Boone County 57 Newport Catholic Central 55

Pitts, Downs, and Stanley are all good guards. Popp, Gabbard, and Schultze were good guards on the previous team.

I don't think Boone has had enough talent to win a state championship. District and regional championships would be the first goal. They have one district championship in the last 5-6 years.

I think the guards listed are all solid players. However, I think Gabbard is a step above this group. I don't think Pitts is ready for Varsity, needs to develop more at the JV level. Coach M has had them in the 9th Region Tournament and performed well. That's what counts.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am more impressed with a coach who can take a team with little talent and make a run at it. Coaching a team with talent is easy IMO. Coach M has had the talent for the years he has been there. As wildcatfan stated, there is a dropoff after this year. I would like to see how Coach M handles that. If he can still get the wins with a less talented group, then I will be impressed and consider him a great game coach.

Now, I have been around basketball for a long time and have been around many coaches and the ones I consider great coaches are the ones who not only get it done on the court, but also have those certain intangibles that a coach needs to have a successful program. A great coach is going to be a good motivator, is going to be a great role model for their athletes, is going to put teaching life lessons above everything else, is going to have the respect of the players and other coaches, is going to tutor students who need extra academic help, is going to open the gym when a player wants to work on his game, is going to work with the feeder schools to develop players, is going to help players get to the next level if that is what they want, etc. This is not a complete list, but an example of things a great coach does to have a successful program. Does Coach M fit the bill?

Have we gotten an answer to this statement? One of the biggest keys should be working with your feeder schools to make certain you have a solid pipeline of athletes streaming in with the skills needed to be succesfully at the HS level.

[/b]

Have we gotten an answer to this statement? One of the biggest keys should be working with your feeder schools to make certain you have a solid pipeline of athletes streaming in with the skills needed to be succesfully at the HS level.

Well, according to the majority of Coach M's detractors, he has not had a problem in this area. :idunno:

and it has been stated this will drop off next year?

As a coach in a public school system, it's very difficult to have a steady pipeline of top level talent. I think if you have a good class/group every 3-4 years, you are doing well. I believe the 8th grade group at Ockerman is very talented and they are headed to Boone. I believe Boone will not be that bad next year. They will have Downs, Stanley and McQueary returning, correct? Pretty good bunch to build around.

This is the point I have been trying to make during this civil discussion. I think some people who have probably had kids play for Coach M have completely overestimated the abilities of the players who Coach M has had the pleasure of coaching. IMO, the best player he has had come through his system was Mike Gabbard. He was a kid who had a great handle and was a great PG who could run the team. He has coached some good solid players, but not superstars who were destined to win the state championship. As I stated previously, he coexisted with a great Holmes team who won a state title and he came within a missed layup of a great upset. The detractors of Coach M seem to have some sort of hidden agenda and I'm not sure why. Now someone is blaming him for changing his style to showcase his son. That is a ludicrous statement imo. Coaches are always looking at new ways to improve their teams. They attend clinics, collaborate with other head coaches, study film, etc……………Coach M is no different. I think he has a really good team this year, and will once again be playing in the 9th Region Tournament. He is not playing multiple guards due to his lack of depth at that position. I just think people need to take off their blinders and see his ability for what it is, a dedicated coach who is a tireless worker. Let's keep the talent level of his current and former players in proper perspective.

Didn't say Coach McQueary was trying to showcase his son. The statement was that Coach McQueary always used the same gameplan for years no matter what his players strength were. Now all of a sudden, his offensive and defensive styles have changed, completely.

[/b]

I do think this is another thing that should be focused on more. The girls coach at Boone appears to take a more active interest in the feeder schools, freshman team, etc. I think this can only help.

I do think this is another thing that should be focused on more. The girls coach at Boone appears to take a more active interest in the feeder schools, freshman team, etc. I think this can only help.

Not to get off of that track, and I think Nell is the best girls coach in the 9th Region, but that being said, she has had the "good fortune" to have had more transfers into her program than any other 9th region coach. Big time players like Bradley, Behrens, and Moss most recently. These were all solid varsity players prior to switching to Boone.

On Coach McQueery, I tend to agree with Roman Empire (and that doesn't happen often). I think he is an underrated coach who runs a good program. Some of the guards that were listed quit on their team down the stretch. I don't know the reason, but always thought Popp was a good spark off the bench, not enthralled with Schultze, but that is just my opinion. The 33rd is tough and if you look at the 9th Region the past few years, I think it would be hard to argue that Boone wasn't the second best team behind the Holmes Bulldogs (and their best group ever in their storied program.)

Agreed you have to have and generate interest at a young age. Presence and involvement is the best way to do this.

History, I have a Mr. Schloemer and a Mr. Beal on the phone for you.:D

I hear ya Clyde and those were two awesome players, but despite the controversy of 1978, they do not have the state championship banner that the 2009 group does. I can't see how one could put a group that didn't win it all over one that did, but that's just me.

Not to get off of that track, and I think Nell is the best girls coach in the 9th Region, but that being said, she has had the "good fortune" to have had more transfers into her program than any other 9th region coach. Big time players like Bradley, Behrens, and Moss most recently. These were all solid varsity players prior to switching to Boone.

This is true but she does have a presence in the feeder schools as well and a program for incoming freshman in the summers months.

I hear ya Clyde and those were two awesome players, but despite the controversy of 1978, they do not have the state championship banner that the 2009 group does. I can't see how one could put a group that didn't win it all over one that did, but that's just me.

Just messing with you. I knew what your rationale was although I would disagree with it.

I also note that curiously enough, Boone does not report any individual statistics this year like they have in the past and like most other teams do. What is the reasoning for that?

Not sure whay they aren't reported but players and parents have access. I can tell you that Trevan Brown is averaging a double/double - 21pts./ 11 rebounds per game, McQueary - 15pts. a game, Downs - 6 assists per game and Crabtree - 7 rebounds a game. I'm surprised Ryan Ernst doesn't have Trevan Brown in the "Big Man" discussion with Geisler and Thelan based off stats, Boone beating New Cath last week (Brown - 17pts. and Geisler - 16 pts.) and Trevan's proven ability against top state teams. Against, Eastern, the #1 team in the state, Trevan had 31 pts. and 15 rebounds, a team with (3) D1 signee's.