For those wanting to improve UK's OOC Schedule...

swamprat

Would be too risky for the Cats. Id like to see it but just wouldnt make much sense for UK. If you go 2-6 in league play to get to 6-6 does it really matter if you beat South Florida or South Alabama?

Yes, since USF is in a BCS conference.

Yes, since USF is in a BCS conference.

Maybe for major bowls but the bowls you get at 6-6 look at how many fans you will bring more than who you beat. The fact will always remain that UK cant up their ooc schedule as long as they continue to go 2-6 in league play. I understand part of the reason they go 2-6 is a weak ooc schedule but too much money is involved in going to bowl games for UK to up their schedule and miss bowls for 5 or so years to get better.

I'll agree with 06 and 09, after Matt Grothe got hurt, but not 08 or last year, and 07 would have been one heck of a game.

As an Alum and fan of both schools, I see this as a win-win for both.

With Miami leaving USF's schedule after 2013, there are going to be major holes in the OOC schedule for the Bulls. Papa Woolard wants 2 BCS non-conference opponents a year, even with TCU starting Big East play in 2012 and the Bulls going to 8 conference games a year. Next year they host FSU and go to Miami, in 2013 they are at Michigan State and home for Miami, and in 2015 at Indiana and at Florida. In 2014, NC State plays in Tampa, but there is an opening for a BCS conference OOC away game. I'd love for that to be in Lexington with the reciprocal in Tampa in 2016 or 2017. UK travels well. Any SEC opponents, short of Vandy, will draw a full house. Win!

For UK, it's all about exposure and recruiting. My only gripe with Joker is that he does not recruit Florida well. One reason is exposure. When UK is playing the Norfolk States of the world, basically nobody sees them, except UK fans. When they play conference games, more times than not, they lose. Have them play another BCS school OOC and the exposure increases, especially if playing a Florida school, because, even if it's only regional TV, Florida kids will be watching. You have well over 120 high schools in the Tampa Bay viewing area alone. Playing UofL once a year, ain't going to get you that exposure where you need it. Win!

Charlie Sheen would be happy.

Charlie Strong, though, is tearing it up down here. Truth be told, UofL's got me concerned, for both UK and USF. I don't want the Cats left where they were during the Smith/Petrino era. And while I want the Bulls to be successful, if the UK doesn't keep up, they may left looking up at little brother, and I don't want that.

Call me selfish. I can live with that. :D

You make some great points here. I agree that the UL/USF game could really beNifit U.K. in their recruiting. Strong is well known in Florida and that will be a huge factor in his favor with any Fla. kids that U.K. and U.L. may both be looking at.

As another said and I agree, USF for the most part gets the in state kids that do not go to UF, FSU or Miami. That still gets USF great in state talent. That is just how great the talent is in Florida. USF getting the kids that do not go to the other major Florida schools still gets them far better talent than U.K.. Any ooc games that U.K. could get in Florida would help. Look at the current U.K. talent level, it sure couldn't hurt.

Would be too risky for the Cats. Id like to see it but just wouldnt make much sense for UK. If you go 2-6 in league play to get to 6-6 does it really matter if you beat South Florida or South Alabama?

I believe the game would help in recruiting. Like I said earlier it certainly couldn't hurt. Also, yes I know that U.K. gets some $$ for a bowl game but aren't people getting tired of 6-6 "Who Gives a Crap" bowl? Heck, some of the 7-5 teams in Bowl games are bad. People have different ways of looking at it and that is fine. I personally would rather not be in a Bowl game than to go to a 6-6 losers bowl, those imo are embarrassing.

I believe the game would help in recruiting. Like I said earlier it certainly couldn't hurt. Also, yes I know that U.K. gets some $$ for a bowl game but aren't people getting tired of 6-6 "Who Gives a Crap" bowl? Heck, some of the 7-5 teams in Bowl games are bad. People have different ways of looking at it and that is fine. I personally would rather not be in a Bowl game than to go to a 6-6 losers bowl, those imo are embarrassing.

I agree and think most fans are tired of those bowls but like it or not college football is a business, UK simply has no business reasons to up their schedule right now. What most fans want and what the University wants are two completely different things. Its sad college sports are at this point but they are.

My only thing is that how in the world does beating USF help UK get in a better bowl? They have a nice program but they don't do much for the OOC schedule, and they really don't look like an SEC team to me so I don't think they would help UK get better prepared. All I see is a game that UK stands to lose more than they benefit, while also risking players to injury. I'm all for UK trying to improve its place in the college football world but the USF's of the world are not the way to do it IMO.

My only thing is that how in the world does beating USF help UK get in a better bowl? They have a nice program but they don't do much for the OOC schedule, and they really don't look like an SEC team to me so I don't think they would help UK get better prepared. All I see is a game that UK stands to lose more than they benefit, while also risking players to injury. I'm all for UK trying to improve its place in the college football world but the USF's of the world are not the way to do it IMO.

They help more than Western Ky, or UTEP or a team like that.

I would love for UK to schedule USF, yes it may not make UK's OOC schedule a lot tougher but it'd help recruiting a lot more than playing cupcake teams do.

Then home and home with UCF, then. Again, a large Florida TV market and they'd probably get ESPNU coverage, too. Houston would be good and give Texas coverage. If that's too tough, Rice maybe?

You guys can call me crazy, but look out for Western in the next few years. Willie Taggart has deep roots in the Bay Area, graduate of Manatee, and has been recruiting well down here. I saw a marked improvement in the Toppers, from 2009 to his first team in 2010. His roots show in this years class of freshman. 12 of the 27 are from Florida and of those 12, 6 are from the Tampa Bay Area.

I agree and think most fans are tired of those bowls but like it or not college football is a business, UK simply has no business reasons to up their schedule right now. What most fans want and what the University wants are two completely different things. Its sad college sports are at this point but they are.

We certainly agree on the way college sports are today. The all mighty dollar is the first consideration for most schools/a.d'.s and yes, that is sad.

We certainly agree on the way college sports are today. The all mighty dollar is the first consideration for most schools/a.d'.s and yes, that is sad.

I honestly believe that to be eligible for the BCS Title a team should have to play at least one road OOC game.

I beieve that you have to start somewhere in upgrading the schedule and USF is a possible win over a BCS conference school on your o.o.c.. Should U.K. schedule some powerhouse program, that would certainly look good for the s.o.s. but if you get humiiated by them I don't think it would help.

U.K. is in the best BCS conference team in the country, I don't think that anyone can argue that. Therefore the Cats schedule is already loaded with top tanked teams. I want to see an upgrade but an upgrade with the possibility of a win anyway. Playing mid level teams in a BCS conference imo would be stronger than the current o.o.c. schedule.

Years ago and way before a BCS, U.K. had Penn State and Va. Tech on the schedule every year for a while along with the SEC teams. Although not a top ranked team every year the Cats were occasionally ranked somewhere. Those U.K. teams were far better than the Cats are now or have been in the last several years.

Imagine this years Cats playing UF.UG,UT,USC, LSU along with the couple of other conference teams and then adding VT and Penn State on that same schedule(plus some years U.K. has Bama and/or Auburn). Now add Penn State and VT ( or equivalent teams) on the schedule. That imo is 7 sure losses with 5 left. A couple of the current ooc teams can imo beat U.K. so a 5 win season would be the best they could do, more probable a 3, maybe 4 win season.

I realize that I went on way too long and probably not making much sense :D. Basically all I am saying is yes upgrade the schedule with BCS conference teams but try to get a couple of them at least possible wins.USF would be such a team.

Dang I sm tired, I had better leave for now, lol.

I beieve that you have to start somewhere in upgrading the schedule and USF is a possible win over a BCS conference school on your o.o.c.. Should U.K. schedule some powerhouse program, that would certainly look good for the s.o.s. but if you get humiiated by them I don't think it would help.

U.K. is in the best BCS conference team in the country, I don't think that anyone can argue that. Therefore the Cats schedule is already loaded with top tanked teams. I want to see an upgrade but an upgrade with the possibility of a win anyway. Playing mid level teams in a BCS conference imo would be stronger than the current o.o.c. schedule.

Years ago and way before a BCS, U.K. had Penn State and Va. Tech on the schedule every year for a while along with the SEC teams. Although not a top ranked team every year the Cats were occasionally ranked somewhere. Those U.K. teams were far better than the Cats are now or have been in the last several years.

Imagine this years Cats playing UF.UG,UT,USC, LSU along with the couple of other conference teams and then adding VT and Penn State on that same schedule(plus some years U.K. has Bama and/or Auburn). Now add Penn State and VT ( or equivalent teams) on the schedule. That imo is 7 sure losses with 5 left. A couple of the current ooc teams can imo beat U.K. so a 5 win season would be the best they could do, more probable a 3, maybe 4 win season.

I realize that I went on way too long and probably not making much sense :D. Basically all I am saying is yes upgrade the schedule with BCS conference teams but try to get a couple of them at least possible wins.USF would be such a team.

Dang I sm tired, I had better leave for now, lol.

I guess I could see that. I just never have been for adding a team from a power conference just for the heck of it. I just don't see what UK gains being anywhere near the risk of what they would lose. If there was some type of big playoff system I would be all for it but in a world where wins are everything I just couldn't justify it in my mind.

I guess I could see that. I just never have been for adding a team from a power conference just for the heck of it. I just don't see what UK gains being anywhere near the risk of what they would lose. If there was some type of big playoff system I would be all for it but in a world where wins are everything I just couldn't justify it in my mind.

CCC, you could be right. That was jmo, that and a dollar will buy a cup of coffee at McDomalds. lol