Fan dies going after ball Josh Hamilton tossed him

Why was there not something to stop fans from falling there? Is this not the 2nd fan at a Rangers game that has fallen over the rails in the last two seasons? Is there a case for this guys family to sue the Rangers? Why would they have a gap between the wall & the bleachers?

I honestly don't think they could sue the Rangers. I'm no attorney by any means but on the back of most, probably all tickets it has that statement that says something along the lines of "Whoever has this tickets assumes all risk...." and it goes on for a while. Almost like a paragraph if I remember right. I'm sure that would keep the Rangers organization from having to pay anything.

Not sure though. Just truly sad all the way around.

This story was just on espn's "outside the lines" program. The little boy was only 6 yrs. old. They talked to a couple that was sitting right next to them and was told they had met the man and his son previously, that game was a makeup of a rain out. The couple stated that the little boy was so happy to be at the game he showed them a new glove that he had just gotten and told them that he hadn't even caught a ball in his new glove yet. I pretty much lost it right there. The report went on and the couple said that the man was trying to get up, looked up and told them to watch his son untill he could get help. They said both arms were broken but they thought since he was talking and seemed "at himself" he would be o.k.. The paramedics showed up and took the man away with him telling them to check on his son. The stadium workers came and got the boy and took him. I think that just about anyone of us would reach to catch a ball for a child when at a game. I know in the past that I have and don't have children, just give to baseball to a kid nearby.

That space between the walls was said to be around two-three ft. wide and was a walkway for players to get to the visitors bullpen just a small distance from there. Oakland players waiting to go to the pen were waiting at the entrance while the paramedics worked with the man.

Again, prayers to the family and friends and certainly that little boy that wwatched it all.

BUT, why do people lean over too far after balls at games? If it's not in your reach then who cares! At least you will will be alive.

I think that is something that people do without thinking. Especially if one would have a kid with them, they would want to catch the ball for the kid. jmo

I honestly don't think they could sue the Rangers. I'm no attorney by any means but on the back of most, probably all tickets it has that statement that says something along the lines of "Whoever has this tickets assumes all risk...." and it goes on for a while. Almost like a paragraph if I remember right. I'm sure that would keep the Rangers organization from having to pay anything.

Not sure though. Just truly sad all the way around.

I'm still thinking the family would have a case here with a good lawyer. I honestly feel that the family should be entitled to some money, even though it would do nothing to prevent the pain they're experiencing right now.

First Reds game I took my son to was in 1988. Sat in the RF corner blue seats. The Reds were just about to come back in from shagging flies. Danny Jackson was in "our corner" and I asked him to toss me a ball for my son. He did, and that set the tone for what will probably be my son's lifelong fondness for the game. In fact, today he took my daughter and her boyfriend for a Fenway Park tour.

I simply cannot imagine what this poor boy will go through every time he sees any reference to the game of baseball. Makes me wish that we had the capability to perform selective amnesia.