Koran burning pastor

Everything you said is true HT. However here is my beef with this pastor, or Robertson, or the late Falwell or so many of the media mogul Pastors.

They don't realize that these inflammatory media events put missionaries in danger who are overseas. Missionaries who don't make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, or worry about media coverage, or even worry about "Making a point." Missionaries who put their calling to serve others and share Christ in their ministry overseas as paramount over everything else. That's what makes me :madman:.

It's easy to burn a Koran, preach against the violence of Islam and call Mohammad a pedophile from the safety of these shores but they have indirectly unleashed a malestrom of problems on simple missionaries on other shores. :irked:

Those are great points. These types need to be held accountable somehow.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mountain Ref has found a new worship home....

hahaha, but I do not agree with what the preacher did. I wouldn't destroy anyones bible, it is dumb and ignorant. Out of respect for others for one reason, whether you believe it or not. It is not right.

Well said, Hatz. Yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theatre is a crime. Isn't that what this "pastor" did?

No, not really. Yelling fire in a crowded theater is a crime because it could create a mass panic and/or a mob out of fear. Burning the Quran may have angered people to take stupid actions but that is not the same as mass panic.

No, not really. Yelling fire in a crowded theater is a crime because it could create a mass panic and/or a mob out of fear. Burning the Quran may have angered people to take stupid actions but that is not the same as mass panic.

Stated well from the safety of these shores.

In no way do I endorse the burning of the Koran (or any book for that matter.) Terry Jones is a feeble, agenda driven boob acting to selfishly promote his own self-interests.

That being said, I am genuinely at a loss as to how the actions of murderous monsters brutally assassinating innocent people that had absolutely nothing to do with barbecuing a supposed “Book of Peace” half a world away can be blamed on anyone other than the fiends doing the killing.

We’re led to believe that these faithful practitioners of a “religion of peace” had no control over their reactions and cannot be held accountable for them.

Is it truly our responsibility to ensure the Islamic world behaves in a civilized manner?

Are they nothing more than irresponsible children?

This is absurd.

The Muslims that have to date killed 25 people in Afghanistan and Pakistan – not one of which have ever burned a Koran, or interacted with anyone who did – are murderers.

Tyranny is tyranny, whether political, military, religious or otherwise.

This whole episode illustrates as well as any the weight of our responsibility to endure speech we may find offensive without responding violently, and to remain a bastion for freedom of expression as a safeguard against tyranny in the world.

There is no goodness here. Those rioting or murdering or pillaging -- whatever you want to call it -- are representative of a dangerous brand of extremism that must be vigilantly guarded against. As for the "pastor," he should be ashamed of himself. This is the United States of America... we don't burn books... period.

In no way do I endorse the burning of the Koran (or any book for that matter.) Terry Jones is a feeble, agenda driven boob acting to selfishly promote his own self-interests.

That being said, I am genuinely at a loss as to how the actions of murderous monsters brutally assassinating innocent people that had absolutely nothing to do with barbecuing a supposed “Book of Peace” half a world away can be blamed on anyone other than the fiends doing the killing.

We’re led to believe that these faithful practitioners of a “religion of peace” had no control over their reactions and cannot be held accountable for them.

Is it truly our responsibility to ensure the Islamic world behaves in a civilized manner?

This is absurd.

The Muslims that have to date killed 25 people in Afghanistan and Pakistan – not one of which have ever burned a Koran, or interacted with anyone who did – are murderers.

This whole episode illustrates as well as any the weight of our responsibility to endure speech we may find offensive without responding violently, and to remain a bastion for freedom of expression as a safeguard against tyranny in the world.

I actually agree with this. Muslims should NOT act this way. It's lunacy. But, right or wrong, the pastor knew what was going to happen if he burned Qurans. So, in my eyes, he does have blood on his hands for it.

This is absurd.

I'm not looking for blame. I'm looking for what Christ would do. I don't think some of our more boisterious and media mogul church leaders are.

The reason they aren't is because they have never been in the line of fire in hostile countries where you are a missionary and live with the possibility of danger. It is dangerous enough for some of them, difficult enough to get some culturally conditioned people to listen to the message of Christ without someone creating a media circus that impedes that mission.

That's what gets me ticked off. It's happened before. I recall a similar issue in Pakistan I think it was in the 90's and a Missionary and son were killed in an attack on their vehicle because of something one of the "talking heads of faith" had stated on CNN or something. Talk to some missionaries and hear their stories and they will tell you the same thing.

Stated well from the safety of these shores.

Where I am at has absolutely nothing to do with my comment.

Unless you are refering to the fact that I live in the greatest country in the world. A country that I have fought for and defended. And, while I do not agree with the idiot who burned the Quran. I would fight to the death to defend his right, your right, and my right to do it.

The people who commited the murders are the murders.

Unless you are refering to the fact that I live in the greatest country in the world. A country that I have fought for and defended. And, while I do not agree with the idiot who burned the Quran. I would fight to the death to defend his right, your right, and my right to do it.

He was told that if he burned the Quran, people would die. He did it anyway and people did die. He knew the ramifications- right or wrong. Is he blameless still?

Again, we are speaking of apples and oranges.

I am speaking from the the Christian missional perspective of my Lord's kingdom.

You are talking about rights granted by a government.

Two entirely different things.

He was told that if he burned the Quran, people would die. He did it anyway and people did die. He knew the ramifications- right or wrong. Is he blameless still?

Yes he has partial blame but who in your opinion should be blamed more so? The pastor or the radicals that did the killing because they did not like the fact that it was burned?

Yes he has partial blame but who in your opinion should be blamed more so? The pastor or the radicals that did the killing because they did not like the fact that it was burned?

Like I said before, the Muslims who do this are murderers and lunatics. But the pastor has blood on his hands for it. I'm not sure how he sleeps at night.

Why does it have to be a % of blame affixed? Aren't both as guilty?

The insidious barbarians who perpetrated this act of violence on people who weren't even the real reason for their hostility and anger, they are definitely to blame.

But what about the one who chose to make this a media event despite pleas from others (especially in the Christian community) to not do this thing? He is likewise to blame or the above doesn't happen that day, at that moment for that event.

If the pastor of this event wanted to burn a Koran out of respect for his Judeo-Christian God, why not within the walls of his church without the cameras on? Why not in the back yard of his house without film rolling?

Why? Because IMO it wasn't to honor the "one true God" but it was to honor himself and his own inflated sense of self-worth.