If Ohio Div 1 football is so good year in and year out.....

leatherneck

Anyone discounting Highlands' win over St. X. last year is either a hater or not paying attenion. Cinti. St. X.'s only regular season losses last year were to Highlands and Cleveland St. Ignatius, who finished the year ranked #1 in Ohio. I said it before last season and I still say it today - that was the best Highlands team ever... yes better than the the Lorenzen/Smith team of 1999. And I say that because of the St. X. win. That 1999 team lost their Ohio GCL showdown to Elder. Last year's team won their GCL showdown over a very good St. X team. Facts are facts. The 2009 team gets my vote as best ever because of that St. X. win.
Actually, Smith and Lorenzen's Highlands team did not play Elder... their senior season was 1998, not 1999. That year (1998), HHS went undefeated and beat eventual 4A champ Male, but did not play any Ohio teams. Highlands then played Elder in 99 and 2000. In 1997, HHS lost to Moeller by one point, then went undefeated until the infamous playoff Mud Bowl loss to CCH.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that Cincy St. X had also defeated Colerain as well. At the time the HHS-St. X game was played, Cincy St. X's resume was arguably the most impressive in the nation, given that they were undefeated and had beaten Cincy Colerain, Ind. Cathedral, Lou. St. X and Lou. Trinity; plus, the Lou. St. X and Trinity games were fairly lopsided wins. The week after they lost to HHS, Cincy St. X took care of Elder. The losses to Iggy and Elder (in the playoffs) did take a bit away from the luster, IMO.

Yes a bit of the luster, but neither loss was a blow out loss and both were to pretty darn good football teams. Which is why I don't buy the "down X team" comments. That was a very good X team last year that beat some very good football teams. If X was down, then all of Oh D1 football was down last year and Oh D1 football isn't as good as claimed year in and year out (which I don't buy either).

To get back to LN's original question: I think the argument heard from across the river is often circular. Unless they happen to win a state title (like Elder did after losing to Trinity in 2002), any Ohio team is going to be called "down" by Ohioans if that team manages to lose to a Kentucky team during the year. It goes something like this: if Ohio team A loses a game to any Kentucky team during the year, then BY DEFINITION Ohio team A is down, or else they would not have lost the game in the first place!

The funny thing is even a lot of Elder fans have said that their 2002 squad was not all that great, even though they finished the year with only one early-season loss and were Ohio D-I champs!!!! I guess that loss to Kentucky's Trinity was just too much for them to handle, and admitting that Elder was a great team that year would have - GASP - given credit to KY prep football!!!

Yes a bit of the luster, but neither loss was a blow out loss and both were to pretty darn good football teams. Which is why I don't buy the "down X team" comments. That was a very good X team last year that beat some very good football teams. If X was down, then all of Oh D1 football was down last year and Oh D1 football isn't as good as claimed year in and year out (which I don't buy either).

These claims are a load of crap. X was an excellent Ohio football team last year. Doesn't X have one state championship throughout their history and Elder two? Being a good football team isn't measured the same way in Ohio because there is much more paridy between teams in every class. At least their has been since the Catholic schools decided that their students had to play on their own side of the river around greater Cincy.

Actually, Smith and Lorenzen's Highlands team did not play Elder... their senior season was 1998, not 1999. That year (1998), HHS went undefeated and beat eventual 4A champ Male, but did not play any Ohio teams. Highlands then played Elder in 99 and 2000. In 1997, HHS lost to Moeller by one point, then went undefeated until the infamous playoff Mud Bowl loss to CCH.

Ooops... :lol: ... thanks for the correction. I am going to stand by my comment that last year's team was the best though and the St. X. win is one of the biggest reasons why I say that.

Goes back to Ohio football is much better. It is harder to qualify for the playoffs in Ohio, and then generally you are tested in the playoffs, after the first week, which is something that cannot be said in the Commonwealth.

Hard to disagree with any of this (as much as I'd like to!). :D

Ooops... :lol: ... thanks for the correction. I am going to stand by my comment that last year's team was the best though and the St. X. win is one of the biggest reasons why I say that.

Who knows which team was really the best, but you do make a very good point... Highlands' win last year against Cincy St. X, a team that finished the 2009 regular season ranked first in Cincinnati, conferred upon HHS a level of respectability not often achieved when only playing KY competition. It's true that Class 3A Highlands in 1998 beat the eventual Class 4A champ Male that year, but I (and I suspect several others) often wonder how that 1998 'Birds squad would have fared against a first-rate Cincy team. Since it didn't happen that year, we'll never know. But, this uncertainty is something the 2009 Bluebirds will never have to contend with, having had taken on and beaten the Bombers!

Last year was the perfect storm for Highlands to beat St. Xavier but they did beat them and I think X was solid.

I do believe that the Trinity win over Elder when Elder won D1 was a bigger win. More impressive, not sure, but definitely bigger.

Last year was the perfect storm for Highlands to beat St. Xavier but they did beat them and I think X was solid.

I do believe that the Trinity win over Elder when Elder won D1 was a bigger win. More impressive, not sure, but definitely bigger.

Totally understandable position because Elder went on to win the Ohio championship. But of course that isn't the question presented in this thread you hi-jacker.:D In the words of one good friend of mine, feel free to start a thread about what win was bigger or more impressive. :banana:

Sorry my friend, I've just been waiting to do that for a while. :notworthy:

Totally understandable position because Elder went on to win the Ohio championship. But of course that isn't the question presented in this thread you hi-jacker.:D In the words of one good friend of mine, feel free to start a thread about what win was bigger or more impressive. :banana:

I love Pick on Ru Day.:dancingpa

I've heard that avatar's and post counts have been known to change. I've even heard "vacations" are offered.

Post counts I don't care about; avatars I care about because of the significance of mine; as for "vacations", well my clients would welcome a mandatory "vacation".

I'm sure I'll rue my earlier post the next time I post any thing off topic (like this post for example). It's coming from the Ru but that's sort of the fun just waiting for it to occur and wondering how and when.:D

You've seen that movie where humans are hunted as prey by other humans. I'm the prey.

Talk about thread jackers... Read the last few posts.

You brought up the winning state championships in D1 as a measuring stick so I added the part about Trinity to add perspective to your question.

To be specific to your question, some folks attempt to denigrate the Highlands win over Cincy X by claiming that X had a down year last year because they either believe that to be true or they are sick and tired of hearing about Highlands and think far too many people from Fort Thomas have a condescending attitude when it comes to Highlands football. :D