Any news on a new Covington Catholic's head coach?

To point #2: Thank you for re-emphasizing one of my points for me. I believe I said, "Being close to Cincinnati, its talent pool, and the area's programs could be a blessing or a curse." From your point of view it would be a curse because you seemingly imply that the 'blue chippers' would rather play in Ohio. Now, as for it being a blessing, (and knowing I could care less whether the kids spent their entire school years in a specific school system), let me remind you that two of the past three 9th region champions have featured key players from across the river. It's not a big deal, people move.

I know Newport had the one player that came from Cincinnati. He is the only player I can recall crossing the river from Ohio to N. Ky. to play basketball. It just doesn't happen. I think everyone in Ohio considers Cincinnati basketball and teams to be better than Ky. so why would they want to come over here? If Ohio didn't have the rule that out of state residents aren't eligible to play sports, there would be players leaving N. Ky. to go play in Ohio IMO.

Who is the other team/player you are referring to? I don't remember anyone from Dixie being from Ohio. I will guess then that you are referring to Holmes? If you are speaking of the Johnson twins, they are not Ohio players. They grew up in Covington and attended Covington schools. Yes, they went to Cincinnati for one year but came right back to Covington. I don't consider them Ohio players or transfer players at all. Is there someone else I am missing?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty a lot of different places. Am I really supposed to believe a Freshman coach from Moeller is the most qualified and best candiate they have?
As I mentioned to Clyde in a private message last week, I heard that the Moeller coach was looking at the CCH job and that he would be a very good hire, this coming from people at Moe! Plus, I hear people at CCH are hoping it is this guy, including players.

I don't get the whole "we must hire a person who has head coaching experience" thinking. All coached must start somewhere, some are also happy where they are and don't want to leave, some then think it's time to move up to a head coach, when int he past they just didn't want to. Plus, if a former head coach is looking for another job, at this level, why are they even looking for a job?

Give me some examples of coaches that you think would apply. Do you think there's something special or magical about CCH that would cause the majority of top coaches to take a pay cut and impact their pension?

I would think the coach of every Catholic High School within 50 miles would at the very least hear what CCH has to offer and I would think some from a lot farther than that would do the same. I don't think it's magical, but it is an excellent job. I would think some public school coaches that have wives with good jobs would look too b/c you can win big there with more consistency than anywhere else in the region other than Holmes.

I would think the coach of every Catholic High School within 50 miles would at the very least hear what CCH has to offer and I would think some from a lot farther than that would do the same. I don't think it's magical, but it is an excellent job. I would think some public school coaches that have wives with good jobs would look too b/c you can win big there with more consistency than anywhere else in the region other than Holmes.
I agree it is a good job, but as has been mentioend in the past is the $$$. I know of one coach who didn't want to leave his school, the "family" at the school, so you run into that as well.

On another note, When CCH built their new school a few years ago, I thought I heard that the area almost due south of the current gym would be the place they would build a new one. If CCH could build a gym like at LexCath, I see is as being a HUGE plus!

Heard some scuttlebutt at the gym (and what better place is there to pick up solid information???) that Ryan Schrand is in the mix. Does anyone know if Ryan is interested in the position and if so, whether he is a finalist?

From my understanding there was probably interest on his part but it was not reciprocated.

Here's where I see fault in your thinking. I doubt there are many Catholic school teachers who do not have a working spouse. So for a guy from Lexington or Louisville or Dayton to pick up and move his family for a gig that doesn't pay a lot might be a challenge.

Your public school guy with the wife with a good job would be a good example of someone who can afford to take a cut.

I agree it is a good job, but as has been mentioend in the past is the $$$. I know of one coach who didn't want to leave his school, the "family" at the school, so you run into that as well.

On another note, When CCH built their new school a few years ago, I thought I heard that the area almost due south of the current gym would be the place they would build a new one. If CCH could build a gym like at LexCath, I see is as being a HUGE plus!

There was a new gym in the plans. I don't think that is the case any longer.

During all my years of dealing with school administrators when it comes to hiring, firing coaches and teachers I have learned that they are a lot like used car salesmen. They blow smoke up your tail pipe! Bigger the sale(job) the more smoke! Out of all the coaches who have applied their is one logical choice and he is going to be bypassed for someone with far less experience or success, too bad for CCH and their fans, student athletes, etc.

As I mentioned to Clyde in a private message last week, I heard that the Moeller coach was looking at the CCH job and that he would be a very good hire, this coming from people at Moe! Plus, I hear people at CCH are hoping it is this guy, including players.

I don't get the whole "we must hire a person who has head coaching experience" thinking. All coached must start somewhere, some are also happy where they are and don't want to leave, some then think it's time to move up to a head coach, when int he past they just didn't want to. Plus, if a former head coach is looking for another job, at this level, why are they even looking for a job?

For some jobs head coaching experience is either a must or the job is good enough that there will applicants with winning head coaching experience. CCH is one of those jobs. I don't see why they would need to risk hiring someone without varsity head coaching experience.

Here's where I see fault in your thinking. I doubt there are many Catholic school teachers who do not have a working spouse. So for a guy from Lexington or Louisville or Dayton to pick up and move his family for a gig that doesn't pay a lot might be a challenge.

Your public school guy with the wife with a good job would be a good example of someone who can afford to take a cut.

It would be a challenge, but you can win and win big there.

What about CCH graduates? There have to be some from the last 20 years that are in coaching that want that job.

During all my years of dealing with school administrators when it comes to hiring, firing coaches and teachers I have learned that they are a lot like used car salesmen. They blow smoke up your tail pipe! Bigger the sale(job) the more smoke! Out of all the coaches who have applied their is one logical choice and he is going to be bypassed for someone with far less experience or success, too bad for CCH and their fans, student athletes, etc.

Who are you referring to?

For some jobs head coaching experience is either a must or the job is good enough that there will applicants with winning head coaching experience. CCH is one of those jobs. I don't see why they would need to risk hiring someone without varsity head coaching experience.

My thoughts exactly. I would have lost money that CCH would ever hire a 31 year old Freshman coach as a head coach unless he was on the staff and he was the "coach in waiting".

I just don't understand how they could not hire Rick Shumate assuming he has interest. I think Shumate has done an exemplary job at BW and would be a great fit.

Of the candidates mentioned, I don't see anyone better. CCH would be getting a very good coach if they got Shumate.