Trinity wasn't always a large in either enrollment or size of facilities. Strategic planning has increased both the size of the campus (with academic goals being met before undertaking athletic goals) and the enrollment. When brand new schools are built, you then dilute the student enrollment at the schools from which they draw their enrollment, thus the cycle continues.

Again, it's up to each individual district to decide what they think is best. But there are pros and cons to any decision made. Trinity, for example, is limited in expansion by location. I'm not sure what more they could do academically. I'm almost positive that not much at all can be done athletically. Many public schools have far more athletic facilities than Trinity. So, the fact that a school doesn't have their own track, for instance, or tennis courts or baseball fields (Trinity has none of these) doesn't necessarily mean the school sacrifices the opportunity to put a quality athletic product out there. The biggest influence, in my opinion, is the siphoning off of the student base, diluting the athletic pool.

What do you mean by expansion? I can tell you that Conner deployed numerous trailers that their students had to use.

Here's the difference between T and Conner or Ryle. T can control their enrollment. If they are maxed out they just say no to the next kid. Conner and Ryle do not have that option.

Private, let's face it their success is linked to their ability to accept just about any player. In the same light and as much as it pains me. I think you should also include schools from LARGE counties that have open enrollment such as the 3 NKY counties, Fayette, and Jefferson (disclaimer I have no idea which of those counties other than Kenton allows open enrollment.)

But since open enrollment isn't forbidden, wouldn't that put us right back where we are? It sounds like a very large number of schools already allow open enrollment. Why put a Beechwood in with a large county school?