Public School Transportation

HIGHLANDS GUY

Today on Cincinnati.com there is an article that Lakota schools (a Cincy suburb) stop providing transporation to 6,400 kids who live within 1 mile radius of the school. Next year the district expands the cuts to a two (2) mile radius, which will impact 9,000.

My question would be, why were they providing transporation to kids who lived that close in the first place?

If you make public education too easy it really devalues the whole benefit. We make it way too easy.

Today on Cincinnati.com there is an article that Lakota schools (a Cincy suburb) stop providing transporation to 6,400 kids who live within 1 mile radius of the school. Next year the district expands the cuts to a two (2) mile radius, which will impact 9,000.

My question would be, why were they providing transporation to kids who lived that close in the first place?

If you make public education too easy it really devalues the whole benefit. We make it way too easy.

How does giving a bus ride to a kid who lives a mile from school devalue the education?

Anything that requires effort on my part, I tend to value more. I think requiring effort on the part of kids and parents is more positive than negative.

In general I will agree regarding effort. I just don't see how it applies here. The kids are just going to end up getting a ride. How is their education enhanced?

In general I will agree regarding effort. I just don't see how it applies here. The kids are just going to end up getting a ride. How is their education enhanced?

The real purpose of my initial post was to ask, why do we provide transportation for kids who live within one mile of school. We could argue whether the effort required to get yourself/your kids to school increases engagement, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me that unless there are some really extenuating factors that providing transportation for kids who live a mile from school is a good use of tax payer money for strapped school districts. Lakota schools agree with me, I just wonder why it took so long. :D

The real purpose of my initial post was to ask, why do we provide transportation for kids who live within one mile of school. We could argue whether the effort required to get yourself/your kids to school increases engagement, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me that unless there are some really extenuating factors that providing transportation for kids who live a mile from school is a good use of tax payer money for strapped school districts. Lakota schools agree with me, I just wonder why it took so long. :D

In an era of tight budgets I can certainly see and agree with the "one-milers" having to get to school on their own. Did the story say how much it would save?

In an era of tight budgets I can certainly see and agree with the "one-milers" having to get to school on their own. Did the story say how much it would save?

The amount that this specific initiative was not disclosed, only that it was apart of $12 million plus in cuts

A bus actually gets them to school... If it was on me to walk every day when I was in school, I can assure you that I would've been anywhere but there. :lol:

Exactly. I think the main reason to do it is to ensure kids actually show up to school. Hot Shot's idyllic thought that the effort would make the kids appreciate school more is just that: idyllic, and couched in a faulty mindset that Americans somehow value education.

Exactly. I think the main reason to do it is to ensure kids actually show up to school. Hot Shot's idyllic thought that the effort would make the kids appreciate school more is just that: idyllic, and couched in a faulty mindset that Americans somehow value education.

Jim in case you missed it:

The purpose of starting the thread was to ask, why do we provide transportation for kids who live within one mile of school?

Do you really think that is a good idea?

Exactly. I think the main reason to do it is to ensure kids actually show up to school..

If a kid is intent on not going to school the fact that the bus drops him/her off on school property doesn't ensure he/she walks through the doors.

If there was a direct link between school bus transportation and attendance then we'd ban kids from driving themselves.

What are the laws in KY and Ohio governing bus transportation? How far can the radius go out from the school until the district is forced to provide transportation? I thought I read that Lakota (OH) is extending it to 2 miles next year and that affects over 9,000 kids. Sounds like huge savings to me.

I live in a district that provides bus service only to special needs students. In independent districts in neighboring cities, kids ride buses down the street.