• Mississippi State
    • South Carolina
    • Tennessee
    • Vanderbilt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for the fact that UK beats those two teams 7-8 out of 10 if the games are on neutral floors....Couldn't ask for a better draw if you're UK.

Ya but these games won't be about the past, they will be about the present. And presently the two lineups that Ole Miss and Alabama put on the floor are 2-0 against UK. What happened in the SEC tourney's in the 80's and 90's isn't really relevant to the games at hand in my opinion.

I took UKMF's post to mean that IF this years' teams met 10 times THIS year, UK would beat them 7-8 times.

And I would agree with that assessment.

Huh? Who said anything about the 80's or 90's?

You said UK beats those teams 7-8 out of 10 times, I assumed you were talking historically. But either way there is nothing to back that statement up. All we have to go on are the games played which is opponents 2 UK 0. I just get sick of lack of respect shown for the SEC West and UK's clear superiority. Sure UK could win these games and should be favored over Ole Miss. However, with the road being UK's problem Ole Miss would have momentum of a win and advantage of already having played a game on the floor when UK hasn't when they meet. Then you would play Alabama and there is no way UK consider it an easy game when they lost the only head to head meeting and Alabama finished with a much better conference record. It's not that UK can't win these games but to say they are heads on favorites and would beat these teams 7 out of 8 times is just stretching and not giving the other teams the respect they've earned this year. I would also bet Calipari doesn't look at this draw and consider it an easy draw or the best draw of any team.

I just get sick of lack of respect shown for the SEC West and UK's clear superiority.

Its because the SEC West is BAD. All the east teams except South Carolina have a higher RPI than EVERY SEC West team. And its not close. E5 - Georgia has an RPI of 39. W1 - Alabama has an RPI of 80 (W2 - Ole Miss is actually a spot ahead of them at 79).

The disrespect is because the West has been atrocious. Only 2 of the 6 West teams have a winning conference record, and they all have at least 10 losses overall.

Don't get so bent out of shape. You're correct that UK lost to Bama and Ole Miss. But they were both extremely close games on the road. UK also seems to be coming around a little lately and will have a strong fan backing in Atlanta.

Its because the SEC West is BAD. All the east teams except South Carolina have a higher RPI than EVERY SEC West team. And its not close. E5 - Georgia has an RPI of 39. W1 - Alabama has an RPI of 80 (W2 - Ole Miss is actually a spot ahead of them at 79).

The disrespect is because the West has been atrocious. Only 2 of the 6 West teams have a winning conference record, and they all have at least 10 losses overall.

Don't get so bent out of shape. You're correct that UK lost to Bama and Ole Miss. But they were both extremely close games on the road. UK also seems to be coming around a little lately and will have a strong fan backing in Atlanta.

A lot of that RPI is East teams padding other East teams though. Bama is 4-2 against the East this year. The West is remarkably worse than the East at the bottom with Auburn and LSU. But throw those two teams out and the West has been pretty competitive against the east this year. Florida lost to Bama and Miss. State, Vandy lost to Arkansas, Tenn lost to Miss State and Bama, Kentucky lost to Bama and Ole Miss. Georgia lost to Bama. I mean it's not like the East just came over and cleaned the West's clock like what happened last year.

A lot of that RPI is East teams padding other East teams though. Bama is 4-2 against the East this year. The West is remarkably worse than the East at the bottom with Auburn and LSU. But throw those two teams out and the West has been pretty competitive against the east this year. Florida lost to Bama and Miss. State, Vandy lost to Arkansas, Tenn lost to Miss State and Bama, Kentucky lost to Bama and Ole Miss. Georgia lost to Bama. I mean it's not like the East just came over and cleaned the West's clock like what happened last year.

Florida beat Bama by 27 last week. The SEC in general is not that good. The East is solid. The SEC West makes it as bad as it is. It is not a UK/East conspiracy unless everyone in America is in on it.

You said UK beats those teams 7-8 out of 10 times, I assumed you were talking historically. But either way there is nothing to back that statement up. All we have to go on are the games played which is opponents 2 UK 0. I just get sick of lack of respect shown for the SEC West and UK's clear superiority. Sure UK could win these games and should be favored over Ole Miss. However, with the road being UK's problem Ole Miss would have momentum of a win and advantage of already having played a game on the floor when UK hasn't when they meet. Then you would play Alabama and there is no way UK consider it an easy game when they lost the only head to head meeting and Alabama finished with a much better conference record. It's not that UK can't win these games but to say they are heads on favorites and would beat these teams 7 out of 8 times is just stretching and not giving the other teams the respect they've earned this year. I would also bet Calipari doesn't look at this draw and consider it an easy draw or the best draw of any team.

I don't give the SEC West teams a lick of respect, because they don't deserve it. They're all flat out bad teams. Alabama is average, and if this wasn't such a down year for basketball in general, wouldn't even be in the bubble discussion. UK will beat both those teams if they play them. Georgia would be a game that could go either way.

A few thoughts...

First, I'd hesitate to say 12-4 is a much better conference record than 10-6. Second, the fact that Alabama is 12-4 in the conference and considered a bubble team should tell you something about how the SEC West is perceived everywhere, not just in Kentucky. Third, as noted, all of those losses were on the road and all could have been won by UK with a timely play. It's hardly a stretch or a lack of respect to expect those games to be victories on a neutral court with a pro-UK crowd.

@ Georgia - The 'Dawgs shot less than 70% from the FT line this season. In their win against UK, they hit 30-34 (88.2%).

@ Alabama - The Tide shot less than 30% from long range this season. In their win against UK, they hit 7-14 (50%).

@ Ole Miss - Warren hits a 23-footer with hardly any time remaining.

@ Florida - The Gators go 18-22 (81.8%) from the line vs. their season average of 66.9%.

@ Vandy - The Commodores are certainly a good shooting team, but at home against UK they hit 11 of 20 from long range and 20 of 23 from the FT line.

@ Arkansas - I still don't know how UK managed to lose this game. :idunno:

Nearly all of those opponents did something significantly better than normal, while UK generally couldn't get out of their own way late in the games, in those losses. They're certainly capable of doing it again and maybe UK will struggle just as much down the stretch at a neutral site.

To be honest, Vandy is the team I'd least like to meet again, and fortunately they're in the opposite bracket. There's no doubt another matchup against Alabama or Georgia, especially with those teams trying to secure tournament berths, should be a close game. But, I'll admit, I'd be really surprised if Ole Miss could beat UK again.

A lot of that RPI is East teams padding other East teams though.

So lets go with KenPom then:

You get 4 west teams above South Carolina and Bama manages to sneak past UT and UGA as well.

It comes out: Kentucky, Florida, Vandy, Bama, UT, UGA, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss St , South Carolina, Auburn, LSU

Don't like that one? How about Sagarin: Kentucky, Florida, Vandy, UGA, UT, Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, South Carolina, Miss St, LSU, Auburn

I agree with 5Wide's assessment. I think UK wins it and like UKMF has been saying, I just think on a neutral court UK is the best team in the SEC. As has been stated....can they win 3 games in 3 days with 6 people? Stamina and dead legs may be what ultimately does them in.

I agree with 5Wide's assessment. I think UK wins it and like UKMF has been saying, I just think on a neutral court UK is the best team in the SEC. As has been stated....can they win 3 games in 3 days with 6 people? Stamina and dead legs may be what ultimately does them in.

Maui is the closest test case we have and we all know how that ended... Different circumstances and maturation since November, obviously.