Republican Nominee Pool

Clyde

And that is exactly why he will not be the Republican nominee. :D Seriously, that is the catch 22 right now on the Republican side. The right wingers have so much clout in the primary process that it is difficult for a moderate nominee to win.

Been hearing that for both parties for years yet the more moderate nominees for both sides continue to get the presidential nomination.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Hype going into halfway point of 2011, just give it Obama why don't ya?

Obama will most likely win by default. Any solid candidate would have a pretty good shot. People like Michelle Bachmann do nothing but put a smile on his face.

^I think I would cast a vote for Obama before Huckabee. That guy is nothing more than a religious fanatic.
I would 100% without a doubt cast a vote for Obama before Huckabee. Running Huckabee would be absolute suicide for the GOP, I don't think he'd garner one moderate or 3rd party vote. Of course, he'd probably win Kentucky in a landslide.

In all likelihood I'll be voting 3rd party.

Christie completely intrigues me, but I don't think he would be elected. Not because of his politics, but because of his demeanor. I don't have a problem with it, I actually find it "real". But, I highly doubt that most would appreciate it as much as I do. :lol:

I'm with you. If there was ever a guy who can "win the press conference" it's him.

Now I'm intrigued. Can you tell me some more about him? I honestly don't know who he is, but I have slacked off on following national politics.

I would 100% without a doubt cast a vote for Obama before Huckabee. Running Huckabee would be absolute suicide for the GOP, I don't think he'd garner one moderate or 3rd party vote. Of course, he'd probably win Kentucky in a landslide.

It could turn out that way, but according to Real Clear Politics cumulative polling, Huckabee matches up better with Obama than any other Republican right now.

Been hearing that for both parties for years yet the more moderate nominees for both sides continue to get the presidential nomination.

They may seem moderate to right wing Republicans but during the primary process the more moderate R's take right wing stances to win primary votes. They then carry that with them into the general election and it works against them. McCain may seem moderate to a radical right winger but he didn't look like a moderate to the moderate voters, especially when he puts Palin on the ticket with him which IMO was a sell out to get the radical right's support.

They may seem moderate to right wing Republicans but during the primary process the more moderate R's take right wing stances to win primary votes. They then carry that with them into the general election and it works against them. McCain may seem moderate to a radical right winger but he didn't look like a moderate to the moderate voters, especially when he puts Palin on the ticket with him which IMO was a sell out to get the radical right's support.

That's just the way the process is on both sides. It's not unique to the republicans. McCain was moderate by any measures, in fact much more moderate in his voting history than anything the dems put out that year. He was in a lose lose situation. It didn't matter who the republicans put up in 2008 they were not going to win.

I can agree with the Palin selection as not moderate, but outside of that I would have to say that McCain has been very moderate over the years. Do you disagree with that?

I can agree with the Palin selection as not moderate, but outside of that I would have to say that McCain has been very moderate over the years. Do you disagree with that?
Well, he definitely went to the right for the 2008 presidential campaign and his Senate primary in 2010.

Well, he definitely went to the right for the 2008 presidential campaign and his Senate primary in 2010.

I can absolutely agree with that. I am just saying that over the years prior to the 2008 primaries, I would consider McCain a moderate (based on his voting record which is what should be considered when categorizing a candidate imo). Would you consider anyone else in the 2008 primary (on either side) more moderate than McCain other than maybe Giuliani (sp?)?

Who excites you in the Republican nominee pool for the POTUS? Mitt formed an exploratory committee. Newt did something similar. Gov Pawlenty is a candidate.

The 3 yahoos of Bachmann, Palin, and Trump are nothing but a circus sideshow.

My guess is we'll hear that Huckabee is interested.

Bobby Jindal?

Who excites us? Who is intriguing?

Bobby Jindal is good. But not Constitutionally eligible. Parents were not naturalized US citizens before he was born.