NAIA National Championship: Pikeville College 83 Mountain State 76 (OT)

UKYBBALL

Article from the Lexington Hearld:

Setty, a mop-haired, 6-9 sophomore, rained in seven of 12 three-point shots in topping his career-best of 21 points, which he attained twice in this tournament. Little wonder he was voted the tournament’s Most Valuable Player as unseeded Pikeville (30-7) completed a remarkable run to the championship, beating five teams seeded in the top nine, including third-seeded Mountain State, 33-3.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/03/23/1681401/settys-32-points-17-rebounds-lead.html#ixzz1HPwEC6xf

801NAIA_Pikeville_Mountain_State_Basketball.sff.aurora_standalone.prod_affiliate.79.jpg

Pikeville (Ky.) guard Trevor Setty, front, grabs a rebound against Mountain State (W.Va.) center David Nyarsuk during the first half of the NAIA Division I college basketball tournament championship game Tuesday, March 22, 2011, in Kansas City, Mo. ED ZURGA — AP Photo

Way to go, Trevor!

I talked to his dad at the 10th Region tourney. He as much as predicted this; said to look for Trevor to come out of his shell real soon.:thumb:

If it couldn't have been Georgetown I'm glad it was Pikeville.

Congrats to Pikeville and coach Wells. I wish that I could have gotten the t.v.broadcast. Kentucky has some excellent small school/NAIA basketball programs and always have more than one team contending for a NC.

Kelly Wells has been a winning/championship caliber coach wherever he has been. Everyone knows what he did at Mason Co. and he also had some excellent teams at Rowan Co. when he was there.

btw GS......Great pic.

Didn't Setty attend or plan to attend OK St at one point?

He planned to walk on at Oklahoma State, but ultimately did not. Think he may have played at Georgetown for a bit, but don't remember for sure.

I remember seeing him play in high school and thinking he had the potential to be a great player and wondering where he'd end up going to school. Glad to see that he's here in Pikeville. We couldn't be more proud of the team and what they've accomplished.

My only problem is that Cooksey wasn't able to assert himself as an impact player in this game, and ultimately fouled out in the final minutes. I hate seeing any senior player foul out of their final game. Thankfully, the team was able to get it done without him and get him a championship. Though he was not able to accomplish much in last night's game, there is no denying the value that Vance has had to the team.