Where Does It End?

Run To State

They have already been chased out of bars, offices and restaurants. Now, the city wants to ban smokers from outdoor public spaces like parks and beaches. The ban would affect some of the most crowded pedestrian spaces in the world, like Times Square.

It's easy to mock the proposed law in a place like Times Square where not too long ago a billboard for Camel cigarettes blew giant smoke rings into the air. The square is filled with car exhaust, food cart vapors and other strange smells. What harm could a few extra cigarettes do?

"Well, there's increasing evidence that you can be exposed to smoke outdoors in a way that's really harmful to your health," says New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Farley.

He says studies show that if you are within 3 feet of someone smoking outdoors, your exposure to secondhand smoke can be the same as when you are indoors. And though places like Times Square are choked with exhaust-spewing traffic, cigarettes are still worse.

"You know, we've done measurements and the levels of particulates, those are the particles that get in your lungs, are much higher from secondhand smoke than they are from car exhaust," Farley says. "So you can get much higher levels from sitting next to a smoker than being at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel."

I'm sorry, I'm not buying into the studies this guys mentioning here.

"I would like people to stop smoking," says Gail Brewer, a New York City Council member and sponsor of the anti-smoking bill. "I'm not going to say otherwise."
I'd like people like Gail to mind their own darn business, I'm not going to say otherwise.

Some non-smokers are never satisfied, restaurants and bars weren't enough, they demanded all indoor businesses be smoke free. "They can smoke outside" is what they constantly said. Now, it appears, they don't want them to be able to smoke outside. How long before New York, and eventually the rest of the country, tries to completely outlaw smoking everywhere including your own home? :idunno:

New Yorkers' Cigarette Breaks May Go Up In Smoke

You laugh, but it's true. If it weren't for the Virginia (and the Caribbean, for that matter) settlers cultivating tobacco almost right off the bat for export back to Europe and the cigar industry, our country would never have risen to the dominant position we now enjoy.

Frankly, I think it's pretty sad. Especially when you consider this country was founded on tobacco futures.

Not all of our founding history is pretty. I submit to you the legality of slavery and treatment of native americans. To say that something is important now simply because it WAS important leads up a slippery slope.

As a former smoker, I'm for as much clean air as I can get. I enjoy going in restaurants now and being able to breath. I try to avoid going to places out doors where there will be much tobacco smoke.

If a place of business wants to allow smokers, let them. It's called freedom. Those places that don't want smokers inside, let them. It's called freedom. I can make my on decision of whether I want to eat in a smoke free restaurant or a smoking resaurant.

I don't want to hear that it cost us all in health insurance. If the government would stay out of health care and those that smoke will have to pay more for their poor health because of their choice.

I'm sorry, I'm not buying into the studies this guys mentioning here.

I'd like people like Gail to mind their own darn business, I'm not going to say otherwise.

Some non-smokers are never satisfied, restaurants and bars weren't enough, they demanded all indoor businesses be smoke free. "They can smoke outside" is what they constantly said. Now, it appears, they don't want them to be able to smoke outside. How long before New York, and eventually the rest of the country, tries to completely outlaw smoking everywhere including your own home? :idunno:

New Yorkers' Cigarette Breaks May Go Up In Smoke

Why don't you buy the studies, out of curiosity?

Not all of our founding history is pretty. I submit to you the legality of slavery and treatment of native americans. To say that something is important now simply because it WAS important leads up a slippery slope.

As a former smoker, I'm for as much clean air as I can get. I enjoy going in restaurants now and being able to breath. I try to avoid going to places out doors where there will be much tobacco smoke.

I'm a former smoker too, but I don't hold the hardcore anti-smoking stance that some do. I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that my dad's ability to fix tobacco farmers' backs is what put food on our table. I can't draw the same parallels to slavery and native Americans because, at the end of the day, nobody forced anyone to smoke.

I'm a former smoker too, but I don't hold the hardcore anti-smoking stance that some do. I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that my dad's ability to fix tobacco farmers' backs is what put food on our table. I can't draw the same parallels to slavery and native Americans because, at the end of the day, nobody forced anyone to smoke.

That's a fair point. I should add two important facts. I grew up on my uncle's tobacco farm. I also lost that (favorite) uncle to lung cancer back in 2002.

I don't know where I actually stand on bans of this nature. Like I said, I just choose to avoid places where there will be a great deal of smoke outside. I am happy to be able to go in gas stations and restaurants and not have to deal with it, though.

I don't want to hear that it cost us all in health insurance. If the government would stay out of health care and those that smoke will have to pay more for their poor health because of their choice.

Don't we all pay for smoker's healthcare today?