Boone County 57 Newport Catholic Central 55

First of all, show me a great coach that had bad talent. ALL great coaches at any level and any sport have had great players. They go hand in hand. Please tell me what talent is not being utilized. Are you at practice everyday? I have heard he is a great practice coach.

I am more impressed with a coach who can take a team with little talent and make a run at it. Coaching a team with talent is easy IMO. Coach M has had the talent for the years he has been there. As wildcatfan stated, there is a dropoff after this year. I would like to see how Coach M handles that. If he can still get the wins with a less talented group, then I will be impressed and consider him a great game coach.

Now, I have been around basketball for a long time and have been around many coaches and the ones I consider great coaches are the ones who not only get it done on the court, but also have those certain intangibles that a coach needs to have a successful program. A great coach is going to be a good motivator, is going to be a great role model for their athletes, is going to put teaching life lessons above everything else, is going to have the respect of the players and other coaches, is going to tutor students who need extra academic help, is going to open the gym when a player wants to work on his game, is going to work with the feeder schools to develop players, is going to help players get to the next level if that is what they want, etc. This is not a complete list, but an example of things a great coach does to have a successful program. Does Coach M fit the bill?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question was…………how many PLAYED beyond high school. Over the last few years, I only know of Gabbard, McFarland and Krohman. I am going to exclude Flannery because he transferred early on and did not graduate from BC. They got upset by Conner because only one player on that team could score and Jim Hicks from Conner put a blanket on Krohman and took him completely out of the game. You can talk about all the offers you want, but the bottom line is that there is an ocean of difference between talk and getting your college uniform. Also, I do not believe that Crabtree has college level talent regardless of his size. Lastly, I believe that of all the "ton" of talent that you claim how many play/played D1? I think you are being totally unfair to Coach Q and I'm not sure why.

Does not mater how many actually played college ball. We are talking about talent. I know for a fact all of those players had bona fide offers. Some of them chose not to play or go to school for various reasons. Playing at any level beyond high school takes a lot of talent. McFarland, Earls, and others on that team were capable scorers. Boone was one of the highest scoring teams in the state that year, and Krohman averaged about 15 per game.

I am more impressed with a coach who can take a team with little talent and make a run at it. Coaching a team with talent is easy IMO. Coach M has had the talent for the years he has been there. As wildcatfan stated, there is a dropoff after this year. I would like to see how Coach M handles that. If he can still get the wins with a less talented group, then I will be impressed and consider him a great game coach.

Now, I have been around basketball for a long time and have been around many coaches and the ones I consider great coaches are the ones who not only get it done on the court, but also have those certain intangibles that a coach needs to have a successful program. A great coach is going to be a good motivator, is going to be a great role model for their athletes, is going to put teaching life lessons above everything else, is going to have the respect of the players and other coaches, is going to tutor students who need extra academic help, is going to open the gym when a player wants to work on his game, is going to work with the feeder schools to develop players, is going to help players get to the next level if that is what they want, etc. This is not a complete list, but an example of things a great coach does to have a successful program. Does Coach M fit the bill?

Well said.

I think Coach M has done pretty good with the talent he has this year. Being able to continue to play well with the loss of Montgomery did impress me. I agree that the one thing that is missing is getting the bench better. I keep thinking about the guards last year. They ended the year with only one guard with much experience. I know you cannot predict things like that happening, but what if Stanley or Downs gets in foul trouble or gets injured right before districts? Against NCC, they really only went 6 deep and put the 7th player in for about 4 minutes when both Downs and Stanley had 3 fouls. I felt like that 7th player held his own and played well. Then in the next game vs. St. Henry, when the game was never really in question, this same player came in for mop-up minutes at the end of the game. They are going to need to get these players some real minutes if they are going to be successful down the stretch. If I am the opposing coach, knowing that they are short on guards and the back-ups do not have a ton of experience, I'm going to go after them and try to get them in foul trouble. I also agree that by getting these other players some varsity experience will help with next year as they graduate several seniors this year.

They got upset by Conner because only one player on that team could score and Jim Hicks from Conner put a blanket on Krohman and took him completely out of the game.

Earls averaged 14 points a game, McFarland 11-12, and Flannery about 9-10 that same year...

Does not mater how many actually played college ball. We are talking about talent. I know for a fact all of those players had bona fide offers. Some of them chose not to play or go to school for various reasons. Playing at any level beyond high school takes a lot of talent. McFarland, Earls, and others on that team were capable scorers. Boone was one of the highest scoring teams in the state that year, and Krohman averaged about 15 per game.

Could not disagree with this comment more. It absolutely matters. Tells me alot about the intangibles of a player besides just basketball skills. We can call it a case where we agree to disagree. I think Coach M is outstanding and you think he's awful. Afterall, that's what this forum is here for…….to express opinions. I have talked to former players of Coach M, and I have been told that he changed their lives for the better. He taught them lessons about life off of the court that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. He is man of high character.

The point was about talent level to play college ball--not non-basketball skills. I am not questioning Coach M's character. I have talked to several ex-players and heard comments from others, and they did not like playing for Coach M or did not share your opinion.

Could not disagree with this comment more. It absolutely matters. Tells me alot about the intangibles of a player besides just basketball skills. We can call it a case where we agree to disagree. I think Coach M is outstanding and you think he's awful. Afterall, that's what this forum is here for…….to express opinions. I have talked to former players of Coach M, and I have been told that he changed their lives for the better. He taught them lessons about life off of the court that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. He is man of high character.

Why does it matter if they played college ball? If they had talent they had talent period! What they choose to do with it is their choice.

You are taking wildcatfan's comment "Does not mater how many actually played college ball" out of context. He is saying this conversation has nothing to do with who played college ball. It was talking about TALENT.

Actually kids going on to the next level that have the talent to is every players and parents goal. From what I've seen, Coach M has not been very successful getting his players to that level, especially with the talent that he has had over the past several years. He never changed his coaching gameplan to maximize talent that he had. He always ran the same offense or defense no matter who he had playing. A good coach will do everything he can to help his players get to the next level, if they have the talent and grades to do so. From what posters put on this site, he has not done that with the talented players that have played for him.

Now all of a sudden that his son is playing, he uses a complete different gameplan that he has ever used since being at Boone Co. ie......

He very rarely played a zone defense, now that's all he plays.

He did not allow players to shoot the three unless the ball went to the post first, now players are allowed to shoot the three.

He utilized his bench a lot and played several players at the guard position, now he doesn't use his bench ............................

Funny how things change when the coaches sons are on the court! Now that gameplan has changed to suit the talent or weaknesses that his players have.

Roman Empire you are always the first one to get out there and defend Coach McQueary, don't see many others doing it, you say he is one of the best coaches in NKY? I've not seen many agree, most of the time you hear the exact opposite. I've seen many on here complaining about his coaching instead of praising him.

Where there is smoke there is fire! Take his last three years records out of his career record, and you will see the how good a coach he is. He walked into a myrid of talent over the past three years and has benifited from it.

I have never heard a previous player or parent of a previous player say they have experienced the "life changing" experiences you speak of. :rolleyes: I'm not questioning his character, I'm sure he a good person and I've not heard different. I just don't think he is one of the best coaches in NKY.

This is my opinion and observations...and as you say, this is what this forum is for.

If "parents complaining about coaches" was the yardstick used we'd have zero good coaches.

We see it on here. Current and former parents at Boone overestimating how good their son was.

I haven't seen many kids at Boone good enough to play college above the D3 level including on this year's team.

If "parents complaining about coaches" was the yardstick used we'd have zero good coaches.

We see it on here. Current and former parents at Boone overestimating how good their son was.

I haven't seen many kids at Boone good enough to play college above the D3 level including on this year's team.

So Mike Gabbard is listed on WKU's rooster for the fun of it? If I am not mistaken that is a D1 school!

Not just anyone can play D3 either. Both McFarlands and Gabbard played above D3. I think Listerman, Steiner, Booher, Hicks, Carr, and Faust are all better coaches in NKY and/or generally get more from less talent.

This is the point I have been trying to make during this civil discussion. I think some people who have probably had kids play for Coach M have completely overestimated the abilities of the players who Coach M has had the pleasure of coaching. IMO, the best player he has had come through his system was Mike Gabbard. He was a kid who had a great handle and was a great PG who could run the team. He has coached some good solid players, but not superstars who were destined to win the state championship. As I stated previously, he coexisted with a great Holmes team who won a state title and he came within a missed layup of a great upset. The detractors of Coach M seem to have some sort of hidden agenda and I'm not sure why. Now someone is blaming him for changing his style to showcase his son. That is a ludicrous statement imo. Coaches are always looking at new ways to improve their teams. They attend clinics, collaborate with other head coaches, study film, etc……………Coach M is no different. I think he has a really good team this year, and will once again be playing in the 9th Region Tournament. He is not playing multiple guards due to his lack of depth at that position. I just think people need to take off their blinders and see his ability for what it is, a dedicated coach who is a tireless worker. Let's keep the talent level of his current and former players in proper perspective.

This is the point I have been trying to make during this civil discussion. I think some people who have probably had kids play for Coach M have completely overestimated the abilities of the players who Coach M has had the pleasure of coaching. IMO, the best player he has had come through his system was Mike Gabbard. He was a kid who had a great handle and was a great PG who could run the team. He has coached some good solid players, but not superstars who were destined to win the state championship. As I stated previously, he coexisted with a great Holmes team who won a state title and he came within a missed layup of a great upset. The detractors of Coach M seem to have some sort of hidden agenda and I'm not sure why. Now someone is blaming him for changing his style to showcase his son. That is a ludicrous statement imo. Coaches are always looking at new ways to improve their teams. They attend clinics, collaborate with other head coaches, study film, etc……………Coach M is no different. I think he has a really good team this year, and will once again be playing in the 9th Region Tournament. He is not playing multiple guards due to his lack of depth at that position. I just think people need to take off their blinders and see his ability for what it is, a dedicated coach who is a tireless worker. Let's keep the talent level of his current and former players in proper perspective.

Pitts, Downs, and Stanley are all good guards. Popp, Gabbard, and Schultze were good guards on the previous team.

I don't think Boone has had enough talent to win a state championship. District and regional championships would be the first goal. They have one district championship in the last 5-6 years.

I agree with this. IMO Coach M has utilized the zone more this year to complement the players he has. Boone is big and not very quick. I think the zones that he uses have been effective. I do not think he changed his philosophy just to showcase his son.