Republican Nominee Pool

Clyde

I didn't really know a whole lot about Gov. Christie until this thread. After watching that clip, I tried to look up a few more things on him...he intrigues me. I like how real he seems.

At this point (especially if Christie isn't running) my vote would probably go to Romney...although I'll admit I'm not currently as informed as I should be.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just the way the process is on both sides. It's not unique to the republicans. McCain was moderate by any measures, in fact much more moderate in his voting history than anything the dems put out that year. He was in a lose lose situation. It didn't matter who the republicans put up in 2008 they were not going to win.

I can agree with the Palin selection as not moderate, but outside of that I would have to say that McCain has been very moderate over the years. Do you disagree with that?

I would agree with both of you on McCain. He is probably the most moderate Republican nominee in many years. But he brought on Palin to try and appease the radical right and threw the election away. Although 75center is probably right that no Republican had a chance to win that election after 8 years of Bush.

The fatigue factor is huge. It happened with both Clinton and Bush and it will happen with Obama. He will be strong in 2012 even if the economy stays where it's at. It would take a better candidate than I see at this point to unseat him. If Obama does win then I don't see any way the D's keep it in 2016 no matter who the R's run. This country has too many issues that are going to continue to remain unresolved, leaving the party that holds the presidency in a precarious position. That's why I always have to smile when I hear people talk about their party holding the presidency for 16 years. Isn't going to happen. 12 is rare.

• 3 weeks later...

Speculation is that Gov Daniels is ready to run but it's upto his wife. Apparently he is concerned with having to deal with the questions that will surely be asked about his problematic marriage. His wife took the 4 kids and went to CA in '93 and married some other guy. She came back a few years later.